[Politics] Are baby boomers taxed enough?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are baby boomers taxed enough?

• No, there needs to considerably more taxation of their wealth

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • No, they need to be taxed a little bit more

Votes: 24 15.5%
  • They're taxed about the right amount

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • They're taxed too much, they need more tax relief

Votes: 33 21.3%

• Total voters

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Blimey, they must have been a real fruitcake to pay that much.😉
I know someone who recently paid £600 for a wedding cake.
Fruit cake, marzipan, some icing.
Total rip off and anyone happy to pay that can’t complain about costs!
£600 isn't that OTT nowadays (ridiculous I know), £1k+ is common apparently. Even the average (2022 stats) is over £300.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I never married. I was with someone for almost ten years but we never tied the knot.

Anyway, there was a period of about 5 years in our early thirties where all our friends were getting married.

This sort of arms-race ensued as people vied to be bigger and better than the last.

With no thought to the cost to the guests. Stag do’s, gifts, outfits, meals, etc.

They were mostly fun but Jiminy Cricket! I think we totted up that we’d spent circa 10k on other people’s weddings over the 5 years.

Luckily someone broke the race with a registry office wedding and a disco afterward. It was great.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Having just responded to a post report which seemed to suggest the user undertaking some sort of legal action against NSC for the term "the pitchforks are coming", I'd just like to highlight that, in this context, it was first coined by multi-billionaire Nick Hanauer, when he wrote about wealth inequality.

Should you be interested, you can read it here:

...or if video is more your bag you can watch the TED talk:

I'm not a great fan of @Mustafa II - he was, intentionally by my reckoning, a massive pain in the arse under his previous II-less username, and then just came back as if nothing had happened - no recognition of what he'd done before, no humility and no apology.

But he clearly wasn't advocating violence in his use of the term.

Anyway, happy Friday everyone. Carry on.

Thanks, that's correct, I was in no way advocating violence with the term.

In respect of recognising 'what I'd done' or even apologising for it, I don't think I did anything wrong. If anything, now we are blessed with hindsight, it turns out that I was right about most of my claims (about COVID). I would be happy to discuss it again, but I feel it's better left in the past, unless we would like to open that particular can of worms again.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I never married. I was with someone for almost ten years but we never tied the knot.

Anyway, there was a period of about 5 years in our early thirties where all our friends were getting married.

This sort of arms-race ensued as people vied to be bigger and better than the last.

With no thought to the cost to the guests. Stag do’s, gifts, outfits, meals, etc.

They were mostly fun but Jiminy Cricket! I think we totted up that we’d spent circa 10k on other people’s weddings over the 5 years.

Luckily someone broke the race with a registry office wedding and a disco afterward. It was great.
Our marriage was in somewhere you are familiar with, Reigate, and then down the road from the Register Office and round the corner to the Prince of Wales, Holmesdale Road🥃🍾

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Of course, the OP is talking about pensions etc but everyone pays tax on fuel, energy, some food and adult clothing.

In the meantime, the top 2% of wealth in the country has increased by over 28% in the last ten years or so. It's not taxes that are the problem but what the government actually does with the taxes that are paid.
The latest wheeze is to double the pay off for MPs who are standing down or not re-elected next time round.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Thanks, that's correct, I was in no way advocating violence with the term.

In respect of recognising 'what I'd done' or even apologising for it, I don't think I did anything wrong. If anything, now we are blessed with hindsight, it turns out that I was right about most of my claims (about COVID). I would be happy to discuss it again, but I feel it's better left in the past, unless we would like to open that particular can of worms again.
Wasn't it you that claimed that @Bozza was profiting from all of your posts on here and that you wanted them all deleted? Not something that could have been done easily or quickly by someone who runs this site for nothing in their spare time.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Undeserved? Really? I have worked bloody hard to have what I have and went without for a few years when the mortgage was crippling etc, etc. Jog off you leftie twat!

Young people are working just as hard, but with a lot lot less to show for it, or even nothing at all.

Boomers are so in denial about the whole situation. Of course you want to enjoy your retirement, the fruits of your labour... but at least have a little bit of sympathy for the young who will never get to experience such things.

