Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we one of the unluckiest clubs out there?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The key game for me was the Burnley game. If we had held on in that game we would be talking about who we should sign in order to stay-up rather than moaning about how unlucky we are. For a lot of the season while we were not coinciding many, we were not scoring many either. Two more goals over 46 games is all we needed. How many teams did we beat by a goal where we should have scored a hat-full?

biddles911

May 12, 2014
The key game for me was the Burnley game. If we had held on in that game we would be talking about who we should sign in order to stay-up rather than moaning about how unlucky we are. For a lot of the season while we were not coinciding many, we were not scoring many either. Two more goals over 46 games is all we needed. How many teams did we beat by a goal where we should have scored a hat-full?

Lost count of the number of "must win" games the doomsayers on various threads were flagging up but probably the only one that really justifies that tag was the Derby game.

It was always going to be a huge task to beat Boro away given their tremendous home record and a draw there was the most we could hope for, so winning against Derby was always our best chance.

Wasn't to be but we can still do it and I have a sneaking feeling that we will.

Seagullllllls.....

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Well I don't know about the unluckiest club out there, it certainly seemed that way over the last two games
But that's now six massive games over the last four seasons & we've failed to win any of them.

PALACE 2012/13 PLAY OFFS 0-0 away, 0-2 home
DERBY 2013/14 PLAY OFFS 1-2 home, 4-1 away
BORO FINAL GAME FOR PROMOTION 1-1 away
SHEFFIELD WED PLAY OFFS 2-0 away

We've sadly failed in every big game for obviously sometimes circumstances beyond our control.

It all doesn't seem just or far. But until we start winning these huge games we will certainly be staying in the Championship.

Hull 1-0
Sheffield Wed 0-0
Burnley 1-1
Derby 2-2
Middlesbrough 0-3
Hull 0-0
Sheffield Wed 0-0
Burnley 2-2
Derby 1-1
Middlesbrough 1-1
Sheffield Wed 0-2

If on Monday we have 2 goals wrongly disallowed for off side hit the woodwork twice have a player sent off when a Wednesday player dives with no contact and referee awards Wednesday a last minute penalty with us winning 2 nil for handball against dunk when it clearly hits his chest and they score from it then yes we can say we're the unluckiest team

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
If on Monday we have 2 goals wrongly disallowed for off side hit the woodwork twice have a player sent off when a Wednesday player dives with no contact and referee awards Wednesday a last minute penalty with us winning 2 nil for handball against dunk when it clearly hits his chest and they score from it then yes we can say we're the unluckiest team

How about if the ref awards a penalty against Bruno would that be fine?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
We lost promotion in the home game against Derby , we really didn't play well , I always fancied a draw at Borough , but never a win . Very dissapointed after Derby match , especially second half , I knew then we had blown it .
We never seem to win the big matches that really matter , why is it that in the last 5 play off matches we have only scored 2 goals ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ipswich just finished their 14th ! consecutive season in the Championship...
in the last 20 years they've been in the play-offs 7 times, losing in the semi finals 6 times.
Last year to Norwich of all things.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
in the last 20 years they've been in the play-offs 7 times, losing in the semi finals 6 times.

Would i take that for Brighton?...............heart says NO.......head says YES.........it would mean we would be established at this level and have some fun along the way.....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
With some recent results yes...

But overall we are just about the luckiest to have TB as our chairman, just look at those around us and way they conduct themselves....

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Interesting all this, made me rethink why I enjoy football and why I go. Should we miss out this season, and yes if that were to be the case I would suggest we have been a tad on the wrong side of Lady Luck, then there is so much to look forward to.

Winning (hopefully) more than we lose, not being tempted to not go to an 'away' as it's on Sky on a Sunday afternoon, avoiding trips to 'Boro and Hull, the usual Fulham and Brentford fun days. Villa Park and St James Park, Burton again etc etc.

The list goes on.

Great management on and off the pitch, a great club top to bottom.

I still think we can get what we need, but I'm certainly going all guns blazing glass half full despite the injuries.

:albion2:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Ipswich are the team with the longest record in one division outside the Premier League. No other team has spent more than 10 consecutive seasons in the same division anywhere in the Football League over the same time.

What this suggests is that we will be going somewhere in the next few seasons - either up or down - as will almost every other club.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
If we miss out on promotion this season I think any sane person without an axe to grind against us would agree we've been unlucky to have missed out on goal difference with such a large points tally overall, and sizeable gap to the chasing pack. A lot of people would also agree we've been unlucky with the key decisions in the Burnley and Boro games, but these alone don't make or break a whole season, there are so many other events and factors you could point to over the course of the season. Losing four players to injury in a game of Friday's importance is without doubt very unlucky.

But I don't think we're an unlucky club overall. In fact I think it is churlish and insulting to many other clubs who would kill to be where we are to even suggest we are. We certainly do things the hard way, as Tony said, but that's as much of our own making as anyone else's.

Last edited:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Bounce for the refereeing decision to allow Wednesday's first goal tonight when Dunk was clearly pushed over, we had momentum and the crowd going mental at the time.

Jul 7, 2003
We lost promotion in the home game against Derby , we really didn't play well , I always fancied a draw at Borough , but never a win . Very dissapointed after Derby match , especially second half , I knew then we had blown it .
We never seem to win the big matches that really matter , why is it that in the last 5 play off matches we have only scored 2 goals ?

Dunk's stupid sending off was the key. Disrupted the side and left us without cover when Goldson got his injury. He was fantastic tonight but his recklessness put us in a bad place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here