Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the problems with 1901 that there's too many fans there?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
The 1901 club is like a upmarket Surporters club and think we have a need for different levels of corporate entertainment if they want to take more money in the future it needs to be revamped . Not all fans want a expensive posh meal but some do you need to split them, because those that will spend loads money on food will want a bit of exclusive service. It's all about getting the balance right. I am in the ham egg and chips and 6pints brigade.:facepalm:

Right on, also the club cannot expect the 1901ers to have a £72 meal every match, it becomes boring, is nothing special and too heavy on the stomach and on the clock.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How interesting, refered to as a plastic

I think you need new glasses. I never said 1901ers were plastic. I said they were overwhelmingly proper fans like yourself and this thread isn't criticising them, it's the service that you are apparently getting. I was just wondering if it was because it was full of fans rather than the corporates the club had expected.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As a 1901 club member, although only a poor gold member, I can assure you that most people in our lounge are just normal fans, no Corporates that I am aware of. Paul Rogers is aware of the fact that the 1901 concept of Corporates is not right and they are trying to change the structure of the lounges to reflect this, with more seats and not just tables for sit down meals. The food options are now changing to more traditional football menu, like burgers, hot dogs etc (always had pies), but still with a buffet option, which at £12, is not bad value compared to pub meals prices. I would say that they are listening to the fans, well Paul is at least. Now can we get rid of the idiot behind me who can not get a sentence out without using the F or C word and I would be as happy as Larry. To sum up, I think the 1901 option is at the moment good value for money, as we get a great seat, good lounge options, free programme and half time drinks, car park space, cup games and all friendlies all for about £40-£45. It will be very interesting after the 5 years is up to see what they will charge per month, hope not a massive increase, but I am sure it will go up quite a bit.

Good post, more or less exactly how I see it. I don't mind it going up, as long as it is reasonable and standards have improved by that time.

I purchased a 50 year license on three seats for myself, my son and my Father. I would be disappointed if we were forced to be moved.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
my own view is the club have got very unrealistic expectations as to the real number of untapped corporate types there are in the City - if we go up, then of course there will be a small increase in the number of those who will view a game at the Amex as part of the business networking scene - same as with the cricket, races etc. Catering for these types will take a relatively small space. But from what I see as a local businessman this is a city of small successful local businesses, mixed in with a few national/international firms (most who already have a presence anyway) and those local business people go already as 'fans' who happen to also be in business. None of these types I've met in 1901 want a stuffy soulless experience, they like the fact that can watch their local team in good surroundings, take friends, family and guests and will inevitably see the people they do business with already up there. The club need to realise 'this' is the reality of the City and business world down here and cater better for those they have got going now even when the football is not of the top draw quite a lot of the time, rather than try and make the experience something it is not, nor will it ever be, i.e. Chelski!.....

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
my own view is the club have got very unrealistic expectations as to the real number of untapped corporate types there are in the City - if we go up, then of course there will be a small increase in the number of those who will view a game at the Amex as part of the business networking scene - same as with the cricket, races etc. Catering for these types will take a relatively small space. But from what I see as a local businessman this is a city of small successful local businesses, mixed in with a few national/international firms (most who already have a presence anyway) and those local business people go already as 'fans' who happen to also be in business. None of these types I've met in 1901 want a stuffy soulless experience, they like the fact that can watch their local team in good surroundings, take friends, family and guests and will inevitably see the people they do business with already up there. The club need to realise 'this' is the reality of the City and business world down here and cater better for those they have got going now even when the football is not of the top draw quite a lot of the time, rather than try and make the experience something it is not, nor will it ever be, i.e. Chelski!.....

An interesting observation. It's got to be true that the large employers in Sussex already have a presence (eg Amex). However, don't you think that if we get promoted the following is likely to happen:

1) existing corporate customers may want more seats
2) New corporates from much of SE England will suddenly find that BHAFC is their nearest PL club with proper facilities for them (i.e. CPFC doesn't count!) ??

Quite how many extra seats will be in demand from these two groups is a big unknown. It may, as you suggest, be a non-issue. Alternatively, it might mean that the club could (subject to whatever arrangements they would then make for existing 1901ers) sell a few hundred extra seats at a massive premium to what they are currently receiving.

Again, I agree completely that all the time we're in the Championship, it's a non-issue and they should focus on providing the service that existing customers want; which is what they've said they're in the process of doing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fair comment. For whatever reason there is not a very big "high end" market in Brighton for restaurants, bars or shops. I do not see the football being much different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here