[Politics] Are baby boomers taxed enough?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are baby boomers taxed enough?

• No, there needs to considerably more taxation of their wealth

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • No, they need to be taxed a little bit more

Votes: 24 15.5%
  • They're taxed about the right amount

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • They're taxed too much, they need more tax relief

Votes: 33 21.3%

• Total voters

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Another wow post.

The immigrants are required to fill the gaps we have NOW. the economic migrants who come to work in care, hospitals, and often low paid roles. This is an issue for the present day.

The issue with birth rates falling is the impact this will have in 20-30 years. We will need even more immigrants or a drastic change in life expectancy. If those immigrants that come here aged 35 then retire here we will be even more screwed.

I would not be shocked if in 20 years there is a serious discussion about how we reduce the burden on the state of caring for old people.

With the state expected to pay for older people’s care and transport, what else should they pay for? Holidays? It all feels so contradictory that some feel that selling a house to pay for you own care is unacceptable. As a 44 year old if i can’t afford something I will have to sell my home and pay for it. Why should older people not pay for something they need? I genuinely don’t understand.

The burden on the NHS from an ageing population is something that needs to be addressed.
The assumption that every person needing care,has a saleable asset that will cover those costs, is wrong.
This may be the case for a percentage of "boomers" in the South of England, but will increasingly not be true of the majority of people in need of care.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another wow post.

The immigrants are required to fill the gaps we have NOW. the economic migrants who come to work in care, hospitals, and often low paid roles. This is an issue for the present day.

The issue with birth rates falling is the impact this will have in 20-30 years. We will need even more immigrants or a drastic change in life expectancy. If those immigrants that come here aged 35 then retire here we will be even more screwed.

I would not be shocked if in 20 years there is a serious discussion about how we reduce the burden on the state of caring for old people.

With the state expected to pay for older people’s care and transport, what else should they pay for? Holidays? It all feels so contradictory that some feel that selling a house to pay for you own care is unacceptable. As a 44 year old if i can’t afford something I will have to sell my home and pay for it. Why should older people not pay for something they need? I genuinely don’t understand.

Wow!!!!

The immigrants are by nature younger folk, with kids or kids will follow in time. They will fulfil many jobs, especially when the next government hopefully addresses the labour market blocks. The issue caused by Brexit is that higher skilled and other jobs remain vacant.

Naturally this, in huge numbers, is tempering the otherwise ageing demographic.

Care for old people has been a big political discussion for at least 25 years. Every government kicks the can down the road.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Was talking to some people at work about subsidised work canteens and how when i started working they were pretty common. One guy approaching retirement was telling us how he'd get a subsidised three course meal which meant he didn't really need to spend anything on food outside work. He got a final salary pension too. But please tell us how hard done by you were boomers

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The burden on the NHS from an ageing population is something that needs to be addressed.
The assumption that every person needing care,has a saleable asset that will cover those costs, is wrong.
This may be the case for a percentage of "boomers" in the South of England, but will increasingly not be true of the majority of people in need of care.

The population has increased by 9m since 1997. On that basis alone we need a far greater NHS.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've long thought that boomers and people in my generation (X) need to be taxed more.

We got lucky. Many of us got houses and are sat on large pots of equity and cash (in pensions). It's got nothing to do with pure hard work. A lot of it is right place at right time.

But hey, this whole country is rigged in favour of older generations.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I went to school, I worked hard, I survived council estates and State schools... I started work, I made a living, I raised a family, I worked for 4 companies across 37 years, I still pay tax on my pension after already paying tax on that same earned money..... I say my past and present contributions to the treasury is enough.....
This approx for me too 👍👍

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I've long thought that boomers and people in my generation (X) need to be taxed more.

We got lucky. Many of us got houses and are sat on large pots of equity and cash (in pensions). It's got nothing to do with pure hard work. A lot of it is right place at right time.

The country has become increasingly rigged towards the older generations.
It hasn't always been the case.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The best thing we can all do to stay out of care homes is stay mobile, fit, and healthy.

