Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the problems with 1901 that there's too many fans there?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think there is a "ticket exchange" as such. At least I haven't found one! What there is is the ability for a 1901 member to transfer their seat to another named person on a game by game basis by email. The club have a facility online for you to enter an email address. Once done, that email address receives a print at home ticket and the member's card is deactivated for that game.

It was a part of the offer when we signed up, if I can't go to a game, I can give my ticket for that game to someone else, using the ticket exchange feature on the tickets site, or members site. i.e., if I can't go to the next game, you give me your email address, I log on, go the the manage games page, put in your name, and email address, you get an email that you print out and bring to the game. My smartcard is deactivated for the game, and you have access to my seat, and the Overcharge Lounge.

Thanks for the info. I do fancy doing it one day, just need to get to know a 1901 member first!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When we were first presented the 1901 Club idea, it was most definately a "Premium Club" for fans, like Buzzer says, for fans with a little bit more to spend, it really wasn't sold to us as primeraly a Corporate thing. ...
I really don't think Martin Perry would have been thinking it was going to be wall to wall suits and corporate, as he was part of many of the presentations, and he could see who was sat there in the "audience", and who was signing up.

i dont understand why people are thinking otherwise. the club knew what they were doing, knew the clientel and know it hasnt changed in two years, so why does anyone think there's an expectation of corporates? now iirc there was supposed to be more actual corporate boxes that were reduced presumably due to the lack of demand. thats probably the root of any perceived problem, not 1901.

if the club need to get more revenue, they need to pitch at the punters they know are there, its been done to death elsewhere what will work.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
if the club need to get more revenue, they need to pitch at the punters they know are there, its been done to death elsewhere what will work.

I totally agree.

Until we're promoted - then there'll be demand from corporates, I would imagine.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
And I'm sure the member who has moved seat from, say, the edge of the centre circle to, say, the corner will be delighted to have saved the admin fee incurred when s/he didn't want to move in the first place! :wink:

I'm sure their personalised e-mail from Paul Barber will make up for all the upset :lol:

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
As a 1901 club member, although only a poor gold member, I can assure you that most people in our lounge are just normal fans, no Corporates that I am aware of. Paul Rogers is aware of the fact that the 1901 concept of Corporates is not right and they are trying to change the structure of the lounges to reflect this, with more seats and not just tables for sit down meals. The food options are now changing to more traditional football menu, like burgers, hot dogs etc (always had pies), but still with a buffet option, which at £12, is not bad value compared to pub meals prices. I would say that they are listening to the fans, well Paul is at least. Now can we get rid of the idiot behind me who can not get a sentence out without using the F or C word and I would be as happy as Larry. To sum up, I think the 1901 option is at the moment good value for money, as we get a great seat, good lounge options, free programme and half time drinks, car park space, cup games and all friendlies all for about £40-£45. It will be very interesting after the 5 years is up to see what they will charge per month, hope not a massive increase, but I am sure it will go up quite a bit.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm sure their personalised e-mail from Paul Barber will make up for all the upset :lol:

Knowing a lot of the people who are in those seats, I can see all amount of shit being showered on the club if that happened. There are a lot of long standing supporters in those seats, and a lot who have helped prop the club up over the bad times. There are also a few that the club would be wise not to try and upset, the club aren't the only ones who can shake the legal tree. Frankly, if they decide to stir the shit in 3 years time, the had better be prepared to lick the spoon.

There are overflow seats around the WSM, the directors box is rarely full, there are ways of accomodating "corporates" with regards seating, without displacing those who have paid for their seats. There are also plenty of Lounges where they can be fed and watered, without the need to chuck the members out. The Overcharge and BUPA Lounges have space so long as none of the members are eating, plus there is still space in the void above the North stand offices.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
As a 1901 club member, although only a poor gold member, I can assure you that most people in our lounge are just normal fans, no Corporates that I am aware of. Paul Rogers is aware of the fact that the 1901 concept of Corporates is not right and they are trying to change the structure of the lounges to reflect this, with more seats and not just tables for sit down meals. The food options are now changing to more traditional football menu, like burgers, hot dogs etc (always had pies), but still with a buffet option, which at £12, is not bad value compared to pub meals prices. I would say that they are listening to the fans, well Paul is at least. Now can we get rid of the idiot behind me who can not get a sentence out without using the F or C word and I would be as happy as Larry. To sum up, I think the 1901 option is at the moment good value for money, as we get a great seat, good lounge options, free programme and half time drinks, car park space, cup games and all friendlies all for about £40-£45. It will be very interesting after the 5 years is up to see what they will charge per month, hope not a massive increase, but I am sure it will go up quite a bit.

