Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we a bunch of girls blouses.?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well stop writing crap then. The games changed. I'll see if I can find some old Pathe news footage for you.

The game hasn't changed that much. The OP is posting nonsense. I watched games in the 60s, & tackles were harder but there wasn't much thuggery, just an occasional player as is the case nowadays. I can remember the likes of Norman Hunter for Leeds, who would commit sliding tackles, but didn't stamp on people.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I thought the Burnley game was probably the best game I have seen at the Amex. Loads of fans think the ref was useless, Barton was an assassin, Naylor is a plonker for defending Barton etc etc. I remember games full of of thuggery and controversy from the the sixties and seventies which would have made Saturday's game seem like a friendly kick about.
Fans these days think that a blood and thunder tackle should be a red card and slag off all and sundry and go nuts if the player gives some wind up back at the crowd.
Excitement and passion is what it's all about for me and the Burnley game had it in spades. Can't wait for the last 7 games.

Agree with a lot of what you say. We all like a good villain but Barton's actions were OTT and the fact he got away with it adds insult to the very real injury. The vitriol aimed at him was deserved but it is getting a bit boring now, time to move on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just hope the team has got over Saturday better than NSC.

If it hasn't they won't even make the playoffs.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The game hasn't changed that much. The OP is posting nonsense. I watched games in the 60s, & tackles were harder but there wasn't much thuggery, just an occasional player as is the case nowadays. I can remember the likes of Norman Hunter for Leeds, who would commit sliding tackles, but didn't stamp on people.

Hamm seem to remember Hunter and Francis Lee having a full blown fight with Lee throwing windmill punches, not sure Hunter is the best to hold up as an example of hard but fair.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hamm seem to remember Hunter and Francis Lee having a full blown fight with Lee throwing windmill punches, not sure Hunter is the best to hold up as an example of hard but fair.

Sure there have been punch ups but not thuggery. Trying to break someone's leg is thuggery.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
OP has made a great point. Who remembers 'Clarky's gonna get ya'. He broke Lil Fucillos's leg. What if Nobby Horton had made that leap and come down on someone's leg. Robin Friday kicked Lawro in the face and then shat in his bag. Jimmy Case could put himself about and we loved it.

Too much time spent on debating incident's in one ****ing game. Get over it, man up and concentrate on Brum away tomorrow.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sure there have been punch ups but not thuggery. Trying to break someone's leg is thuggery.

Think videos on YouTube show otherwise. Hunter and those of his era thought nothing of going through the back of the man and I hazard a guess that some of his tackles finished a career! Guess the difference is he was blatant while Barton was a snide!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Think videos on YouTube show otherwise. Hunter and those of his era thought nothing of going through the back of the man and I hazard a guess that some of his tackles finished a career! Guess the difference is he was blatant while Barton was a snide!

You can hazard a guess but not find evidence. He played for England, as did Jack Charlton. They were hard but not thugs who ended careers.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

Players didn't need to be snide in the early '70s, because they could openly and deliberately break someone's leg and get only a booking. Frank Casper's career was ended, just after he got into the England squad, by Hunter. He had crossed the ball for the fourth goal in a 4-1 win at Elland Road, and was off the pitch, when Hunter took him out. Leeds were the biggest bunch of thugs in a fairly thuggish era (and their fans took after the players) and a lot of the "we hate Leeds" mentality that exists in the north, at least, comes from that era. Reaney and Eddie Gray were the only decent players they had.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I thought the Burnley game was probably the best game I have seen at the Amex. Loads of fans think the ref was useless, Barton was an assassin, Naylor is a plonker for defending Barton etc etc. I remember games full of of thuggery and controversy from the the sixties and seventies which would have made Saturday's game seem like a friendly kick about.
Fans these days think that a blood and thunder tackle should be a red card and slag off all and sundry and go nuts if the player gives some wind up back at the crowd.
Excitement and passion is what it's all about for me and the Burnley game had it in spades. Can't wait for the last 7 games.

I do actually get your point to be fair!
Real physical contest and a give it all your body can give game is great......but other than Barton realising Kayal had the better of him in every aspect and Barton having to resort to nothing more than a 2 bob show of his only known response!
The rest of their team were not like him and other than him, the game itself was not a really bad natured affair so don't think our team is in anyway a bit soft! And think our disciplinary record might suggest we arn't too soft?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Players didn't need to be snide in the early '70s, because they could openly and deliberately break someone's leg and get only a booking. Frank Casper's career was ended, just after he got into the England squad, by Hunter. He had crossed the ball for the fourth goal in a 4-1 win at Elland Road, and was off the pitch, when Hunter took him out. Leeds were the biggest bunch of thugs in a fairly thuggish era (and their fans took after the players) and a lot of the "we hate Leeds" mentality that exists in the north, at least, comes from that era. Reaney and Eddie Gray were the only decent players they had.

I know that team as I was living there at the time, married to a Leeds fan.

We had a player called Richard Carpenter who broke a player's leg, which ended his career. It went to court when he was sued. I wouldn't call Chippy a thug.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

You can't play the ball and then clean someone out like the tackle by Vinnie Jones on Gary Stevens which realistically ended his career. You have to be in some sort of control but I certainly take your point on the example you give about Hunter.

http://youtu.be/x4ldo4KNj3M

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here