70% of people are in care homes because they have lost mobility. There for no other reason than they can’t get out of a chair or go upstairs.

Obviously there are conditions people cannot help but staying active and mobile if you can, is the best thing you can do for yourself.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Whoa…i seem to be missing out on this rigging

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wow!!!!

The immigrants are by nature younger folk, with kids or kids will follow in time. They will fulfil many jobs, especially when the next government hopefully addresses the labour market blocks. The issue caused by Brexit is that higher skilled and other jobs remain vacant.

Naturally this, in huge numbers, is tempering the otherwise ageing demographic.

Care for old people has been a big political discussion for at least 25 years. Every government kicks the can down the road.
Another sensible post

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
You do realise that the triple lock was suspended in 2022? If the triple lock had been followed, the state pension would have increased by more than 8%. It didn't - it went up by 3.1%. Yes, the increase this year was 10.1% ... but the state pension isn't exactly a fortune! And at the moment there is only a 'pledge' to keep it in place until 2024.
Fair enough, no I didn't know it was suspended in 2022.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
This country needs to invest in proper means testing of everything from benefits to service provision including the NHS. Too much money handed out to people who don't need it and services being provided for free to people who can afford to contribute a bit extra to those services. Also, as others have said, standardise taxation from all sources of income.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sometimes when I see a fatty, puffing on a fag, trundling along in a mobility scooter with her shopping bag full of sugary treats, I think

“I’ll be paying for that revolting slob to sit on their fat arse, draining the NHS and moaning they are not doing enough for her”

The Social Care / NHS bill for people that are essentially lazy and ignorant is astronomical.

No amount of health education seems to work. Tax the tits off the slovenly, I say. Stop their benefits.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sometimes when I see a fatty, puffing on a fag, trundling along in a mobility scooter with her shopping bag full of sugary treats, I think

“I’ll be paying for that revolting slob to sit on their fat arse, draining the NHS and moaning they are not doing enough for her”

The Social Care / NHS bill for people that are essentially lazy and ignorant is astronomical.

No amount of health education seems to work. Tax the tits off the slovenly, I say. Stop their benefits.
You’re all heart Clampy 😂

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really mean. 😂😂

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Whoa…i seem to be missing out on this rigging
Maybe you are.

Median wealth amongst those in their early sixties is 8 times higher than those in their early 30s.

Younger generations are unable to get on the housing ladder and therefore live in rented accommodation when costs are higher. This means their out going costs are higher which eats into any savings they try to build up.

You may experience something different, but this is the trend.

I live in a house that is worth a lot of money. I don’t work any harder than younger generations that will never see that.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

The government should buy them a bike instead so that they can go and find a job and get fit at the same time. :sneaky:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This country needs to invest in proper means testing of everything from benefits to service provision including the NHS. Too much money handed out to people who don't need it and services being provided for free to people who can afford to contribute a bit extra to those services. Also, as others have said, standardise taxation from all sources of income.
I still work a few days a week with people with addictions.
Now, some of them are really trying. Engaging with services, tackling their substance misuse, even in education or training. They deserve support and empathy.

But then vast majority just take benefits, housing, freebies, fare-share food etc and just drift through life with a sense of entitlement, demanding stuff from the taxpayer, charities, and service providers.

Don’t get me wrong, they lead a miserable life, it’s not a good existence but the f***ing sums of money spent on them is ludicrous. It’s rarely appreciated. And it’s throwing good money after bad.

I’m genuinely so sick of them taking the piss that this is my last two weeks of doing that work. I am moving on. Seen enough.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Wow.

This is not about me.

I have a house. Almost paid off mortgage. I grew up without mobile phone and internet as well. I was a kid of the 80s. My old man was armed forces and we had experience of the impact of IRA on daily life. He couldn’t travel in uniform and we had big checks whenever we went on base. This is not about me. It is about the generation who can’t afford anything because of the actions of the boomers in the 80s and 90s when fake wealth with credit became a boon.
what the deuce is fake wealth and credit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports