Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we going to regret letting Glenn Murray go - again?

Are we going to regret letting Glenn Murray go - again?

• Yes - don't let him go!

Votes: 77 60.2%
  • Nah - he's the past not the future

Votes: 51 39.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Yep, same as most January transfer windows. Anyone remember the last time that phrase was used and we ended up making a great signing? I don’t.
Locadia was a great signing, wasn't he? [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Locadia was a great signing, wasn't he? [emoji23]

Signed on 19 Jan so I don’t think the phrase being discussed was used at the time, it’s an end of window phrase :smile:

I actually liked Locadia, shame he came on against Saints knowing he was gone and put in zero effort because of it.

Bringing him back would give us more goal threat than we currently have, even if he played at half pace. He did know where the net was.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don’t think negotiations on players are anywhere near that simplistic. If we are interested in a player and are struggling to agree a value there is absolutely zero mileage in sending a message via the local rag. It’s not like the agent or club are going to read that whilst already in negotiations and go “oh shit maybe they’re not interested we’ll lower the asking price.

I’d suggest we are being readied for “incredibly difficult to compete at this level whilst remaining sustainable with our budget” to come after the window shuts and nobody of note has signed. I would so love to be wrong.
Whether it is the reality of negotiations or not, it seems to be what the club does.

I haven't ever read an article in the argus yet which goes... 'The club say they will make additions. When pressed on the potential difficulties, an unnamed well placed source said "no problem, we'll just throw more money at the deal" '. [emoji38]ol:

I might of course be wrong, but I suspect we'll sign a striker. Maybe on loan.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Signed on 19 Jan so I don’t think the phrase being discussed was used at the time, it’s an end of window phrase :smile:

I actually liked Locadia, shame he came on against Saints knowing he was gone and put in zero effort because of it.

Bringing him back would give us more goal threat than we currently have, even if he played at half pace. He did know where the net was.

He might be the only option left......

Personally, I think he's championship at best. In fact I think I would actually prefer Andone.

However, if recalled, he has the opportunity to turn his career here around. Of course to be fair on him it would mean us actually delivering a quality ball into the penalty area, so he has an opportunity.......

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Signed on 19 Jan so I don’t think the phrase being discussed was used at the time, it’s an end of window phrase [emoji2]

Bringing back Locadia ruins the loan-to-buy deal we seem to have*.

* source - transfermkt ( rubbish for player values, usually spot on with player contract statuses ).

See 'contract option' under player data :

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jurgen-locadia/profil/spieler/166240

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don’t think negotiations on players are anywhere near that simplistic. If we are interested in a player and are struggling to agree a value there is absolutely zero mileage in sending a message via the local rag. It’s not like the agent or club are going to read that whilst already in negotiations and go “oh shit maybe they’re not interested we’ll lower the asking price.

I’d suggest we are being readied for “incredibly difficult to compete at this level whilst remaining sustainable with our budget” to come after the window shuts and nobody of note has signed. I would so love to be wrong.

Remember the days when the Argus headlines were.......

Brighton have agreed a £250k deal with Fulham for .................. (John Lacy :) )........

The player has asked for a couple of days to think it over.......

Think he went to Tottenham in the end.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Remember the days when the Argus headlines were.......

Brighton have agreed a £250k deal with Fulham for .................. (John Lacy :) )........

The player has asked for a couple of days to think it over.......

Think he went to Tottenham in the end.

Lol are you suggesting that putting it out there threatens the deal? I would be staggered if agents weren’t touting until the moment the players signed and they will all be aware of who is negotiating with who. Clubs and agents do not scour local papers looking for targets to hijack.

Not putting it out there means we don’t get to be excited and then disappointed when it goes wrong, nothing more imo :shrug:

I would love to get excited about maybe signing someone and read all the posts about relatives, season tickets and shitehouse , even if it all came to nothing :lolol:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Classic Albion transfer story. It does also say we will do a deal if 'the right opportunity presents itself' which probably means we are hoping to do something or are negotiating a deal and we're trying to keep a lid on it.

If there's something left over in the bargain section after everyone else has taken decisive action?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He might be the only option left......

Personally, I think he's championship at best. In fact I think I would actually prefer Andone.

However, if recalled, he has the opportunity to turn his career here around. Of course to be fair on him it would mean us actually delivering a quality ball into the penalty area, so he has an opportunity.......

If only Andone didn't have the alleged attitude issues, and could control himself enough, not to get sent off.

I don't think he's worse than Maupay as a technically skilled player/finisher, he's also got experience of the Spanish top division and relegation scraps. If only someone could put an arm round him and help him just enough to wind his neck in a bit.

Maupay and Andone, when fit (Watford day 1) is a really good pairing, I'd love to see it again...... imho we already have what we need contracted to the club, Andone is a good attacker, just a shame hes injured and a bit of a wrongun by all accounts, but Shirley it's not insurmountable for a manager qualified in psychology and emotional intelligence?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Lol are you suggesting that putting it out there threatens the deal? I would be staggered if agents weren’t touting until the moment the players signed and they will all be aware of who is negotiating with who. Clubs and agents do not scour local papers looking for targets to hijack.

Not putting it out there means we don’t get to be excited and then disappointed when it goes wrong, nothing more imo :shrug:

I would love to get excited about maybe signing someone and read all the posts about relatives, season tickets and shitehouse , even if it all came to nothing :lolol:

Think you’ve misinterpreted my point [emoji2]
I should have added, everything seemed much easier then......

Player power, agents, not everything has moved forward.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If only Andone didn't have the alleged attitude issues, and could control himself enough, not to get sent off.

I don't think he's worse than Maupay as a technically skilled player/finisher, he's also got experience of the Spanish top division and relegation scraps. If only someone could put an arm round him and help him just enough to wind his neck in a bit.

Maupay and Andone, when fit (Watford day 1) is a really good pairing, I'd love to see it again...... imho we already have what we need contracted to the club, Andone is a good attacker, just a shame hes injured and a bit of a wrongun by all accounts, but Shirley it's not insurmountable for a manager qualified in psychology and emotional intelligence?

I'm less concerned by his attitude, and even the most monumental of dick heads can learn to wind it in enough to not get sent off every other week, with a bit of practice (Vinny Samways excepted). I'm more concerned that Flozza is made of crisps.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here