Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we through to the next round?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ajax score - if it finishes like this we only need a draw v Marseille to get straight through to Round of 16.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, that is to get into the group stage of the competition not the knockout stage.
Ok thank you. So the group stage will be over by the time we play our playoffs.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
and runners up of groups in Conference league.

‘The UEFA Europa Conference League knockout round play-offs involves 16 teams: the eight runners-up from the Europa Conference League group stage and the eight third-placed teams from the UEFA Europa League group stage.

The winners of the eight play-off ties advance to March's Europa Conference League round of 16, where they join the eight group winners’.

All straight forward really 🙂

That has completely fried my brain! So you're saying that we play some conference teams as well if we finish 2nd?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Don't be so mean! It's not like we've ever been in this situation before! :lolol: The only football I take any notice of at all is Brighton & strangely enough until last season I have never had to worry about which position in the PL you had to reach to get into Europe competitions!!! FFS, I didn't even realise there were 3 Europe competitions until last season. I just thought there was the CL. 🤷‍♀️😁

Had you realised it also doesn’t go to goal difference it goes head to head.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Ok thank you. So the group stage will be over by the time we play our playoffs.
The group stage finishes at the same time as the EL group stage.
The playoffs for both competitions are in Feb and the knockout rounds proper start in March which is why being knocked out in the EL playoffs means you cannot go into the Conference as they have already found their last 16 teams.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Penalty Marseille

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
and runners up of Conference league.

‘The UEFA Europa Conference League knockout round play-offs involves 16 teams: the eight runners-up from the Europa Conference League group stage and the eight third-placed teams from the UEFA Europa League group stage.

The winners of the eight play-off ties advance to March's Europa Conference League round of 16, where they join the eight group winners’.

All straight forward really 🙂

The Conference League is of no interest to us this season now. We cannot drop into it and will not be playing any team who are playing in it.

It’s quite simple and been repeated enough times on this thread.

Europa League group winners go through to the round of 16.

Runners up in Europa League groups go into the play off round and face a side who finished 3rd in the Champions League. Winners go through to the last 16, losers are out.

3rd places sides in Europa League groups drop into the Conference League play off round where they will play a Conference League group runner up for a place in the last 16 of that competition.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
This thread is classic NSC!

By the way, Young Boys Berne and Feyenoord will definitely finish third in their Champions League groups and will therefore play in the preliminary knock-out Europa League round in February.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
i

Not sure why you keep repeating what I said? 🤷‍♂️

I already pointed out that we in the very least will get to the Europa knock out play offs in February - I only mentioned the Conference league because someone was suggesting we could end up there - we can’t as I stated.

That isn’t how your post reads at all when read with the bit you’ve highlighted in the post you’ve also quoted.

IMG_3214.jpeg

What else could “and runners up of groups in Conference League” mean when you’ve clearly replied to someone saying finishing second gets a knock out game against a CL 3rd place side.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
This thread is classic NSC!

By the way, Young Boys Berne and Feyenoord will definitely finish third in their Champions League groups and will therefore play in the preliminary knock-out Europa League round in February.

This advert springs to mind when I hear of the possible teams we may play.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That isn’t how your post reads at all when read with the bit you’ve highlighted in the post you’ve also quoted.

View attachment 170537

What else could “and runners up of groups in Conference League” mean when you’ve clearly replied to someone saying finishing second gets a knock out game against a CL 3rd place side.
Well they were talking about CL 3rd place teams in the Europa - so my brain did a brain fart and went straight into taking about the Conference League - I subliminally thought they were referring to 3rd place finishes of the Europa League, I suppose.

Really though - I have no idea - I am trying to type with blurred vision, posts are increasingly difficult for me to read (I came home at lunchtime from work for an emergency appt at the optician as my eyes are now being effected by neurological disease) I’m using one finger on a mobile screen which is taking forever to type with constant editing of typos - which has only confused posts even further - especially when only half my replies and the ones I am responding to are visible while I am doing it..

It is like this:

1. Finish in 1st place - we go straight to the round of 16 in March
2. Finish in second - we go into the Europa League play offs and face Champions League runners up
3 Finish third - we drop to the Conference League and face runners up in the Conference League play offs (but hat is not going to happen because we have already secured at least a second place finish.

I’m pretty sure I have posted all this on other threads previously when I was more clear headed - I’ll try and find them if you wish

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here