Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we a bunch of girls blouses.?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You can hazard a guess but not find evidence. He played for England, as did Jack Charlton. They were hard but not thugs who ended careers.

I repeat, watch some of the videos on Youtube, in particular the video Norman bites your legs, brilliant tackle, complete and utter thuggery that he somehow got away with! Looks like he damn near killed the guy he pole axed when making no attempt for the ball...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Players didn't need to be snide in the early '70s, because they could openly and deliberately break someone's leg and get only a booking. Frank Casper's career was ended, just after he got into the England squad, by Hunter. He had crossed the ball for the fourth goal in a 4-1 win at Elland Road, and was off the pitch, when Hunter took him out. Leeds were the biggest bunch of thugs in a fairly thuggish era (and their fans took after the players) and a lot of the "we hate Leeds" mentality that exists in the north, at least, comes from that era. Reaney and Eddie Gray were the only decent players they had.

Blimey it's a while since I heard that guys name

theboybilly

Hamm seem to remember Hunter and Francis Lee having a full blown fight with Lee throwing windmill punches, not sure Hunter is the best to hold up as an example of hard but fair.

Indeed. Anybody suggesting Norman Hunter, or most of the Leeds side of the 60s or early 70s weren't dirty didn't see them in action. This is the reason the are still detested today by many - not their fan's thinking they are Champions of Europe

Jan 10, 2014
Course it's a mans game isn't it ....tell me why was Barton whinging at the ref for ten mins because someone had the temerity to tackle him? Silly **** wants it both ways ..Bonsoir

Of course it's a mans game, it's also a cynical game nowadays which I don't like and I'm sure you don't like either.

We obviously didn't see Bruno, Knockaert and Dunk whining to the ref all game either.

Six of one, half a dozen of t'other.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. Anybody suggesting Norman Hunter, or most of the Leeds side of the 60s or early 70s weren't dirty didn't see them in action. This is the reason the are still detested today by many - not their fan's thinking they are Champions of Europe

There's a huge difference between being dirty and thuggery.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I was stood in the East Stand, halfway line, ball was in the North End penalty area when John Gregory kicked their little ginger haired winger about six foot into the air. I was maybe ten feet away. Couldn't believe my eyes. That was thuggery and took the winger out of the game. Barton achieved the same thing on Saturday and took out Beram. Call it professionalism if you want and he didn't even get booked. Beram was not the same for the rest of the game so I guess Barton got what he wanted. It's shit but lets just move on and stop all the whingeing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I remember games full of of thuggery and controversy from the the sixties and seventies which would have made Saturday's game seem like a friendly kick about.
Fans these days think that a blood and thunder tackle should be a red card
But the laws of the game have changed and obviously teams have to play within those laws. So when the opposition commit offences and don't get punished, of course we're annoyed. It's nothing to do with whether we mind people hitting each other or not. I'm quite happy to watch a night of MMA without complaining, but the rules are a little different.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Of course it's a mans game, it's also a cynical game nowadays which I don't like and I'm sure you don't like either.

We obviously didn't see Bruno, Knockaert and Dunk whining to the ref all game either.

Six of one, half a dozen of t'other.

The mans game bit was slightly tongue in cheek in view of Bartons tweet later on....and you still don't get it re Barton

Jan 10, 2014
You've got the gender the wrong way round. That was also my ex of many years ago. I don't owe him any loyalty.

Please accept my apologies Thunder Bolt, gender doesn't translate through a screen on a laptop and I just assumed.

I'm putting myself on the naughty step as of now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The difference today is that you get the perpetrator popping up on twitter, pretending it was an innocent accident.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I thought the Burnley game was probably the best game I have seen at the Amex. Loads of fans think the ref was useless, Barton was an assassin, Naylor is a plonker for defending Barton etc etc. I remember games full of of thuggery and controversy from the the sixties and seventies which would have made Saturday's game seem like a friendly kick about.

Haven't read 6 pages.
I agree regarding the rather physical nature of the game from yesteryear, however football has progressively moved on, whether we like it or not, and the game we would watch in the 70s is now long gone. It also seems to me that from the past it was more about tough tackling than deliberately trying to put someone in hospital. Hard but fair, an unwritten code. An those guys were hard, not the cowardice portrayed by this modern day thug, he wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes against a Don Revie Leeds side. And the ref was pretty poor, you have to agree?

Fans these days think that a blood and thunder tackle should be a red card and slag off all and sundry and go nuts if the player gives some wind up back at the crowd.
Excitement and passion is what it's all about for me and the Burnley game had it in spades. Can't wait for the last 7 games.

Nothing wrong with a crunching 'blood and thunder' tackle, but just by the nature of calling it a tackle, that is precisely what it is... a tackle. Not the thuggery of someone that cannot stand being treated with footballing contempt from a masterclass by Kayal. And if that was not a red card offence in the modern game then let the floodgates open and let's have a stamping contest!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I was stood in the East Stand, halfway line, ball was in the North End penalty area when John Gregory kicked their little ginger haired winger about six foot into the air. I was maybe ten feet away.

Smaller pitches back then?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I thought the Burnley game was probably the best game I have seen at the Amex. Loads of fans think the ref was useless, Barton was an assassin, Naylor is a plonker for defending Barton etc etc. I remember games full of of thuggery and controversy from the the sixties and seventies which would have made Saturday's game seem like a friendly kick about.
Fans these days think that a blood and thunder tackle should be a red card and slag off all and sundry and go nuts if the player gives some wind up back at the crowd.
Excitement and passion is what it's all about for me and the Burnley game had it in spades. Can't wait for the last 7 games.

Can't disagree! I think we had the initial disappointment of 2 points dropped and injustice at Barton-gate, but yes, it was a great game, fantastic atmosphere, and is what supporting is all about. Definitely one of my Amex highlights. Onwards - and hopefully upwards...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
John Templeman, Paul Clark, Nobby Horton among many BHAFC players I have watched over the years who absolutely loved a cruncher. Have no recollection of any of them deliberately stamping on an opponent.

Barton is a total disgrace.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13

Absolutely agree

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whatever way you dice it up Barton was a disgrace and the officials were a disgrace. You shouldn't need that stuff in order to derive entertainment from the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here