Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Forest abusing FFP rules?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This seems to be the clause that should stop teams gaming the system (but I suspect it won't):

Although as Daniel Geey, a solicitor and sports lawyer, points out: “It appears the FL has drafted general anti-evasion provisions to ensure clubs comply with the spirit of the regulations. Interestingly, there is a specific provision in the regulations which aims to ensure that clubs:

“at all times and in all matters within the scope of these Rules, behave with the utmost good faith both towards The League and the other Championship Clubs” and do not “take unfair advantage which is intended to seek to or does take any unfair advantage in relation to the assessment of fulfilment (or non-fulfilment) of the Fair Play Requirement.”

Read more: http://seatpitch.co.uk/2013/07/05/the-implications-of-ffp-for-championship-clubs/#ixzz2c8tOBOx7

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This seems to be the clause that should stop teams gaming the system (but I suspect it won't):

Although as Daniel Geey, a solicitor and sports lawyer, points out: “It appears the FL has drafted general anti-evasion provisions to ensure clubs comply with the spirit of the regulations. Interestingly, there is a specific provision in the regulations which aims to ensure that clubs:

“at all times and in all matters within the scope of these Rules, behave with the utmost good faith both towards The League and the other Championship Clubs” and do not “take unfair advantage which is intended to seek to or does take any unfair advantage in relation to the assessment of fulfilment (or non-fulfilment) of the Fair Play Requirement.”

Read more: http://seatpitch.co.uk/2013/07/05/the-implications-of-ffp-for-championship-clubs/#ixzz2c8tOBOx7

Good luck with that clause standing up in court!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I do not believe it will. As I have pointed out many times we follow the FL version and not the UEFA version. The member clubs voted this rule in, and voted it in exactly the same way as they have voted in every single other policy from minor things trivial items right up to points deductions for administration etc. Clubs vote and accept the democratic ruling. They're the rules of FL membership.

But its not the clubs who are contesting ffp, its the agents because it will limit their earnings. If the UEFA one is overturned in the courts because of the impact on agents earnings, then the FL version cannot remain for the very same reason. (Basically similar to the Bosman ruling, it applied to football as a whole in Europe and not just to the division(s) involved in the original court case)

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
As much as I want see Brighton playing in the premiership and in Europe I don't want to Morgage the club to the hilt so it goes bust lets work with the club to get it on sound financial footing because i believe many clubs may go bust in the future. I am a fan and a customer:facepalm::facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But surely if getting around FFP is as easy as your owner sponsoring the team with inflated amounts all Barbers cost cutting is unnecessary? If TB wants us to get promoted he pays us £10m to name the West Stand the Lizard Stand and job done.

I suggestd that a couple of months ago when FFP first came about and was told by all that it is not possible for that to be done within the confines of the rules of FFP

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
They wont stand up to the bigger clubs, we are so close to clubs breaking away from UEFA and FIFA they dont want to upset them - I can see the world cup 2022 being the final straw

There is more than just a whiff of double standards around FFP - Platini's crusade for FFP was well intended and presumably intended to rein in clubs like (but no means least) Man C, but its curious and ironic that French based Clubs like PSG and Monaco are now inconveniently prominent as potential transgressors. It will be interesting to see how (or if) UEFA follow this up? I suspect the lawyers will find unenforcible loopholes for Clubs to exploit.

When you throw in the question of how Qatar was 'awarded' that World Cup, their recent huge financial investments in PSG plus other 'investments' in France that Sarkozy and Platini (allegedly!) encouraged it may all of course just be a lucky 'coincidence' - but still suggests there are some questions to answer...........and that's before you get to FIFA and their role in the wider suspicions of sleaze.

There was an excellent article by Matthew Syed in The Times last week which highlighted the widespread questions that should be asked - but also pointed out that Platini has threatened litigation, so it seems we won't know until someone feels they have enough evidence to call Mr. P's bluff.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I suggestd that a couple of months ago when FFP first came about and was told by all that it is not possible for that to be done within the confines of the rules of FFP

We've all known from the start that this would be done (and many posted about it) the question has always been can the FA spot it and have they got the teeth to do something about it?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I feel its stuffed our promotion chances for a while as we're taking it v seriously and don't have parachute payments. Our squad budget is clearly nowhere nr what it was. Other clubs have a huge advantage unfortunately.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But its not the clubs who are contesting ffp, its the agents because it will limit their earnings. If the UEFA one is overturned in the courts because of the impact on agents earnings, then the FL version cannot remain for the very same reason. (Basically similar to the Bosman ruling, it applied to football as a whole in Europe and not just to the division(s) involved in the original court case)

The FL members voted to reduce debt carried from year to year, nothing more, nothing less. Is this any different to any other business boardroom or organisation deciding to reduce their debt.

The UEFA version is different in that it has been forced on clubs in UEFA competition from above, so there may be a case.

As an aside, there must be loads of decisions taken every minute of the day which negatively affect not just agents earnings? Can we all sue? See you in court George Osborne.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here