Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Brighton the biggest club yet to play in the Premiership?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
problem is we've never won a major trophy in our entire history,sobering thought that

to be fair to the OP,we are in pretty good shape these days,when talking about clubs never to have played in the PL,it's all relative

the infrastucture of our club as it stands is better than most other clubs outside the top flight

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
problem is we've never won a major trophy in our entire history,sobering thought that

to be fair to the OP,we are in pretty good shape these days,when talking about clubs never to have played in the PL,it's all relative

the infrastucture of our club as it stands is better than most other clubs outside the top flight

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
A big club doesn't sell their best players and buy turn replacements.

We are not a big club.

FW Sam Baldock - 24 appearances for West Ham when they won promotion to the Premier League during the 2011/12 season
GK David Stockdale - 24 appearances for Hull when they won promotion to the Premier League during the 2012/13 season
FW Chris O'Grady - 1 appearance for Leicester as they won promotion to the Premier League during the 2002/03 season but he was only 17

I can't be bothered to go through the rest of the current squad right now, but many of our current squad have played at this or higher levels and the players we released were often brought from teams lower down the football pyramid in the first place (Barnes, Noone, Peter Brezovan, Greer etc) So it's odd the new players are seen as awful signings showing a lack of ambition by the club, etc....

We have players in our squad that have already won promotion to the top flight, ok so this season has been very disappointing and we have probably massively underachieved after what could be argued that we had overachieved for 2 seasons, but the way this seasons signings are being made out to be cheap, league one players who arn't fit for the club and our fans to support is getting very boring now.

Can't we just get behind the team, just like we did with the old players
Optimistic, happy enviroment at the club due to moving to the Amex and being grateful and having no expectations but fans readily willing to get behind the team = team did very well
Miserable, unhappy depressive almost vile feeling at the club since before the season started (after the manager left and over new signings, etc) and spectators deeming the the new players as unworthy of getting behind and cheering them on = a poor season
- Co-incidence?

Last edited:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
And how are we under achieving? We have under achieved this year, but the previous two seasons we were in a play off berth.

The season before was consolidation after being League 1 champions.

Before that we spent 10 years at an athletics stadium with 6000 crowds.

Before that, football was not a family affair in the 90's or 80's due to first violence and then for us scandalous asset stripping. Crowds were not big.

Brighton had at that point never been a big club. Always a division 3 club.

Nowadays, I'd say we are right on track. Yes we should expect more, but that's due to what we have now and not some weight of history argument.

Apologies, but this thread had made me cross. Especially when it has been tweeted to the wider world by NorthStandChat.

Basically Brighton's rise parallels that of the Southern clubs generally against the old power-base in the North and Midlands. Football was traditionally a "working class" game but TV and the 1966 World Cup turned it into a mass-appeal sport.

Hence Albion, Palace, Southampton and other Southern clubs with large relatively affluent catchment areas did better for support/finance than clubs in Lancashire only a few miles apat, where heavy industry had disappeared.

Even non-league has benefited - Crawley, Langney Sports (now Eastbourne Borough) although some others have gone downhill from the amateur days (e.g. Eastbourne United).

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I can't be bothered to go through the rest of the current squad right now, but many of our current squad have played at this or higher levels and the players we released were often brought from teams lower down the football pyramid in the first place (Barnes, Noone, Peter Brezovan, Greer etc)

Has Greer been released then?That's news to me.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I can't be bothered to go through the rest of the current squad right now, but many of our current squad have played at this or higher levels and the players we released were often brought from teams lower down the football pyramid in the first place (Barnes, Noone, Peter Brezovan, Greer etc) So it's odd the new players are seen as awful signings showing a lack of ambition by the club, etc....

Ulloa, Bridcutt, Barnes, Bickley. These players were either not replaced or not replace adequately. No idea what your diatribe is supposed to mean? Players that aren't good enough go down a level and players that are get tested on a higher stage? Well no shit. Doesn't say anything about us selling our best assets and trying to replace them on the cheap,

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Don't let [MENTION=15922]Working class pride[/MENTION] hear you say that. We won 2 of the four biggest prizes in existence in 1910. The Southern League and the Charity Shield were major trophies, the latter making us "Champions of All England".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If you're going further back you could throw Notts County in there. Spent 30 years in the top division and they were relegated from the top flight the season before the Premier league was formed, unlucky for them. Obviously nowhere near that right now.
Most of those thirty years were before the war! However, after beating us at Wembley they had four seasons in the top flight, so they have played in the PL.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With respect, the advent of the PL was a name change, nothing else. You might as well ask which team hasn't been in the top level since, well, pick a date. I hate the hype that top level football only started in 1992. I also don't like the fact that we haven't been at the top level since 1983.

But that wasn't my question. If I wanted to ask that if have said Top Tier. I'm not saying I think football started In 1993. But I am asking who else hasn't been in the Premier who are arguably bigger than us? There are some precious sorts Replying to this thread and running off on tangents. I think Bristol City and us appear to be the winners, not that too many people have bothered to answer the question!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Bristol City and Plymouth are two similar sized clubs who haven't featured. All three of us would get 30-35k in the top division, given the right stadium.

Preston and Huddersfield are historically much bigger clubs than us but neither are any more.

Good calls, I missed this earlier.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think we are the biggest underachievers of the lot.

Hull City, Bristol City, Cardiff and Plymouth Argyle are quite good competitors though. All those places have a larger contingent of egg chasers though.

When I first started watching football and in 1966 there was not much to choose between the two Bristol clubs. Rovers have underachieved compared to City since then. So Bristol Rovers might have a strong case?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think we are the biggest underachievers of the lot.

Hull City, Bristol City, Cardiff and Plymouth Argyle are quite good competitors though. All those places have a larger contingent of egg chasers though.

When I first started watching football and in 1966 there was not much to choose between the two Bristol clubs. Rovers have underachieved compared to City since then. So Bristol Rovers might have a strong case?

I love winding a Bristol Rovers fan up by qualifying I'm only including current Pro league clubs ;)

I fear you are right though (count Cardiff out, they've been there). Brighton and Bristol City are probably the biggest two yet to appear in the Premier League. And boy have there been some much smaller ones too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here