Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we more likely to win the champions league next season than win the championship?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't they fecking just!

Time for me to take a break from here I think.
What with the Potter hating revisionistas and the hyperbole crew, it's all getting very silly.
'Geeks" is calling you.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Odds to qualify for Champions League 20/1
Odds to win Champions League 500/1 (guess)
Odds to be relegated 250/1
Odds to win Championship 10/1 (guess)
Therefore more likely to win the Championship than the Champions League.
Inferiority complex again. If we were good enough (I don't think we are) to finish in the top 4 of the Premier League - the world's best league - then there is no way we'd be as long as 500-1 to win the Champions' League; it'd be more like 50-1 at most. So to do your calc again with current relegation odds of 500-1 (this morning):

Odds of relegation 500s
Odds of Championship 3-2
Double returns £1252 per £ so odds = 1251-1

Odds of top 4 - 20s
Odds of winning CL - 50s
Double returns £1071 per £ so odds = 1070-1

More likely to win CL - just.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Third option, and favourite, is relegation from the PL next season :wink:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The last 3 matches I saw in the flesh were Villa, Charlton and Arsenal.

yeah, put me down for “winning the Champions League“ [sigh]
The last 3 matches I saw were Southampton, Everton and Middlesbrough.:albion2:
Apart from observing that I should clearly attend more matches, I can't emphasise enough how utterly gash those three teams were.
Still, have to beat them to get the points. Except Boro, obviously.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Let's get a few home wins under our belt first. We have a very tricky 6 weeks coming up. Many winnable games which is always a worry plus the two Liverpool games. Let's reign in the cockiness a bit.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Ridiculously optimistic or unduly pessimistic, I am neither. However to answer the question, Championship winners. We will never win the Premier League but we will at some point get relegated.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Realistically, will we ever win The Premier League?

If we continue our trajectory, then yes, it is possible... but we would need to build a squad better than ALL of the big six (and Newcastle) for a season... which makes it incredibly unlikely. However, we've got this far... if we can continue adding top quality talent to the squad AND keep our best players, then who knows. Maybe. It's not impossible.

Qualifying for the Champions League? Very possible, but still unlikely... but let's say we managed to finish 4th. How likely would it be to win the thing? I think the best idea we can have is by looking at Man City's record - they've been world class for years now, qualifying every year, and still yet to win it... but could we do the one thing they have failed to do?..... Not a f***ing chance :ROFLMAO:
No. We haven't got enough money.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Either we are getting very ahead of ourselves or we are blessed with a number of people who just start a thread based on every stupid thought they have!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Inferiority complex again. If we were good enough (I don't think we are) to finish in the top 4 of the Premier League - the world's best league - then there is no way we'd be as long as 500-1 to win the Champions' League; it'd be more like 50-1 at most. So to do your calc again with current relegation odds of 500-1 (this morning):

Odds of relegation 500s
Odds of Championship 3-2
Double returns £1252 per £ so odds = 1251-1

Odds of top 4 - 20s
Odds of winning CL - 50s
Double returns £1071 per £ so odds = 1070-1

More likely to win CL - just.
Maybe 500/1 is a bit long but there are 5 teams in the knockout stages of the Champions League that I currently get 50/1 or longer on.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Maybe 500/1 is a bit long but there are 5 teams in the knockout stages of the Champions League that I currently get 50/1 or longer on.
None that qualified by placing in the Premier League though.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
FWIW, FiveThirtyEight have us at <1% to be relegated and 14% to qualify for the Champions League. Therefore, since you need to be in it, to win it, and we are more likely to be in the Champions League than the Championship next season (how wild is that?), we have to be more likely to win the Champions League than the Championship.

Of course, the odds either way are miniscule.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
More likely that Chelsea will sign RDZ and his staff when Potter is Sacked that either of the OP options occurring next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here