Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are modern children over indulged?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Isn't this just an age old problem?

Every generation thinks their children are spoilt because they have things that they didn't. That's happened for a very long time. I'm sure my parents thought I was spoilt because I had a zx spectrum. The kids now have more advanced stuff and all use it. Don't think that makes them more spoilt.

As someone has said though the worry of them growing up earlier, especially girls (boys never really grow up) is a much bigger concern.

I actually feel sorry for them. Social media means they can't ever get away from peer pressure and just be themselves. I've seen my two go through all this and come out the other side but I can see how some children really end up on the wrong side of this.

So glad I lived my teenage years without social media. Must be horrible.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
If the older generations had access to Playstations, Xbox's, high speed internet, gaming computers and smart phones I can assure you most of you would be doing the same thing most kids/teenagers do now days.

abso-bloody-exactly. Kids are only being themselves in the world put in front of them. By adults.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Their sense of entitlement is staggering,... sadly fed by the system that tells them they are entitled,... so yes, they are over-indulged.

If you haven't been an adult in a different era... be it the 60's, 70's or 80's. .. then you are unlikely to be able to see the differences... it is markedly different, believe me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Their sense of entitlement is staggering,... sadly fed by the system that tells them they are entitled,... so yes, they are over-indulged.

If you haven't been an adult in a different era... be it the 60's, 70's or 80's. .. then you are unlikely to be able to see the differences... it is markedly different, believe me.
This system you talk about is just marketing and that is coupled with the fact that parents now have a much higher disposable income than parents in the 60s' and 70s and of course there is just so much stuff out there to buy. Put those facts together and yes, they have so much more but so do us big people.
I've got 3 smart TVs , a great mountain bike, an iPad and a season ticket for The Albion. I'm a spoilt dad.

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
Are-modern-children-over-indulged

Mine isn't!

12783705_10153549449675885_3711102500957795795_o.jpg

Faster boy! :rant:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I don't know about anyone else but pubs seem to be over run with kids these days and I mean babies and toddlers , drives me mad as the bars become gridlocked with prams everywhere, when my kids were that age I didn't feel the need to take em to the boozer with the Mrs.

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Well I was up at six this morning to take my son on his paper round in my car , make of that what you will :lolol:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm sure it varies as much now as it ever did, albeit with a much more child friendly 'average'. When I moved to Canada in 82 I was astonished, out and about by the beaches, how nice the parents were to their kids, asking them things, suggesting things etc (while in the UK most of what I saw was 'right, here we are on the beach, now bugger off and build a sandcastle while I read my book').

Even so, I doubt that the poor little sod I saw struggling to walk across Faversham creek bridge the other day, while his chavvy mum, pushing his pram full of shopping, shouted at him, making him cry, would agree :nono:
Why did you come back Harry ?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
This system you talk about is just marketing and that is coupled with the fact that parents now have a much higher disposable income than parents in the 60s' and 70s and of course there is just so much stuff out there to buy. Put those facts together and yes, they have so much more but so do us big people.
I've got 3 smart TVs , a great mountain bike, an iPad and a season ticket for The Albion. I'm a spoilt dad.
Waffle all you like... you haven't answered the original question.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think the parents are the most spoilt. All they seem to do these days is spend loads of money on their next holiday or car, brag about it on social media, spend as little time with the kids by letting the computer games do all the work and eat loads of takeaways.

Spoil shits if you ask me.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think the parents are the most spoilt. All they seem to do these days is spend loads of money on their next holiday or car, brag about it on social media, spend as little time with the kids by letting the computer games do all the work and eat loads of takeaways.

Well said.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Yep

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Absolutely spot on. A bloke I work with had a 3 week holiday in Greece with his wife whilst their 3 children stayed with the mother in law. Selfish self centred b******s. If you can't afford for the kids to go then you don't. Surely?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Absolutely spot on. A bloke I work with had a 3 week holiday in Greece with his wife whilst their 3 children stayed with the mother in law. Selfish self centred b******s. If you can't afford for the kids to go then you don't. Surely?
Pair of c*#*s. Humans are inherently selfish and it's an affliction one has to overcome. But if you can't put your kids first then you're just scum, subhuman scum.

#alan

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Ok...."Has the world become too child centric?"

No.

Yes, children are far too indulged these days even by the standards of twenty years ago.

Personally, I think you should be tough with your children, partly to prepare them for the real world (which is very tough, in my view) and, partly, to give them something to look forward to when they're an adult!

Protect them, inform them, educate them and guide them but don't indulge them. They just end up ineffectual and unprepared for life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here