Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Sheffield weds a bigger club than Leeds Utd?

Dessie

Jun 17, 2010
Sheffield
As a Wednesday fan I've no qualms about saying Leeds are a bigger club than us. The "glory" years under Revie saw them develop a fanbase unrivalled outside the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc. But that all counts for very little because we're a good way ahead of them currently as they've had a succession of clowns in charge. Bates & Cellino? Wouldn't wish them on the Blades. As for the impression the Blades are more passionate or loyal than us? Total balls.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Why don't you state on what criteria you are basing this on. Recent history would have Leeds way above Sheff Wed, especially when you take into account that they have been in semi finals of the European Cup and Champions League. You might also need ot consider what their global presence is. The likes of Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, etc have a global following. Apart from a few expats, I can't see the same being said for Wed whereas Leeds may have a little more.

At the end of the day, who gives a stuff, neither are Brighton and Hove Albion.
A big club is based upon crowds and fan base and not cup competitions or what league you're in.
If Wigan won the champions league they wouldn't be a big club:glare:
Leeds have a nationwide large fan base and although most don't watch them play they're still a very big club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Somebody must be psychic as yesterday on the bus to the game was talking to an exiled Huddersfield supporter from Tunbridge Wells about Leeds still thinking they are still the biggest team in Europe and I said they are not even the biggest in Yorkshire currently.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
As a Wednesday fan I've no qualms about saying Leeds are a bigger club than us. The "glory" years under Revie saw them develop a fanbase unrivalled outside the likes of Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal etc. But that all counts for very little because we're a good way ahead of them currently as they've had a succession of clowns in charge. Bates & Cellino? Wouldn't wish them on the Blades. As for the impression the Blades are more passionate or loyal than us? Total balls.

So Brighton are as big as Wednesday then?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I perceive Leeds to be the bigger club. Yorkshire has a great sporting heritage.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In my lifetime, Leeds have won three league titles, the FA Cup, 2 Fairs/Uefa Cups and played in the European Cup final. Sheffield Wednesday have won the League Cup. Not really a contest.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
it's an interesting one

Leeds are in relation to the Sheffield teams quite young,but have been very sucessful

Sheffield being bigger than Leeds too,I'm sure if Sheffield had one team,the city would have alot more success to brag about

and also Leeds have a very sucessful rugby league team in comparison to Sheffield

I don't know how much needle there is between the two cities,Leeds traditionally look west towards Manchester

I guess you'd have to be a local to know the true in's & out's of it all

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I did consider Derby but I decided to include only places that have at the very least a very basic evolved human population.

And you included Wolverhampton?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Leeds have been a bit of a joke in recent seasons. However today Sheffield Weds unveiled their new club crest...

1526926257.jpg

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/moving-forward-owls-unveil-new-club-crest-2918761.aspx

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Wednesday had one of the best badges not anymore. That is shit. You can't improve on something that was already perfect. HAHA CLOWNS

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Bit silly this. Brighton are a bigger club than Bournemouth but they are in the Premier League.
Sheffield is more of a football city than Leeds. Leeds, and Hull more so, is a bit of a rugby league stronghold. Hull City are a better team than Wednesday, Leeds or the Blades.
Leeds, Wednesday, Derby, Forest and Wolves are the biggest clubs in the division. But does it matter? As the cliche goes, you're only as good as your last result.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Asking which club is bigger is like saying which is Britain's fittest bird - Barbra Windsor or Helen Mirren?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here