Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are National ID cards back on the agenda?

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
NHS, HMRC and DWP data handed to private contractors such as Capita and on many occassions lost. DVLA and electrol roll data sold for profit to companies who use it for very grey lawful means. So no, I don't trust the authorities with my data and it would be idiotic to make it even easier with a national ID database.

Agree. We should be properly wary of anything that seeks to extend the reach of an authorisation state. The Blair/Brown administrations wrote encyclopedias of new laws and ushered in a culture whereby that authoritarianism is much more readily wielded. Enough.

It's bad enough the DVLA flogging personal details to footpad parking companies and DWP data going to CrAPITA. I don't want any more of my data going to "our preferred outsourcing partners". If the Government weren't so bad at getting their existing I.T systems to communicate there would be no need for this.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Agree. We should be properly wary of anything that seeks to extend the reach of an authorisation state. The Blair/Brown administrations wrote encyclopedias of new laws and ushered in a culture whereby that authoritarianism is much more readily wielded. Enough.

It's bad enough the DVLA flogging personal details to footpad parking companies and DWP data going to CrAPITA. I don't want any more of my data going to "our preferred outsourcing partners". If the Government weren't so bad at getting their existing I.T systems to communicate there would be no need for this.

Yes flogging details to 3rd parties is a definate no no .However, I can't really see why anyone would be against an ID card these days. The Passport office has your basic details, the DVLA have your driving and also basic personal details, so do numerous other government bodies from the NHS to HMRC. Also all the other things people link their details into online are much much more privacy invading, than an ID card with your basic details on. The authorities already have 99.9% of genuine ctizens details and could probably produce an ID card for you without you filling in anything.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Yes flogging details to 3rd parties is a definate no no .However, I can't really see why anyone would be against an ID card these days. The Passport office has your basic details, the DVLA have your driving and also basic personal details, so do numerous other government bodies from the NHS to HMRC. Also all the other things people link their details into online are much much more privacy invading, than an ID card with your basic details on. The authorities already have 99.9% of genuine ctizens details and could probably produce an ID card for you without you filling in anything.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? Yet if I recall correctly, part of the ID card scheme that Labour intended to roll out called for compilation of a new UK wide database specifically for the purpose of issuing ID cards. This from an organisation - if you can call government that - notoriously bad at rolling out major IT projects fit for purpose, on time and within budget. The coalition properly kicked the idea into the long grass.

If I need to prove my identity for some specific purpose, I can do so. I don't want to have to carry around a card which, I fear would gradually be demanded by all sorts of busybodies.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
In New York they have a NYC ID card. I got one as I have no problem with this. It's not compulsory as they generally always use your driving licence as proof of ID, but they also made this available to homeless people and people regardless of their immigration status so it gives them something to show police / government officials and should stop a lot of harassment. They've also linked it to a lot of discounts on sports facilities, museums etc. for the holder.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having read/heard more about the ideas since, I realise that now. I can't see how anybody can object to making sure people are only getting routine treatment free if they are entitled to it.

I hate to say this but I'm slowly coming around to the idea the NHS, in its current set up, isn't a viable option in this increasingly global day and age.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Can I enquire as to why you do not have a passport?
Yeah, no problem. My passport lapsed over twenty years ago after I visited Morocco for a couple of months in the 90's. I had some wonderful but also very traumatic experiences, one of which made me very ill. I simply haven't renewed, partly as, to be honest, I've lacked the courage. I've really missed visiting Germany where I have a load of family and I'd also very much like to revisit France and Spain as well. I love Europe.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
So many countries have them no problem and would also have peoples DNA to solve crime

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So many countries have them no problem and would also have peoples DNA to solve crime

The Punctuation Police will not need your DNA to solve this crime though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

and thats why its a bad idea in this country. it wont stop at an ID card, it grows into a great monstrosity, let make it biometric, lets store DNA, with all the problems and opposition that brings. if you want an ID card make it a simple identity check, nothing else and no horrendous database behind it.

Jan 30, 2008
What about colour coded triangles and stars? Seems to be the popular way forward in the current climate.
what a din!! , who wants foreigners taking the piss out of the NHS especially when i pay my N.I.C... NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PROPOSAL, GET A GRIP!!
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah, no problem. My passport lapsed over twenty years ago after I visited Morocco for a couple of months in the 90's. I had some wonderful but also very traumatic experiences, one of which made me very ill. I simply haven't renewed, partly as, to be honest, I've lacked the courage. I've really missed visiting Germany where I have a load of family and I'd also very much like to revisit France and Spain as well. I love Europe.

Sorry to hear this and also quite brave of you to be so open. I hope you are one day able to get your passport; there will be a pint waiting for your over here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here