Fish and Chips?

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
On Saturday when we equalised I could see from my front row WSU seat almost the entire 1901 celebrate as passionately as the rest of us. Loads of singing, flicking Vs at Millwall fans. It proves that it's overwhelmingly proper fans with a bit of dosh and not the corporate atmosphere the club thought they would get.

Do the 1901ers think that might be a factor in what seems to be behind the way that the all-singing, all-dancing 1901 experience you were all promised is being dumbed down? I wonder if Barber knows he has a captive market and also making presumptions about what football fans want and will put up with.

I'm probably wide of the mark here but there's no denying the demographic of 1901 isn't what the club had in mind. Its not a criticism of 1901ers. I think it's brilliant that corporates can't get a look in.

There are many true fans in the 1901 , i'm situated in line to just outside the 18 yard box to the South , love it in there and as someone else has pointed out not a bad price for what you get , hope I don't get kicked out after 5 years :( , ok you do get a few new faces sometimes but mainly it's the same people . I loved it Saturday when we scored which shut up those Millwall guys who kept pointing to the scoreboard , don't think they watched much of the game :wanker:

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Fish and Chips?

If only....I don't mind swearing and accept that is part of football, but this guy cant do one sentence without swearing and his classic last year was after Bridcutt for once gave the ball away ' Bridcutt, you 'Chip' what the 'fish' have you done this year' was one of his more educated efforts. All I will say it is good that Barnes is a long way from the 1901 club as well as frankly this guy is not his greatest fan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If the club want a true/pure corporate area why did they sell the south stand seats on the same basis as the rest of the 1901 seats? They had a blank canvass with that tier/lounge but they have now got themselves into the same situation as the rest of the 1901 areas.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The 1901 club is like a upmarket Surporters club and think we have a need for different levels of corporate entertainment if they want to take more money in the future it needs to be revamped . Not all fans want a expensive posh meal but some do you need to split them, because those that will spend loads money on food will want a bit of exclusive service. It's all about getting the balance right. I am in the ham egg and chips and 6pints brigade.:facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some have "life" (50 year) licences; others have 5-year licences. I don't know the mix. There are lots of ways that the club could honour the licence but really upset the holders. e.g. "OK, you're currently paying £91.20/month for your gold licence. The new price is £600/month". Nothing in the licence that stops them doing that and they would then indeed have a very messy situation.

I agree it could get messy. If the club were seen to force people out could they be on shaky legal ground e.g. if they jacked the price up so it is at an above market price which is prohibitively expensive for anyone to renew, thus clearing an area for them to turn corporate, but come the season start and the seats were back at a 'market rate' could they be in a spot of bother?

I don't want any 1901'ers next to me in the WSU , all that tapping you on the shoulder and asking which team is Brighton :(

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
I don't think there is a "ticket exchange" as such. At least I haven't found one! What there is is the ability for a 1901 member to transfer their seat to another named person on a game by game basis by email. The club have a facility online for you to enter an email address. Once done, that email address receives a print at home ticket and the member's card is deactivated for that game.

I have suggested a ticket exchange idea to the club for 1901 members as there are often empty seats. I have had emails from two different people (Paul Barber being one of them) and they are receptive to the idea.

My suggestion was simple. If you know you can't attend then offer your seats back to the club who can resell them for you. This will allow access to 1901 facilities on a match by match basis for non members, mean less empty seats, more money for the club spent on food and drinks and revenue generated for the resale the seat split between club and member (exact details of this split not discussed).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I agree it could get messy. If the club were seen to force people out could they be on shaky legal ground e.g. if they jacked the price up so it is at an above market price which is prohibitively expensive for anyone to renew, thus clearing an area for them to turn corporate, but come the season start and the seats were back at a 'market rate' could they be in a spot of bother?

