Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we going to sign a big money 25 goal a season striker

Will we be signing a 25 goal a season striker before the season starts?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
before the season starts.

NSC posts have been suggesting for months now that due to Falmer only being a year away, the number of players released and the money saved and the fact that we should have decent budget this season that one is on the way.

Many names have been mentioned, some ridiculous, some feasible but as of now...Zilch.

So simple question, are we gonna be seeing him by the time the season starts?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
If we are serious about making a top 6 challenge then the answer has to be yes, if not then what we have as striking options should just about be good enough for mid table mediocrity.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
If we are serious about making a top 6 challenge then the answer has to be yes, if not then what we have as striking options should just about be good enough for mid table mediocrity.

If we don't sign a 25 goal striker i think we will finish around 18th. Remember we have lost Forster who got quite a few last season. Murray,Barnes and Holroyld would be a disaster.We really are short of fire power.

The Phoenix

May 20, 2009
Eagle eyed view of you...
Not if you want to continue on your high horses about Palace spending too much money.

Best to sign a player who is proven at League One level who can bang a few goals in. Splashing out on upper league strikers for silly fees and silly wages, who then do f*** all on the pitch is one of the reasons why CPFC almost went tits up this summer.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
To say we will finish bottom half without a striker is in my view ridiculous. We had a fantastic run in the last 15 games of last season (getting 28 points) and that was with Murray, and later Barnes, as our strike options. Forster only started at Charlton and made one or two sub appearances in that time. We have a solid defence and good midfield, with players like Bennett and Sparrow who can hopefully score.

I really don't understand the pessimism of some people on here as in my view we have a stronger squad than the end of last season and had a great run then. How do a team who did so well at the end of last season suddenly become a team who will finish 18th?

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
To say we will finish bottom half without a striker is in my view ridiculous. We had a fantastic run in the last 15 games of last season (getting 28 points) and that was with Murray, and later Barnes, as our strike options. Forster only started at Charlton and made one or two sub appearances in that time. We have a solid defence and good midfield, with players like Bennett and Sparrow who can hopefully score.

I really don't understand the pessimism of some people on here as in my view we have a stronger squad than the end of last season and had a great run then. How do a team who did so well at the end of last season suddenly become a team who will finish 18th?

I agree. Our form over the last 23 games of the season put us 6th. Murray is a quality striker as it is and we only play one up front with two wingers. Back up to him is Barnes. We need another striker to give us more options and for if we want to change shap and put 2 up top but it's not the most essential thing. A left midfielder is far more important.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I agree. Our form over the last 23 games of the season put us 6th. Murray is a quality striker as it is and we only play one up front with two wingers. Back up to him is Barnes. We need another striker to give us more options and for if we want to change shap and put 2 up top but it's not the most essential thing. A left midfielder is far more important.

Exactly. I think we may well use different systems with the 4-5-1 being okay for tough away games, such as the Swindon game, and maybe 4-4-2 at home and winnable away games. I would like us to sign another striker, especially with Murray's disciplinary and injury record, but will not panic if Barnes starts as a lone striker at Swindon and Northampton.

We will definitely sign a striker before the transfer window closes, I just don't think it's going to be this mythical big name 25 goal striker that NSC seems obsessed about. Yes it would be lovely, but I've never understood exactly who people think is guaranteed to score 25 goals in this league that would actually want to play in it, let alone for a team that finished midtable last year; if they did it would be at Southampton (e.g. Lambert, Barnard) or Wednesday (e.g. Morrisson). Our best hope was only ever some randomer (from either League 2 or overseas) that we got lucky with. More likely we'll have Murray scoring 15-20, Barnes 10-15 and AN Other 5-10 and will be relying on goals from midfield, like pretty much EVERY other team in this division.

May 22, 2008
If Murray plays 50 games, he'll score 25 goals. :thumbsup:

you think he can score every second game stats since 2004 has played 187
scored 65 thats close to a goal every 3 games ...............hence a 15 goal season man.

so we don't need this 25 goal man ?????

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
you think he can score every second game stats since 2004 has played 187
scored 65 thats close to a goal every 3 games ...............hence a 15 goal season man.

so we don't need this 25 goal man ?????

Can I turn the question around? Given that Forster only played one or two of the last 15 games of last season and Dickinson and Davies didn't play at all, we got 28 points from those games (almost 2 points a game) with Murray and Barnes as our forward options. What has changed now? Why, when in my view we have strengthened defence and midfield since then are we suddenly going to struggle without a new forward? I would like us to sign one but don't agree it will end our hopes for the season if we don't, unlike some people on here.

May 22, 2008
Can I turn the question around? Given that Forster only played one or two of the last 15 games of last season and Dickinson and Davies didn't play at all, we got 28 points from those games (almost 2 points a game) with Murray and Barnes as our forward options. What has changed now? Why, when in my view we have strengthened defence and midfield since then are we suddenly going to struggle without a new forward? I would like us to sign one but don't agree it will end our hopes for the season if we don't, unlike some people on here.

very good question which i am sure time will tell but nice to have a plan B
to fall back on don't ya think Finchley seagull?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
very good question which i am sure time will tell but nice to have a plan B
to fall back on don't ya think Finchley seagull?

I agree. I do think we should and will sign another striker but I just don't think there is all the need for panic. If we start the season with Barnes as a lone striker with Murray to return for the Rochdale game, it is not the end of the world. Gus has said he wants another striker and I am sure that he will get someone by the end of August, and we may even get two if we sign the Norweigan triallist too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here