Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are away fans

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There is plenty of evidence out there showing that homework doesn't improve educational outcomes. Often it does the reverse. Kids that need to improve their skill and understandings don't do homework and end up resenting it and the rest of their learning because of the stress and strain it puts on them and their families. Your sons head has made a decision based on sound research and data.

Incidentally though the Head can't ban homework, if you want to set your son some then you are well within your rights to do so.

What evidence exactly? My friend's son is privately educated and has had formal homework since he was 6. He's a good year ahead of the kids in the same year at our LEA school and it's been ranked "outstanding". The way that's written sounds like it's progressive nonsense written without a care for the brighter students that need pushing. Quite apart from the fact that in the world of work you will often need to do overtime, take work home and be brutally assessed I think post #1 in this thread shows what happens when educational research meets national curriculum.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
c1-av-13.png

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
OK all of it wasn't meant to be personal and for that I apologise. The point is that if he'd been taught properly he wouldn't be making such public mistakes.

You don't know if he has been 'taught properly' or not. Grammar is a very important part of the curriculum, and pupil progress is monitored much more closely than it used to be. Despite this, some people still make grammatical errors, often for phonetic reasons that vary from region to region. We are not all the same, and some people struggle to pick up concepts that others consider obvious.

I don't know what you do for a living, and don't care really. I won't use an isolated example from your profession to 'prove' that what you do is not to be valued.

What I objected to was a stream of posts, probably from fully grown men, taking the piss out of a poster who seems young and undeserving of this response to his grammatical error.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What evidence exactly? My friend's son is privately educated and has had formal homework since he was 6. He's a good year ahead of the kids in the same year at our LEA school and it's been ranked "outstanding". The way that's written sounds like it's progressive nonsense written without a care for the brighter students that need pushing. Quite apart from the fact that in the world of work you will often need to do overtime, take work home and be brutally assessed I think post #1 in this thread shows what happens when educational research meets national curriculum.
National curriculum had little to do with educational research.

Your example there is probably the result of many factors. Homework may or may not be one of them.

Have a look into it you may be surprised.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Come to think of it and if my memory serves me correctly, I think a thread with the very same title and "possibly" started by the same author appeared a couple of months ago. Deja vu?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
National curriculum had little to do with educational research.

Your example there is probably the result of many factors. Homework may or may not be one of them.

Have a look into it you may be surprised.

OFSTED appear not to agree. The school has just been marked down from a 1 to a 3 because the pupils are not achieving enough in a year and because the brightest and eldest are falling behind.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
OFSTED appear not to agree. The school has just been marked down from a 1 to a 3 because the pupils are not achieving enough in a year and because the brightest and eldest are falling behind.

Finland has the best education system in the world that consistently sit on top of world statistics in eduation and has no homework, less face to face time and no standardised testing.

OFSTED does disagree but that doesn't make it right.

The debate is raging on this and has been for a long time. The trouble is that there are so many variables that affect a child's education that it is hard to determine the effect of one. the impact of homework needs to be seen from a holistic point of view and not just determined on it's effects on the 'best and brightest' or on it's effects on academic achievement.For example, Homework can be a massive source of family stress and cause the demotivation of students so they work less at school. It can also be a waste of time for those best and brightest because it will not be appropriate for their level of learning, homework is often 'busy work' or 'One size fits all' which will meet the educational needs of a middle band of students but cause frustration for students at the lower academic end and boredom at the higher, both of which result in resentment.

Anyway the debate rages on. I sense that you are pretty set in your opinion on homework but here is some reading if you are interested.

http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/hwach.htm

http://www.sedl.org/pubs/sedl-letter/v20n02/homework.html

http://www.centerforpubliceducation...ut-the-value-of-homework-Research-review.html

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/f...children-dont-start-school-until-they-are-7-1

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/why-are-finlands-schools-successful-49859555/?no-ist

The stuff about Finland it goes against almost everything that we value in our education systems and they gets better results.

Personally i sway one way and then the other on this topic but ultimately I believe that overall the hour a week i spend setting and marking homework could be used in a more beneficial way. The 'best and brightest' of which you speak tend to study at home anyway and find their own way to extend themselves and challenge their learning, if this is not the case then maybe it is up to parents who wish their kids to do homework to accept some of the burden here and find challenging and interesting activities to do with their kids (of course many parents do this stuff anyway so why do we want kids to be doing even more homework?).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Anyway not doing a u turn here as I enjoy a good piss take but just for information I'm a regular reader and occasional contributor to the very popular FC United forum. Not once in eight years have I seen anyone corrected for common errors such as "their" or the word "loose", its simply ignored. Text speak or posting when pissed is pulled up but not common grammatical errors

You're right of course but their errors will remain common if no-one corrects them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here