Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are games against Palace the ones you want to win the most?

Are games against Palace the ones you want to win the most?

• Under 20 and Yes

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Under 20 and No

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 20-40 and Yes

Votes: 21 12.4%
  • 20-40 and No

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • 40-60 and Yes

Votes: 79 46.5%
  • 40-60 and No

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • Very old and Yes

Votes: 28 16.5%
  • Very old and No

Votes: 15 8.8%

• Total voters

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I have absolutely no interest in that tinpot club or their pikey schoolboy fans, I don't give them a second thought all season......until we play them, and then it's the most important thing in my life.
Losing to them hurts more than any other defeat and beating them is so much sweeter than any other victory. I don't think that will ever change.
I'm in the 40-60 bracket.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
This is an interesting read.

The rivalry is IMO more Brighton against palace as there were many many years Charlton were seen as the local rivalry by folks in there 40s now, I am late 50s so look at Brighton as rivals but TBH I am all a little meh with hating a team and fans that I live locally with.

Older fans than me think Millwall as the rivalry so it’s a bit mixed our side of the rivalry.

I love to win the games but like some have said beating one of the top 5 is more satisfying these days….it might be an age thing?

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
Im in the too young bracket and I would say yeah it's the game I want to win the most in season unless it's an important game like promotion or FA cup quarter finals

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The number of draws recently and the general quality of the games has not been up to usual standards but rewind to the playoff semi final and the st Patrick’s day massacre and your have one of the most painful and elated moments at the Amex. Andones goal and beating them with ten men and maupays last minute equaliser and the reaction of the fans at selhurst tells you what this means.

However good the result against Manchester United was if we had put that performance and result in against palace it would be even sweeter

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

The rivalry is IMO more Brighton against palace as there were many many years Charlton were seen as the local rivalry by folks in there 40s now, I am late 50s so look at Brighton as rivals but TBH I am all a little meh with hating a team and fans that I live locally with.

Older fans than me think Millwall as the rivalry so it’s a bit mixed our side of the rivalry.

I love to win the games but like some have said beating one of the top 5 is more satisfying these days….it might be an age thing?

Being in the same division certainly intensifies the rivalry and similarly being in different divisions for years takes the edge off and leaves both sets of fans looking for rivalries with other clubs. We had a thing with Leyton Orient for a few years. I’d imagine our current spell in the same division is meaning the youngest generation of fans on both sides are seeing this as the main rivalry for each club.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Being in the same division certainly intensifies the rivalry and similarly being in different divisions for years takes the edge off and leaves both sets of fans looking for rivalries with other clubs. We had a thing with Leyton Orient for a few years. I’d imagine our current spell in the same division is meaning the youngest generation of fans on both sides are seeing this as the main rivalry for each club.

One would hope so but football feels so sanitised these days.

I would hate for football to go back to those days but the terraces were an exciting and scary place to be back in the day. The unified surge of people moving back and forth if there were scraps going on during the game is something that should hopefully never happen again but as a 15 year old was par for the course. And helped intensify the rivalry.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I think there are a few who still feel that Pompey are our rivals. Since I started going though we’ve seldom been in the same division as them which makes it hard to feel a genuine rivalry. Having said that there was a decade or more when we weren’t in the same division as Palace, I still took pleasure in your defeats and relegations and was annoyed by wins and promotions though :smile:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
One would hope so but football feels so sanitised these days.

I would hate for football to go back to those days but the terraces were an exciting and scary place to be back in the day. The unified surge of people moving back and forth if there were scraps going on during the game is something that should hopefully never happen again but as a 15 year old was par for the course. And helped intensify the rivalry.

The game at Selhurst this season didn’t feel too sanitised.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Yes. Always has been. Always will be.

If you don't get the rivalry then you weren't there!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
No.

Yes, there is spice to our rivalry and certainly do not wish to lose to 'them'.

But I'd rather savour victory by little old Brighton over the true elite. That still feels magical.

Back in the late 60's / early 70's, when I first followed BHA, Palace were not on my radar. Our games against Pompey felt more relevant.

Whereas Palace were just another south London side and very much in the shadow of their illustrious neighbours from north of the river. It was only during the Malcolm Allison and Terry Venables era that the games gained an edge. Both BHA & CPFC (Mk.1) teams were in the ascendant. That's when the results felt most important.

Many happy memories of watching Peter Ward dancing through their defence... and occasionally getting kicked up in the air by Jim Cannon,

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
40-60 and voted yes, because when I first started to watch and support the Albion the rivalry was still fierce & relevant, with both teams in and around each other. My uncle who took me to my first game, who witnessed the rivalry grow, was not keen on Palace, but the teams he loathed more were Luton and Portsmouth, because when he was a boover boy, those teams & supporters created some intense games or so he told me.

I can see how teams rivalries can ebb and flow, because during our dramatic decline, a certain team from East London, fancied themselves as our new rivals and for a few seasons it was a match I looked forward too and I hated them, they were our bogey team, until a Zamora masterclass at Brisbane Road, and that season we pushed on out of the bottom division leaving them to languish around before dropping out of the league. For a while there was a thing with Orient, we took large numbers, caused trouble etc.
We focused on the here and now, as we did with Reading for a while too, but nothing to me comes close to the atmosphere created at matches like the McShane game, and the St Valentines day massacre or the Knockaert wonder goal for us and I am sure it is the same for their fans like the 5-0 pasting they gave us.

Palace all day long for me.

PS: I don't hate their supporters as much as plastic Liverpool, United fans though, that is different.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes, definately. 47 here and still enjoy the rivalry.

Although i seem to keep meeting Palace fans over here so that keeps it interesting.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
As a Palace fan in his fifties, Brighton is still the fixture I look for first. Never managed Brighton away at the Goldstone or the Amex, as tickets are in such high demand, but love the atmosphere at Selhurst. Enjoyed some great victories, but also some shattering defeats, and it takes another victory to get over a defeat, however long that takes. It is good to stick one over the so called big clubs, but give me a 91st minute winner off someone's backside against Brighton any day. Just wish there were not so many numbskulls on both sides that want the rivalry to be more than banter and turn it into a fight.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Yes. Always has been. Always will be.

If you don't get the rivalry then you weren't there!

I was there in the days of Mullery, Venables and Ron bloody Challis and so 'get' the rivalry..

I want us to win all our matches most of all probably to the top teams like Liverpool and Manchester City. That lot from south London are nothing. Insignificant. Not worth getting worked up about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here