Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we about to ruin Lens' season?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bonely was directly in touch with Potter over Cucu. Do you believe that it never ever entered the conversation like 'would you ever think about moving to Chelsea?' or 'if the Chelsea manager position became free, would you be interested in the vacancy?'

Was he ? Source ?

Surprised that Barber & Weir wouldn’t have handled it all

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Probably should be on a Potter/Bruno thread but I am feeling less angry towards Bruno. Potter was always going.

So really it’s anger - ambivalence - understanding

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Unlike how big a club Chelsea is compared to Brighton, maybe a lot of Lens fans will be thinking but this is a quite small English club which has spent most of its history in the lower leagues.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Frank Haise now evens favourite with the bookies.

I know a Lens fan who is incandescent. We can't exactly complain about being shafted by Chelsea if we do the same to Lens, can we?

Depends if he brought entire coaching staff, recruitment individual, analyst…..

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You are probably right.

It does strike me as odd though that Chelsea sacked Tuchel and had Potter announced within a day or so. We have a "succession plan" in place for when any staff leave and yet we haven't appointed anybody a week later.

The undue haste with which Potter was appointed at Chelsea following Tuchel's sacking makes me think that "something" must have happened before Tuchel had been dismissed. It does whiff a bit.

If TB had a specific candidate in mind rather than a list of potential candidates, and was willing to spend £100m (£23m compensation, £60m salary for the new manager and probably about £20m for the other guys) to get him in... it would have been a very quick deal I imagine.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If TB had a specific candidate in mind rather than a list of potential candidates, and was willing to spend £100m (£23m compensation, £60m salary for the new manager and probably about £20m for the other guys) to get him in... it would have been a very quick deal I imagine.

I'd imagine that things would have moved much quicker had the 2 games not been postponed.

The gap gives the Albion time to perform all the necessary due diligence, a luxury we possibly wouldn't have had otherwise.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'd imagine that things would have moved much quicker had the 2 games not been postponed.

The gap gives the Albion time to perform all the necessary due diligence, a luxury we possibly wouldn't have had otherwise.

Agree a 100%. If it wasnt for that, I think there would have been a new manager in place by now (though Crofts would probably have taken the Bournemouth game).

If you have a good name and can get him quickly, great. If you have five good names and can take the time to find out which one of those five that would fit the club, even better.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I don't think the current 'open all hours' approach discourages that

Out of the manager changes last season, how many of those changes were because the manager resigned to move to a bigger club and how many of those were sacked due to poor results ?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Out of the manager changes last season, how many of those changes were because the manager resigned to move to a bigger club and how many of those were sacked due to poor results ?
Not sure I follow your logic. Even if someone resigned to go to a bigger club it’s because somebody, somewhere got sacked and the.vacancy appeared.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Not sure I follow your logic. Even if someone resigned to go to a bigger club it’s because somebody, somewhere got sacked and the.vacancy appeared.

I just don’t think a managers transfer window will be healthy.

Managers get sacked because results are bad, new manager comes in to replace them - simple as that. Been like that for years, it’s part of football.

Why create a window where it is encouraging chairman to change managers ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve got a mate who is German and he says he is shit Haise

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010

Managers get sacked because results are bad, new manager comes in to replace them - simple as that. Been like that for years, it’s part of football.

I think it’s more about creating a window that stops them changing manager, unless they recruit an out of contract manager or promote with their club. Why should an incompetent chairman at Chelsea potentially ruin the season of several clubs.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

but we have windows that encourage clubs to buy and sell players...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I also think it would be good because it would give managers the chance to turn things round rather get sacked by trigger-happy chairmen because they've lost a few games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here