Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

are there law's against horses?

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
yesterday i went out for a bike ride along the down's link between Cranleigh and Guildford about 5 miles through i encountered 6 horses walking 4 and 2 abreast taking up the WHOLE of the relatively thin path plodding along at 5mph, we had to stay behind them for over 1/2 a mile before we could get past (they knew we were there) and about 15 over cyclist's as well, safe to say they weren't (cyclists) happy and i think almost everyone exchange words or (hooted there bells) at them, so are there any rules against horses?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, they always say " Slow down for horses "

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
The rules are; Ask them politely to move and if they don't create as much noise as you can so it spooks the horses. When they bolt you can ride on.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Did you consider asking them to make room for you to pass?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Perhaps there wasn't space to pass safely, and the horse riders saved you a kicking?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm guessing it was a bridle-path.

Just as motorists should chill out and slow down when stuck behind a cyclist you should just sit up and enjoy the view if stuck behind some horses.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I would presume it depends what the 'path' was. If it was a bridleway, the horses would have priority, but if it was a designated cycle path, cyclists would have priority.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Downslink is a bridleway therefore they have as much right as you being there. If people were ringing their bells then I guess they waited for a large space for overtaking to stop the horses being spooked, saved you a possible accident as well as those on the horses.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
I'm guessing it was a bridle-path.

Just as motorists should chill out and slow down when stuck behind a cyclist you should just sit up and enjoy the view if stuck behind some horses.

view? horses arse and shit coming out? should be a law for horse rider's to pick there horse's shit up, dog owners have too.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Downslink is a bridleway therefore they have as much right as you being there. If people were ringing their bells then I guess they waited for a large space for overtaking to stop the horses being spooked, saved you a possible accident as well as those on the horses.

i don't mind horses on bridleways as there ment to be there it was how many abreast they were! people moan about cyclists going 3 abreast...

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I tend to find that all horse riders say thank you when I move off the path when I'm out with the dogs (also put the dogs on a lead). The majority of cyclists I admit do the same, but there are always some, usually the "Hardcore" equipment freaks who just glare at you like you had no right to be there. Always tempted to let the dogs go and see how fast the lycra clad tw@t can cycle.

Of course that is on no way related to the original post, but I assume the horse riders were waiting for somewhere safe for passing to occur, particularly if it was a group that were perhaps from a riding school?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How does won hoot there bell?

(all mistakes intentional but the question remains)

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
How does won hoot there bell?

(all mistakes intentional but the question remains)

i thought about that while writing it and it didn't occur to me until after that they do in fact ring there bells.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Well if the path was thin, you shouldn't pass anyway as there is a good chance that you will get kicked as you go past. And you shouldn't sit behind them ringing your bell. I bet the horse rider got pissed off with you for doing that and they are less likely to let you pass if you are rude. Just ask politely and if there is not enough room just wait until there is. But it isn't as if cyclists ever hold people up is it? People on this forum say that they cycle abreast with other people on the road to stop people overtaking when it is not safe to do so and it is the same for people on horses.

Sussax

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2012
Brighton
Well if the path was thin, you shouldn't pass anyway as there is a good chance that you will get kicked as you go past. And you shouldn't sit behind them ringing your bell. I bet the horse rider got pissed off with you for doing that and they are less likely to let you pass if you are rude. Just ask politely and if there is not enough room just wait until there is. But it isn't as if cyclists ever hold people up is it? People on this forum say that they cycle abreast with other people on the road to stop people overtaking when it is not safe to do so and it is the same for people on horses.

yes, but cyclist are in the unfortunate position of being too slow on the road and get complaints and being too quick for the pathways and complain.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Horses add nothing to this world, they are not a national cuisine and we are better off without them. They are only for loney people to find companionship and they struggle to connect with humans and the horses cannot really escape them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here