Are we going to sign a big money 25 goal a season striker

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we be signing a 25 goal a season striker before the season starts?

• Total voters

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Nope. Until we are actually playing at Falmer I just don't see any big name, big money signing joining.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's not that we don't want to sign one, it's because there aren't many of them about so any that are get snapped up fast and for quite a bit more money than we are prepared to spend.

Our best hope is to sign a 15-20 goal striker and hope we have 2 of them in that range.

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
We will definitely sign a striker before the transfer window closes, I just don't think it's going to be this mythical big name 25 goal striker that NSC seems obsessed about. Yes it would be lovely, but I've never understood exactly who people think is guaranteed to score 25 goals in this league that would actually want to play in it, let alone for a team that finished midtable last year; if they did it would be at Southampton (e.g. Lambert, Barnard) or Wednesday (e.g. Morrisson). Our best hope was only ever some randomer (from either League 2 or overseas) that we got lucky with. More likely we'll have Murray scoring 15-20, Barnes 10-15 and AN Other 5-10 and will be relying on goals from midfield, like pretty much EVERY other team in this division.

This is far more likely scenario. Murray fit will score goals this season. Barnes as well. It is the formation/style we play that will dictate where the goals come from. I think we will play 4-5-1/4-3-3 a lot this season in which goals from the midfield will be crucial. I can see Bennett, the Argentinians etc scoring 20-25 between them. A good TEAM rather than than any one individula is what we need to do well not just a "25 goal striker".

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A striker scoring 25 goals is as much about playing for the best team in the league as his team being up there BECAUSE he scored 25 goals.

It is a combination of the two.

The 25 goal a season striker is a BIT of a myth in that respect.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We won't get a 25 a season striker because that striker won't come here. We actually have two perfectly competent strikers, in Murray and Barnes, and one who might improve to the standards demanded, in Holroyd.

I do think the rest of the team is looking promising, and a top 6 place is still on the cards, especially if we can get Lua Lua down here on loan.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I REALLY hope Holroyd gets a goal soon. Even if it's a crap tap in against a team over in Portugal, I think he desperately needs one for his confidence.

He IS good on the ball, and also makes intelligent runs - he could've been played through against MK Dons about 8 or 9 times if the player in possession had been aware enough.

The only thing I think could hold him back is the fact a good gust of wind could knock him over. Otherwise I genuinely do rate him as a player.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont think that we will sign an established well known 25 goal a season man but we will sign a striker who will score 25 goals a slight difference. I think the man may well come from abroad somebody who we have never heard of.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Murray will do the job.
What is really important is the gap on the left of midfield and hopefully getting a free scoring midfielder, a lower league Lampard or Gerrard. All talk of a 25 goal a season man is rubbish there is no proof that if one is brought in he will get that and without the team around him no one would get that anyway.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
you think he can score every second game stats since 2004 has played 187
scored 65 thats close to a goal every 3 games ...............hence a 15 goal season man.

so we don't need this 25 goal man ?????

12 goals from 25 starts last season.

11 goals from 18 starts in 08/09.

9 goals from 20 starts in 07/08.

9 in 21 starts at Rochdale in 06/07 and 16 in 29 starts for them the season before.

113 starts 57 goals.

That's pretty good...

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
25 goals per season strikers are rarer then hens teeth and its not only about goals its about point winning goals, it is all well and good scoring 4 goals against Wycombe but its still only 3 points at the end of the day. consistency, discipline and the ability to play within a team are very important, if you are reliant on one player to score all your goals you are exposed. the more goal scoring players you have the harder you are to play against hence the importance of Bennett and Crofts last year.

Jamie_Seagull

Jun 22, 2010
Worthing
Well this poll just highlights the fact that most of the posters on here are so f***ing pessimistic!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The short and simple answer to the question is ... wait for it ...

NO!

There just arent enough of them about, and the ones that do exist, and their clubs are willing to sell, just cost far too much money, and demand inflated wages to boot.

The only striker l can currently see Gus taking a punt on, is this Norwegian lad on trial, at a fee rumoured to be no more than £50,000. He might just be worth a gamble.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
A fit Murray avoiding suspensions will get 20+ goals this season. Barnes 15+.....as mentioned it does depend what formation we play, i can also see goals from bennett, Sparrow, kishisev........we need another striker as another option but not necessarily this established 25 goal striker everyones going on about, i think we have a better all round team this season and would say we are stronger now than last season.....im pretty confident of a top ten hopefuly top 6 finish with the team we have now.......even more so if we sign a left winger and a fourth striker to add options up front.
If we do end up signing an established 25+ striker then even better!!!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have a feeling that Murray will turn out to be our 20 goal striker, with Barnes chipping in 10-15. Whether we can go up though will depend upon getting goals elsewhere and for that we will need another striker as I don't see any of the other options getting many goals.

The other worry is of course Murray needs to stay on the pitch! I think he missed 10 games through suspension alone last season, plus a few niggly injuries. A focused injury free Murray though is a quality striker for sure.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And he's playing 2 leagues above his level

Not in terms of technical ability. Definitely more technically gifted than Davies or Dickinson, no question.

He got MOM for a reason on his debut - he was quality.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
If we are serious about making a top 6 challenge then the answer has to be yes, if not then what we have as striking options should just about be good enough for mid table mediocrity.

Voted yes because we are v unlikely to be top 6 without one...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports