Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Brighton the biggest club yet to play in the Premiership?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
The Prem was formed in 1992/3 when brighton were on a hand cart to extinction so given they made the play offs to the Prem 20 years later with a great stadium, it's a bit harsh to say they under achieved and I say and someone who keeps being called a Palace fan.

What do YOU think Questions? As you call yourself on this thread.

Last edited:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
It wasn't though was it. It was the break away of the top division with its members deciding that they wanted to cash in and bugger the rest of you.

Agreed. I meant a name change of what we now call the top tier of English football. But the PL as a self-serving, money-grabbing and altogether shameless power grab, yes, agree. So let's not mark playing in, oooh, the "Premier League" as a measure of a Club. Let's just measure how long since a Club played in the top flight.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
As Japanese Steve said we have played in the PL only difference being it was called the first division.

Sadly not the case, it's a breakaway league and therefore one we have never played in but still has the same structure and promotion / relegation as before.....
FA Premier League formed on 20 February 1992 following the decision of clubs in the Football League First Division to break away from the Football League and take advantage of a lucrative television rights deal. In 1992, the First Division clubs resigned from the Football League en masse and on 27 May 1992 the FA Premier League was formed as a limited company working out of an office at the Football Association's then headquarters in Lancaster Gate. This meant a break-up of the 104-year-old Football League that had operated until then with four divisions; the Premier League would operate with a single division and the Football League with three.

There was no change in competition format; the same number of teams competed in the top flight, and promotion and relegation between the Premier League and the new First Division remained the same as the old First and Second Divisions with three teams relegated from the league and three promoted

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Hang on chaps, we DID play in the top level of English football. Don't let Sky rewrite history, top level football did exist before 1992.

This. Get on my tits no end when I see Alan Shearer constantly being described as the top-flights all time leading scorer.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hang on chaps, we DID play in the top level of English football. Don't let Sky rewrite history, top level football did exist before 1992.

This a 1000 times over. The thread is meaningless. We have played in the top flight.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You can debate the merits of Notts County, Preston North End and Huddersfield, Grimsby, Luton and Bristol City here...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_clubs

Hell, even Bury have won the FA Cup twice and had 22 seasons in the top flight.

I would love to see us leave this list, but I'm not into all this 'who is the biggest club nonsense.' When you support your club they are by their very nature "the greatest team the world has ever seen."

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If you're going further back you could throw Notts County in there. Spent 30 years in the top division and they were relegated from the top flight the season before the Premier league was formed, unlucky for them. Obviously nowhere near that right now.

No they didn't.

They were promoted in 81/82, relegated 3 years later and then promoted again for one season in 1991- any idea who they beat in their play off final?

As far as support is concerned, they fair just as averagely with their record attendance during their glory years being just 11k. Therefore I think the honour of being a "big club" is a little wasted on the Magpies.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
What others haven't so far?

Preston are historically bigger in my view but beyond that I'm wondering who else? It's a damning thought in many ways and underlines how underachieving we are. :(

Poor & dull
Premiership ceased to exist 4? Years back so 'yet' is inaccurate
Bristol City took 5,080 to Milton Keynes for a league game a couple of weeks back

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And how are we under achieving? We have under achieved this year, but the previous two seasons we were in a play off berth.

The season before was consolidation after being League 1 champions.

Before that we spent 10 years at an athletics stadium with 6000 crowds.

Before that, football was not a family affair in the 90's or 80's due to first violence and then for us scandalous asset stripping. Crowds were not big.

Brighton had at that point never been a big club. Always a division 3 club.

Nowadays, I'd say we are right on track. Yes we should expect more, but that's due to what we have now and not some weight of history argument.

Apologies, but this thread had made me cross. Especially when it has been tweeted to the wider world by NorthStandChat.

el punal

What others haven't so far?

Preston are historically bigger in my view but beyond that I'm wondering who else? It's a damning thought in many ways and underlines how underachieving we are. :(
Why is it damning for goodness sake? The vast majority of our time in the Football League has been spent in Division 3/3 South. With the occasional foray into Division 2 and four wonder years in Division 1.

Up till 2011 we were make weights for the lower divisions. So it's only in the last two years, where we have achieved play-off status, have we been considered as possible promotion candidates.

It took Swansea ten years to go from the old Division 3 to the Premier League and eventually with a new ground to boot. So what do you want? Splash the cash and buy overpriced players to achieve this and end up like Portsmouth or QPR?

I'll admit that this season has been disappointing on the pitch, but that's football, rough with the smooth. If we avoid relegation this season we will still be in the Championship as we have been for the last four years. So we start afresh for 2015/16.

Patience is a virtue in football which a lot of sack-hungry chairmen and directors do not possess. The same applies to some of our unrealistic fans.

el punal

F
And how are we under achieving? We have under achieved this year, but the previous two seasons we were in a play off berth.

The season before was consolidation after being League 1 champions.

Before that we spent 10 years at an athletics stadium with 6000 crowds.

Before that, football was not a family affair in the 90's or 80's due to first violence and then for us scandalous asset stripping. Crowds were not big.

Brighton had at that point never been a big club. Always a division 3 club.

Nowadays, I'd say we are right on track. Yes we should expect more, but that's due to what we have now and not some weight of history argument.

Apologies, but this thread had made me cross. Especially when it has been tweeted to the wider world by NorthStandChat.
Sorry! You beat me to it - echoes my post.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Why is it damning for goodness sake? The vast majority of our time in the Football League has been spent in Division 3/3 South. With the occasional foray into Division 2 and four wonder years in Division 1.

Up till 2011 we were make weights for the lower divisions. So it's only in the last two years, where we have achieved play-off status, have we been considered as possible promotion candidates.

It took Swansea ten years to go from the old Division 3 to the Premier League and eventually with a new ground to boot. So what do you want? Splash the cash and buy overpriced players to achieve this and end up like Portsmouth or QPR?

I'll admit that this season has been disappointing on the pitch, but that's football, rough with the smooth. If we avoid relegation this season we will still be in the Championship as we have been for the last four years. So we start afresh for 2015/16.

Patience is a virtue in football which a lot of sack-hungry chairmen and directors do not possess. The same applies to some of our unrealistic fans.

Agree 100%. Sanity.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bristol City and Plymouth are two similar sized clubs who haven't featured. All three of us would get 30-35k in the top division, given the right stadium.

Preston and Huddersfield are historically much bigger clubs than us but neither are any more.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I saw the tongue in cheek Real Madrid answer.

I'll raise it with a more likely but possibly unthinkable Celtic and Rangers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here