are there law's against horses?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You were asked if you asked them to let you pass and your response was that there were other cyclists ringing bells. Ringing bells is not asking politely.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Also worth remembering that while motorists and cyclists could be said to have full control of their transportation a horse-rider is trying to con 2 tonnes of mental into thinking they are in charge.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Horses add nothing to this world, they are not a national cuisine and we are better off without them. They are only for loney people to find companionship and they struggle to connect with humans and the horses cannot really escape them
That argument could apply to almost every domestic animal.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have enjoyed many a decent horse steak with a glass of vin rouge to wash it down.

Reading this thread brought me to wonder whether chewing on a cyclist might bring even greater culinary pleasure

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Horses, like smoking, should be banned in public spaces.

If you want to ride a horse, do it in the privacy of your own home.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
ofcourse, there were several other cyclists ringing bells etc aswell

Well, what a bunch of geek c **ts then!

Don't you nerds realise they are animals, and often easily spooked. It would have served someone right if they had been trampled by the horses.

The clue is in the word "Bridleway" not push-bike way.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Also worth remembering that while motorists and cyclists could be said to have full control of their transportation a horse-rider is trying to con 2 tonnes of mental into thinking they are in charge.

Brilliant.

My wife always says to me that I should try horse riding. I don't fancy it. She says that I ride a motorbike and thus much more dangerous.

My stock reply is that my motorbike will never spook when it sees a drain cover and throw me off. Also it speeds up and stops when I tell it too, not when it feels like.

She normally leaves the argument there.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Well, what a bunch of geek c **ts then!

Don't you nerds realise they are animals, and often easily spooked. It would have served someone right if they had been trampled by the horses.

The clue is in the word "Bridleway" not push-bike way.

This. (I hate "this" to be my response to a post, but I felt your post needed it).

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Public bridleways
See also: Bridle path
Bridleway fingerpost

A public bridleway is a way over which the general public have the following, but normally (only 'normally' because of Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 at s56(1)(b) ) no other rights:

to travel on foot and
to travel on horseback or leading a horse, with or without a right to drive animals of any description along the way.

Note that although Section 30 of the Countryside Act 1968 permits the riding of bicycles on public bridleways, the act says that it "shall not create any obligation to facilitate the use of the bridleway by cyclists". Thus the right to cycle exists even though it may be difficult to exercise on occasion. Cyclists using a bridleway are also obliged to give way to other users on foot or horseback.

Public bridleways are shown as long green dashes on Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 maps, or long red dashes on 1:50,000 maps. They are often waymarked using a blue arrow on a metal or plastic disc or, more informally, by blue paint dots on posts and trees.
Byways open to all traffic

Rights of way in England and Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
This. (I hate "this" to be my response to a post, but I felt your post needed it).

I do wonder if "that" as an ocassional alternative, would be as readily understood - they are after all, by definition, readily interchangeable,

this (pronoun) - (used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as present, near, just mentioned or pointed out, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis): This is my coat

that (pronoun) - (used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as pointed out or present, mentioned before, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis): That is my taxi.

:dunce:

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I can relate to this thread. A couple of months ago, I was driving to my sister's for sunday lunch, when I encountered a little girl on horseback, in the middle of the road, accompanied by two adults on either side of her. I pulled up behind them, allowing some distance so as not to disturb the horse, and waited patiently for them to move aside so that I could pass. So I waited... and waited ....and waited! They all turned around and saw me there, then just turned back around and carried on strolling along at snail pace. In a moment of anger, I put the car in reverse, and went to turn around so that I could go up the next road which runs parallel. I didn't see the low wall behind me as I did a 3 point turn .... BANG .... £100 worth of damage thank you very much! I happened to glance up to see the little girl and two adults all looking back to see what the loud bang was.

After inspecting the damage, I got back in the car and headed for the adjacent road. By the time I reached it and turned in, guess who I should see coming back down that road? Yep, the little girl on the horse accompanied by the two adults. By this time I was seething as I performed another 3 point turn to go back to the road I was originally on. Horses shouldn't be on the road, there are plenty of pathways elsewhere for them to use. I repaired most of the damage to my car, but the whole rear corner is bent inwards now, creating a huge gap between the boot and the main body - probably halved the value of the car now. grrrrrr

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I can relate to this thread. A couple of months ago, I was driving to my sister's for sunday lunch, when I encountered a little girl on horseback, in the middle of the road, accompanied by two adults on either side of her. I pulled up behind them, allowing some distance so as not to disturb the horse, and waited patiently for them to move aside so that I could pass. So I waited... and waited ....and waited! They all turned around and saw me there, then just turned back around and carried on strolling along at snail pace. In a moment of anger, I put the car in reverse, and went to turn around so that I could go up the next road which runs parallel. I didn't see the low wall behind me as I did a 3 point turn .... BANG .... £100 worth of damage thank you very much! I happened to glance up to see the little girl and two adults all looking back to see what the loud bang was.

After inspecting the damage, I got back in the car and headed for the adjacent road. By the time I reached it and turned in, guess who I should see coming back down that road? Yep, the little girl on the horse accompanied by the two adults. By this time I was seething as I performed another 3 point turn to go back to the road I was originally on. Horses shouldn't be on the road, there are plenty of pathways elsewhere for them to use. I repaired most of the damage to my car, but the whole rear corner is bent inwards now, creating a huge gap between the boot and the main body - probably halved the value of the car now. grrrrrr

A reversing alarm system might be a good investment ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here