At the same time, you can only squeeze young people so hard before something gives. There really needs to be a democratic solution to this, and the wealthy boomers will have to give up some of their wealth.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

December 1982 was a big month for me ... I turned 21 and we moved into our first house. AND ... I got married. Me and Mrs HS had been working two jobs most of the year to save the deposit for our house. Usual 9-5pm then home for jacket spud or spag bol ... then out cleaning factory offices for a couple of hours or so! No big birthday celebration ... no stag do ... registry office wedding with just family and a couple of friends followed by a meal and a few drinks. All very very low cost. No weekend binge drinking ... no meals out.

The registry office we were married in (Bournemouth) ... is now a strip club called Wiggle :eek:

Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 15.20.52.png

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sometimes when I see a fatty, puffing on a fag, trundling along in a mobility scooter with her shopping bag full of sugary treats, I think

“I’ll be paying for that revolting slob to sit on their fat arse, draining the NHS and moaning they are not doing enough for her”

The Social Care / NHS bill for people that are essentially lazy and ignorant is astronomical.

No amount of health education seems to work. Tax the tits off the slovenly, I say. Stop their benefits.
What do we tax next then ? People who use the NHS for sports injuries ? Maybe people like me who have high blood pressure - make me pay the full costs of the drugs I need. I know you like walking - lets tax walkers for any injuries they get and for the cost of maintaining footpaths.

f*** it, lets just go the whole hog and use the American model of healthcare. I'd also tax people more that decide to go into industries that work is scarce because they don't contibute as much as say accountants or IT engineers - lets use acting as an example.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I do know what you mean, but my opinion is that by the time they reach that stage it's too late - people can't change at that stage in life. They can't exercise for a start because their knees are knackered. Healthy eating, exercise and a generally healthy lifestyle should be strongly encouraged in children so they develop lifetime habits. Heavily tax unhealthy food, reduce tax/VAT on vegetables etc, invest in playing fields, sport at school etc.
Veg doesn't have VAT added.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What do we tax next then ? People who use the NHS for sports injuries ? Maybe people like me who have high blood pressure - make me pay the full costs of the drugs I need. I know you like walking - lets tax walkers for any injuries they get and for the cost of maintaining footpaths.

f*** it, lets just go the whole hog and use the American model of healthcare. I'd also tax people more that decide to go into industries that work is scarce because they don't contibute as much as say accountants or IT engineers - lets use acting as an example.
I imagine statistically walkers and those who partake in sport save the NHS more than they cost it.

Edit

But yes, I see your point.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Young people are working just as hard, but with a lot lot less to show for it, or even nothing at all.

Boomers are so in denial about the whole situation. Of course you want to enjoy your retirement, the fruits of your labour... but at least have a little bit of sympathy for the young who will never get to experience such things.

At the same time, you can only squeeze young people so hard before something gives. There really needs to be a democratic solution to this, and the wealthy boomers will have to give up some of their wealth.
I'll be giving up my wealth soon enough when I go to the grave and then my grandchildren will have it, so it does get passed onto the millenials. I didn't get a thing from my parents when they died. Not one penny.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

You’ve got a right cobb on about this haven’t you?! One thing for sure, you ain’t living to a booming old age at this rate! Too angry and resentful at everyone ‘considerably richer than yowl!’ Calm down dear, you’ll give yourself a hernia if not a heart attack and nobody wants that, not least your goodself. Btw, in case you’re not fishing, it’s nowhere as simplistic as you’re making out but I think you know this. I’d stop trying to change the world, focus on what is within your control. Easier, calmer and more peaceful existence :)

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
You’ve got a right cobb on about this haven’t you?! One thing for sure, you ain’t living to a booming old age at this rate! Too angry and resentful at everyone ‘considerably richer than yowl!’ Calm down dear, you’ll give yourself a hernia if not a heart attack and nobody wants that, not least your goodself. Btw, in case you’re not fishing, it’s nowhere as simplistic as you’re making out but I think you know this. I’d stop trying to change the world, focus on what is within your control. Easier, calmer and more peaceful existence :)

I'm doing fine, but it's not about me.

It's about the millions of young people who feel like they have no future - which to be fair, they probably don't, unless things change.

Rent, work, die - with no real pension to fall back on to enjoy any kind of retirement. Daren't even speculate how they will afford social care, or if they will even get any.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm doing fine, but it's not about me.

It's about the millions of young people who feel like they have no future - which to be fair, they probably don't, unless things change.

Rent, work, die - with no real pension to fall back on to enjoy any kind of retirement. Daren't even speculate how they will afford social care, or if they will even get any.
How is that older people’s fault.

