Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are labour voters the worst losers in the history of the world?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You do realise that politics is real life don't you, not football? I am very very sad and very bitter about the result. It's not like chin up, there's another game next week - This is about how the country is being run and how we care for (or don't as the case is) our most vulnerable. It is not about being gracious, it's about what caring about what you believe in. Seeing how many tories are celebrating by poking fun at Milliband et al, tells you all you need to know about how them and their beliefs....

Don't be so precious Mikey; even Labourites are having a pop at Miliband.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are labour voters the worst losers in the history of the world?
I don't think so, the SNP voters were worse when they failed to get independence. Apparently it was the BBC's fault for being so biased.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not bad losers, just a bit more savvy than Tory voters and can see what way the country is headed.
Now of you'll excuse me I've just got to go and ask the Turkeys what we should have for Christmas dinner.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Yes, maths failure on my part - the point still stands though, if 65% of people had voted for a single party the Tories wouldn't be in Government.

The fact of the matter is that they didn't.

I also happen to think that the current system of voting is flawed on account of how the constituencies do not have a consistent number of voters in them.

This is why PR has got to be, in my opinion, the single most important issue in our democracy. Without it, our democracy is sick.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
We ALL lost this election. Tory voters are just not aware of it yet. They will be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You do realise that politics is real life don't you, not football? I am very very sad and very bitter about the result. It's not like chin up, there's another game next week - This is about how the country is being run and how we care for (or don't as the case is) our most vulnerable.
Do you not even realise that that is just your opinion? You don't accept that we live in a democracy, and other people don't share your opinion?

Seeing how many tories are celebrating by poking fun at Milliband et al, tells you all you need to know about how them and their beliefs....
That would be like me saying that the lefties that vandalised tory cars tells you all you need to know about Labour supporters and their beliefs. I didn't say that because I'm not going to judge everyone on the actions of a few. And I voted tory, but I don't think I'm poking fun, and you clearly don't know much about my beliefs.

If you look at the share of the population, only a quarter of those eligible to vote, voted for the new government and so 75% of the UK, did not vote for the Tories or their policies.

I don't think you can point the finger carte blanche at Labour voters - I think a majority of the country is bitter!
You're suggesting that the people who couldn't be bothered to vote are bitter about the result. Well **** them, I couldn't give a shit what they think.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's been some bad losers on all sides, including me for a while on Saturday. People have strong feelings and they are entitled to be disappointed.

We have a Tory government. Equipped to rule without hindrance. Elected on 37% of the vote. But that's our democracy.

At risk of resurrecting my bitterness, it concerns me that the most vulnerable in our society will suffer, rights will be eroded, and the traditional right wing will drive social chasms between us.

If that sounds like bitterness and sour grapes then I offer no defence- because it is.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
35% + 75% = 110%...

A very labour type sum. I think all labour supporters should get new calculators to do their sums with because all the ones they were using must have been broken.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Gracious in victory, magnanimous in defeat.

Neither side has particularly stuck to that so do us all a favour, stop gloating and talk about something else for a change :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is why PR has got to be, in my opinion, the single most important issue in our democracy. Without it, our democracy is sick.

The PR issue has been around for many elections, with the Lib(Dem)s championing it time after time.

We even had a referendum about it 5? years ago, and the vote was to not change.

Incidentally, We cannot simply keep having rapidly repeating referendums on the same subject.

What next?

The annual voting reform referendum?
The annual Scottish independence referendum?
The annual pull out of Europe referendum?

Let's hold them all on each New Years Day, so we start each year with a fresh setup.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I am struggling to think of a more bitter set of people. They are making Fergie, Mourinho and Nigel Adkins look gracious.

I've kept out of the political debate on here until now but this is the most pathetic thread I've ever seen. Ignoring the gloating that has been done by Tories in recent days, the fact is that scaremongering by the Tories won the election. They offered nothing positive, just vote Labour and get SNP, and for some reason 35% of the population who voted agreed with that (which due to the electoral system which has been forced on this country is enough to gain control of parliament).

This is ignoring the fact that Tories have significantly more funds to work with and the right wing press on their side, which makes for a really even contest. None of this is being a bad loser. Just fact.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I am struggling to think of a more bitter set of people. They are making Fergie, Mourinho and Nigel Adkins look gracious.

When's the next vote for best Moderator due?

....remind me which position you achieved last time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"There is no final victory. There is no final defeat. There is just the same battle. To be fought over and over again. So toughen up. Bloody toughen up!"

Tony Benn

The bitter poor losers as just as bad as those that want to be idiot winners.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The PR issue has been around for many elections, with the Lib Dems championing it time after time.

We even had a referendum about it 5? years ago, and the vote was to not change.

We cannot simply keep having rapidly repeating referendums on the same subject.

What next?

The annual voting reform referendum?
The annual Scottish independence referendum?
The annual pull out of Europe referendum?

Let's hold them all on New Years Day, so we start each year with a fresh setup.

In fairness, the referendum was not a fair one. It should have been would you like a PR based system, first past the post system or a combination of the two (like in Germany) rather than having a vote for the actual new system with lots of forms of PR and only our current version for the alternative. There wasn't any education of what the systems meant, just scaremongering again from the Tory press who were opposed to change.

Sadly, due to this and the unpopularity of the Lib Dems who supported change, it was a pointless referendum which was only ever going to result in keeping our current system.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At risk of resurrecting my bitterness, it concerns me that the most vulnerable in our society will suffer, rights will be eroded, and the traditional right wing will drive social chasms between us.

If that sounds like bitterness and sour grapes then I offer no defence- because it is.
I don't think it's bitter if you're just saying that you think it was a bad choice and you think that the vulnerable will suffer. I think it's bitter to be happy with our democratic process right up to the point where you don't get the government you want, and then suddenly decide to start counting those that didn't vote as if they're unhappy with the result.

Given a choice of one government, most (ie, over 50%) people who voted probably wanted a tory government. ie, UKIP got 12.6% of the vote, and given a choice between Tory and Labour, most would have chosen Tory. Apply the same question to all, and the majority probably wanted a Tory government, so it's hardly an injustice that we've got one.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Only four pages, you're losing your touch lefties!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Ive enjoyed the glee shown by UKIP supporters. Considering, they now have half the seats they had.

If you want PR, bear in mind you will open the door to all sorts of groups. Many of them could make you angry. how about a Legalize Marijuana party, as that will certainly rear its head. How will the UKIP supporters who are clamouring for PR feel about an Islamic Party of Great Britain or similar entity turning up?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here