Nothing in the T&Cs to stop them doing that, though an existing member may have some of claim under Common Law to a right of first refusal if they first increased the price to force them out and then reduced it again to the then market rate.

I'd have thought that a more likely scenario, if we're in the PL, would be that they would do some market research to determine the likely true corporate take up at various pricing levels, decide how many corporates they wanted and then set the price to secure approx. that number of corporates. If existing individual fans were happy to pay that new price I doubt the club would mind, though they may want an individual to move to ensure that blocks of, say, 6 or 10 seats were free for a corporate to take. The problem will come if the new price is set at a level that corporates will accept, but that means that most existing fans will be priced out. Where then do those people go, especially if ST sales are as strong or stronger than they currently are?

If we're still in the championship, I doubt it's an issue - corporate take up will be minimal. When I've taken corporate deals to football, it's never been to watch Yeovil - not many of my customers would be that interested. Manure, however....

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nothing in the T&Cs to stop them doing that,

I know this but contract law is not always black and white. In employment there is constructive dismissal for example. Contracts can also be deemed unenforcable. There are others. Sometimes the spirit of a contract prevails over the letter of the contract. Any legal bods with some input?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd have thought that a more likely scenario, if we're in the PL, would be that they would do some market research to determine the likely true corporate take up at various pricing levels, decide how many corporates they wanted and then set the price to secure approx. that number of corporates. If existing individual fans were happy to pay that new price I doubt the club would mind, though they may want an individual to move to ensure that blocks of, say, 6 or 10 seats were free for a corporate to take. The problem will come if the new price is set at a level that corporates will accept, but that means that most existing fans will be priced out. Where then do those people go, especially if ST sales are as strong or stronger than they currently are?

You're probably right.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I know this but contract law is not always black and white. In employment there is constructive dismissal for example. Contracts can also be deemed unenforcable. There are others. Sometimes the spirit of a contract prevails over the letter of the contract. Any legal bods with some input?

Yep, most likely a Common Law action, I'd have thought.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
On Saturday when we equalised I could see from my front row WSU seat almost the entire 1901 celebrate as passionately as the rest of us. Loads of singing, flicking Vs at Millwall fans. It proves that it's overwhelmingly proper fans with a bit of dosh and not the corporate atmosphere the club thought they would get.

Do the 1901ers think that might be a factor in what seems to be behind the way that the all-singing, all-dancing 1901 experience you were all promised is being dumbed down? I wonder if Barber knows he has a captive market and also making presumptions about what football fans want and will put up with.

I'm probably wide of the mark here but there's no denying the demographic of 1901 isn't what the club had in mind. Its not a criticism of 1901ers. I think it's brilliant that corporates can't get a look in.

How interesting, refered to as a plastic, I remember getting involved with Palace fans at Stamford Bridge when Challis was the referee, at Cardiff and Fulham all in the late 70s and now some many years later I am a 1901 holder, not proud of what I was in the day, but much more bold than those of today. Lets hear more than three songs from the North Stand! But I am an Albion supporter through and through and having achieved some measured success in business I treat myself, my family, customers and friends to the 1901 experience. Those around me are generally similar, no big corporates and mostly small business people who were promised anything from a pie and a pint to a three course meal. The trouble is there is nothing in between and the service at the lower end is apalling to ameteur. The real problem wth the 1901 is that it is badly organised and run. In the 1901 East Platinum, sounds grand, there are three barman trying to serve 150 people in a ten minute window at half time, its going to fail. For two seasons there have not been orders taken for drinks as in a theatre, we have run out of pies, theres no milk for the coffee and now the charge for dinner is £72 + VAT. The club have really misread what is required and many of those around me drop down to the lower seat area to get their pies. I shout and have an opinion, I want a modicom of value for what I pay and i am seeing the standards in our club falling month by month!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here