Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any proper English traditions, for St Georges Day?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
An annual opportunity for the Anglophobes to denigrate and abuse an ancient country, it's traditions and its people that they hate..............

SteveTheSeagull

I AM A CRIPPLED ALICE FAN
Feb 14, 2015
Saint George (Greek: Γεώργιος Georgios; Classical Syriac: ܓܝܘܪܓܝܣ Giwargis; Latin: Georgius; c. 275/281 – 23 April 303 CE), born in Lydda, Syria Palaestina, was a soldier in the Roman army and was later venerated as a Christian martyr. His father was Gerontius, a Greek Christian from Cappadocia, and an official in the Roman army; his mother Polychronia was a Christian from Lydda.[3] Saint George became an officer in the Roman army in the Guard of the Emperor Diocletian, who ordered his death for failing to repudiate his Christian faith.

In hagiography, Saint George is one of the most venerated saints in the Catholic Church (Latin and Eastern), Anglican, Orthodox, East Syrian, and Miaphysite Churches. He is immortalized in the myth of Saint George and the Dragon and is one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers. His memorial, Saint George's Day, is traditionally celebrated on the Julian date of 23 April (currently the 6th of May according to the Gregorian Calendar), and he is regarded as one of the most prominent military saints. Many patronages of Saint George exist around the world, including countries and cities as well as the Scout Movement,[4] in addition to a wide range of professions, organizations, and disease sufferers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George

Wasn't the first patron saint for this country but bumped old St Edmund off the patron saint status.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I see Lord Haw-Haw stayed up all night just to jump on this thread as soon as it appeared

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
To have another bank holiday, would probably mean removing one that exists already. Theres plenty to choose from. Adding another wouldnt particularly help economically.
There used to be church parades with scouts, but obviously, rightwingers have hijacked the day. So current tradition is getting drunk, and being obnoxious in a specified town/city

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He was a Palestinian Roman Soldier, martyred as a Christian, revered by both Christians and Muslims.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Celebrating Shakespeare's birth.

Now there's a proper Englishman.

Oh, and remember his death.

RIP Shakey.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To have another bank holiday, would probably mean removing one that exists already. Theres plenty to choose from. Adding another wouldnt particularly help economically.
There used to be church parades with scouts, but obviously, rightwingers have hijacked the day. So current tradition is getting drunk, and being obnoxious in a specified town/city

There still are - B&H Scouting are doing one in Hove on Sunday.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I always like to start St George's day with the Starbucks "Great British Breakfast Bap". I think you'll agree it is a sure way to get the celebrations off with a pffft.

This is all I could stomach

image.jpg

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
For me ,I will be thinking of my late father. Taken this day in 1966 aged 43.Far ,far too young but if you've got to go then St. Georges day isn't a bad day to go. Will phone my mum as well just to let her know I'm thinking of her.

I always like to start St George's day with the Starbucks "Great British Breakfast Bap". I think you'll agree it is a sure way to get the celebrations off with a pffft.

View attachment 64831

As I'm on a diet at the moment, that looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

I miss bacon. :(

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

View attachment 64831

Im going to demand this in the Starbucks on the Business park my office is located in!!! I know they wont have it, but im going to ask anyway! Could destroy that right now.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
"You're looking rather spruce this morning Major"

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Celebrating Shakespeare's birth.

Now there's a proper Englishman.

Oh, and remember his death.

RIP Shakey.

I agree with this. Most English people don't really have anything in common with St. George but I am sure a Saint Shekespeare Day would be fun. There could be performances of Hamlet. MacBeth and that other great English themed work, The Merchant of Venice....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The traditional St. Georges Day Binfest on here and the annual BBC 5Live phone in on why/what/apathy/nationalist/Scotland tosh.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Im going to demand this in the Starbucks on the Business park my office is located in!!! I know they wont have it, but im going to ask anyway! Could destroy that right now.

It was rank, cold scraps of shoddy bacon on mushy bread. Bleurgh. First time I've eaten in there for about 4 years. I was on a set once and craft services were provided by Starbucks. I must have tried every single combination of food and beverage in there 4 times over in a 3 month period ,mainly consisting of squashed sandwich type things. Put me off for years.

On topic, no, nothing special for the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here