Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we playing for 2nd place?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
I'm fairly sure the exact same thing would have been said last year after Boro thumped us at our place. Who would have realistically predicted that we'd be playing them in a winner takes all match for promotion on the last game of the season?

Newcastle are a very good team, with a comfortably mid-table premier league quality squad and manager. They are and absolutely should be the favorites. But we haven't even reached 2nd gear yet, we've played and lost to them this season (with 10 men), and we are struggling with injuries. The optimist in me says that we should actually get better, whereas it would be very difficult for Newcastle to keep up the form they have shown recently.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm expecting both of us to go through a rocky patch at some point. Possibly Dec-Jan. It'll be interesting to see who copes best when the going gets tough.

We won't match Newcastle's goal difference this year, but we only need one more point than them. I think we can do it, but we'll have to perform much better than we have been of late.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not waving the white flag just yet on finishing top.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Newcastle are a different class in this division. Are we playing for 2nd or are they not infallible?

If Newcastle were that different class they wouldn't have been dumped on their arse into the Championship. Tho probably WAY more different class than Sunderland who are Championship-bound and have been for some seasons. Now THERE'S one club that won't be bouncing straight back up again, parachute payments or no parachute payments.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If Newcastle were that different class they wouldn't have been dumped on their arse into the Championship. .

Thing is , they've spent £55 million over the summer so different side to that one that came down.

£55 million !!!! Ridiculous

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I'd be happy with second place, Newcastle and Norwich may beat us, but as long as we beat everyone else, we will go up.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I'd be happy with second place, Newcastle and Norwich may beat us, but as long as we beat everyone else, we will go up.

Newcastle 1st and Brighton 2nd.....but who would have predicted that Boro would not win the title last season after they won 3-0 at The Amex just before Christmas and then followed that soon after with a 2-0 home win against the then in-form Derby.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Out of sheer curiosity, I wonder what odds you could get on Benitez being fired this season?

I mean, how much of a bad patch would they need to have? They may be smashing everyone in sight currently, but even they will have a leaner patch at some stage. No team goes the entire season in top form, no matter how good they are.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Out of sheer curiosity, I wonder what odds you could get on Benitez being fired this season?

I mean, how much of a bad patch would they need to have? They may be smashing everyone in sight currently, but even they will have a leaner patch at some stage. No team goes the entire season in top form, no matter how good they are.

Dunno. But you can get 50/1 on him being the manager who succeeds Wenger...

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Anyone like to revise their opinion yet or still convinced Newcastle will have a bad spell?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Anyone like to revise their opinion yet or still convinced Newcastle will have a bad spell?

Chelsea came down in 88-89 win-less in first 6 games & lost 3 in that run,in front of 7,000 and 8,000 gates......got 99 points that year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just had a look though their fixtures, as if they are the Albion's, looking for a potential 'bad spell'.

If IF it's anywhere it seems to be a month after ours:-

v Norwich
Aston Villa
Bristol City
v Huddersfield
v Reading
Fulham.

I'm now off to find some straws to clutch.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The Arsenal Invincibles?

Has it been done at this level...........Our 5 losses last season must be up there as almost invincible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here