My Mum and Stepdad were always dirt poor.
My dad and his family were okay off.

But one thing I learned from most of my family is to make the most of what you have.

Don’t spend your days bemoaning that it’s all f***ed. Before you know it your days will be over.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I imagine statistically walkers and those who partake in sport save the NHS more than they cost it. So we’ll leave them be.

I take medication for high blood pressure, I pay on a PPC. Saves a few quid but I pay in. So we’ll leave that.

The career tax thing? When I was in film and television I paid a pretty penny in tax. So we’ll leave actors be.

I wouldn’t advocate an American system as there are people of all ages that have conditions through no fault of their own.

So it’s just the fatties and the smokers 🤣
LOL! Although it’s not as simple as you make out and your other comment about ‘mobility scooter fatties’ is perhaps a little unkind.

The Food Industry which my careers-in has an enormous and better role to play in this, as have many others. To a degree, we’re all completely at their mercy and guess what, they hold all the aces and are immensely - like IMMENSELY - powerful. As with just about every other fabric of life these days: water, energy, tech etc.

The average person in the street has neither the time, nor inclination, to properly understand what they literally stomach 3 times a day. I’m a hypocrite in this sense too. I’ve more war stories about the food industry than you’ve had hot dinners believe me. You’d be amazed. But I can’t afford the lawyers as they say 🤣😃

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
LOL! Although it’s not as simple as you make out and your other comment about ‘mobility scooter fatties’ is perhaps a little unkind.

The Food Industry which my careers-in has an enormous and better role to play in this, as have many others. To a degree, we’re all completely at their mercy and guess what, they hold all the aces and are immensely - like IMMENSELY - powerful. As with just about every other fabric of life these days: water, energy, tech etc.

The average person in the street has neither the time, nor inclination, to properly understand what they literally stomach 3 times a day. I’m a hypocrite in this sense too. I’ve more war stories about the food industry than you’ve had hot dinners believe me. You’d be amazed. But I can’t afford the lawyers as they say 🤣😃
Indeed. I have since edited my original post. I was being rather silly.

And yes, the food industry has a lot to answer for.

This was a great documentary. Can’t find the full episode but..

The Men Who Made Us Fat

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
How is that older people’s fault.

My Mum and Stepdad were always dirt poor.
My dad and his family were okay off.

But one thing I learned from most of my family is to make the most of what you have.

Don’t spend your days bemoaning that it’s all f***ed. Before you know it your days will be over.

It's nobodys fault... it's just the way things have panned out.

Boomers were lucky to be born when they were - but that ship has sailed. Low or average earning young people will never experience such wealth, or anything close... or anything at all - unless they are 'lucky' enough to receive a huge inheritance, as macabre as that reality is.

It's a big problem. Possibly the biggest problem, up there with climate change. It's a ticking timb bomb.

Obviously we should take these things incredibly seriously. "Don't spend your days bemoaning" - what do you suggest to do instead? You boomers are so deluded and selfish. Just because you're doing alright...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As opposed to mortgage work die, with any savings being eroded by social care.

You really need to time travel back to Stalin's Russia where everyone was equal. With your resentment against the relative wealthy (senior party members) you would have won an all expenses paid vacation to Siberia.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's nobodys fault... it's just the way things have panned out.

Boomers were lucky to be born when they were - but that ship has sailed. Low or average earning young people will never experience such wealth, or anything close... or anything at all - unless they are 'lucky' enough to receive a huge inheritance, as macabre as that reality is.

It's a big problem. Possibly the biggest problem, up there with climate change. It's a ticking timb bomb.

Obviously we should take these things incredibly seriously. "Don't spend your days bemoaning" - what do you suggest to do instead? You boomers are so deluded and selfish. Just because you're doing alright...
I’m not a boomer. My parents were.

What to do instead of bemoaning? Go out and earn more money?

I took certain steps to ensure I would be financially okay from getting up at 4am every day to do a cleaning job as well as my full time job to working lots of overtime and other stuff.
I work Christmas, New Year. I have two jobs. I work 60 hour weeks.
Like many others do.

I still have a social life. Still see family. You make it work.

And yes, lucky enough to have some money from inheritance. Which is put aside for my retirement and social care should I need it. I have no children so ain’t nobody gonna be putting me in the annex and looking after me.

If you’re not happy with your lot and you’re able-bodied, get to work. Work. Work. Work some more.

That’s what normal people have done since time immemorial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports