[Misc] Are there any vegans on here ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
First encountered Veganism nearly 20 years ago when I and work colleague had to spend two days in Newark surveying a Factory for Asbestos. Huw had recently married a French girl who was Vegan and seeing in his own words 'I didn't eat much meat anyway' he gave it a whirl.

I wasn't looking forward to our evening meal but in 'orrible dirty Newark we came upon an Asian veggie restaurant which to Huws astonishment was mostly vegan as well. One of the best meals I have ever had. Won't bore you with what we had but was all superb.

I'm still an omnivore but don't eat red meat too often these days (found two venison steaks in freezer the other day which did get disposed of quite fast, ahem). Can't give up Fish or Dairy Products either...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We have a 10year old granddaughter who is vegan - her own volition, nothing to do with being in a vegan household because her parents are both meat-eaters. She’s also the environmental champion in her (Welsh) primary school.

We eat far less meat now than we did in the past mainly for health reasons, but still enjoy a steak occasionally.
What I don’t understand is vegetarians who eat fish. If your convictions are good for animals, why not fish?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
All but one of my friends are vegetarian, ditto all but one of my family (plus one who is all out vegan). Easy to cope with the veggies, although sometimes the vegan one gets a bit tricky. Happy to eat vegetarian in company, and often do on my own, but still like a bit of chicken breast in my stir fry, or a proper sausage for breakfast (sorry, but no matter what successes veggie food manufactrers have had providing veggie alternatives, sausages ain't one of 'em!)
Less meat rather than no meat. I'm happy to be doing my bit for the planet and animal welfare with that!
Spot on - love reading things like that… balance is absolutely key… that and your well-being and happiness with the diet you’ve chosen.

I think we’re about 4 years in… it’s not always easy, but we’ve discovered the joy of veggie dishes galore… nothing ridiculous or trendy just good old fashioned green goodness!

As a note, having worked with upland farmers - balance is key, as eating sustainably when it comes to meat supports the farming industry, protects generational land management knowledge and keeps a huge part of our economy ticking over…

It’s all about balance.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I will answer this as I don’t eat meat but eat fish, I gave up meat because of an ongoing health issue. I don’t label myself as a vegetarian though.
I appreciate that. Mrs DiS had her gall bladder taken out a year or so ago so that is partly why our diet has changed. We do both like fish very much, though.
What I don’t understand is “conviction” vegetarians for whom fish are fair game. Do fish not count as living breathing beings?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What I don’t understand is vegetarians who eat fish. If your convictions are good for animals, why not fish?

I'm not one a pescatarian but I imagine the reasoning may be as follows:

From an animal welfare perspective, they might feel fish don't experience fear and pain in the same way as mammalian creatures. I'm not sure the evdence bears this out though. However, you could make a good case for the eating of bivalves. I imagine some pescatarians just find lambs cuter than monkfish.

Then there's the environmental factors. No doubt a pescatarian diet has a lower impact than an omnivorous one. Vegetarian/vegan would be better still but it's a step in the right direction, I guess.

Finally, there's the perceived health benefits. Oh, and fish and seafood is tasty. Gochujang mussels on the menu at Casa Bakero this evening. Might throw a few clams and prawns in too.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We have a 10year old granddaughter who is vegan - her own volition, nothing to do with being in a vegan household because her parents are both meat-eaters. She’s also the environmental champion in her (Welsh) primary school.

We eat far less meat now than we did in the past mainly for health reasons, but still enjoy a steak occasionally.

Because people should be able to eat what they want for whatever reasons.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'conviction' vegetarians as the only people I have come across who believe that eating meat is wrong have all been vegans :shrug:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I appreciate that. Mrs DiS had her gall bladder taken out a year or so ago so that is partly why our diet has changed. We do both like fish very much, though.
What I don’t understand is “conviction” vegetarians for whom fish are fair game. Do fish not count as living breathing beings?
I became a pescatarian after I couldn't dissociate what I was actually eating. Too many bloody medium well done steaks in restaurants I think.

That hasn't yet to me when I eat fish. Though chefs who refuse to cook tuna and try to serve me a jelly are trying.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I became a pescatarian after I couldn't dissociate what I was actually eating. Too many bloody medium well done steaks in restaurants I think.

That hasn't yet to me when I eat fish. Though chefs who refuse to cook tuna and try to serve me a jelly are trying.

A well-done steak or over-cooked tuna are enough to turn anyone vegan.

Years ago, I worked in a pub kitchen and the only thing that saddened me more than having to cremate steaks for philistines was the time a woman sent back her tuna as it wasn't cooked enough :cry:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Years ago, I worked in a pub kitchen and the only thing that saddened me more than having to cremate steaks for philistines was the time a woman sent back her tuna as it wasn't cooked enough :cry:
I guess my idea of food as an art form doesn't involve dripping in blood and yours does.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No they don't :)
Some do. My mate's wife is pescatarian and says that's what she is when asked, otherwise doesn't bother volunteering it at all. She doesn't get on with red meat for health reasons and found chicken bland and that's her reason. It has meant their kids are vegetarian - proper vegetarian - by choice. Matey isn't though but only eats meat away from the house. We're off for a walking holiday in Slovakia in a few weeks and I'm expecting it to be red meat central!

As for vegans, fine if that's how you want to live your life, but can't stand the evangelical ones. No different to evangelical anything else. Stop thinking your lifestyle choice is right for everyone else, especially if it involves eating a piece of fruit and few seeds every day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This. See also people who think 'tuna' is just that canned mush that smells like cat food (or, er, something else....)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Because people should be able to eat what they want for whatever reasons.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'conviction' vegetarians as the only people I have come across who believe that eating meat is wrong have all been vegans :shrug:
Back in the day, being jolly old, vegan to me seems a comparatively recent concept. 50 years ago I knew someone at Uni who was vegetaria, but I don’t think I would have been aware of veganism….. if it existed. So by conviction vegetarians I mean people who choose not to eat meat for moral reasons rather than health/diet reasons. And I don’t get how people can think it’s wrong to kill animals for food, but that doesn’t extend to fish.

And don’t get me wrong, I have no problems with whatever dietary regime people want to adopt. When our granddaughter is with us, we will happily eat vegetarian with her. If vegetarians think it’s ok to eat fish, then I am not going to get upset about it. I would just like to know the reasoning behind it. Each to his own!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm not one a pescatarian but I imagine the reasoning may be as follows:

From an animal welfare perspective, they might feel fish don't experience fear and pain in the same way as mammalian creatures. I'm not sure the evdence bears this out though. However, you could make a good case for the eating of bivalves. I imagine some pescatarians just find lambs cuter than monkfish.

Then there's the environmental factors. No doubt a pescatarian diet has a lower impact than an omnivorous one. Vegetarian/vegan would be better still but it's a step in the right direction, I guess.

Finally, there's the perceived health benefits. Oh, and fish and seafood is tasty. Gochujang mussels on the menu at Casa Bakero this evening. Might throw a few clams and prawns in too.
Thanks for a thoughtful answer. It’s the thing about fish not experiencing fear or pain that I have always half assumed to be the case.

But the environmental and health benefits aspects just go to show it’s all pretty complicated. One of my main tenets in life is “it’s not as simple as that”. Things aren’t usually black or white.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports