Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Archaeologists check Falmer site ????

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is standard practice prior to any major construction project.

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
This is standard part of the planning process, planning law PPG16.

They would have already carried out any desk-based work on the site. this work will be just precautionary as with any building work. If any thing had been found in the past, the site would not have been allowed by the council/respective archaeological body for the area.

The likelihood anything will be found, beyond pieces of pot, and possible farm machinery/debris will be small. they just have to have them in to do the survey to comply with the law.

I should know i am an archaeology student.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Lets hope they find two new full backs, a complete midfield and a back up striker.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
But..... what happens if they do find something though?

IF they find something, the Archaeologists will need to agree a programme which identifies the period of time that the contractor (and the Albion) are willing to allow them to investigate their finds.

It is then up to the Archaeologists to ensure that all work they need to undertake is completed by the agreed date in order not to delay the contract.

If anything significant is found, protection of the find may be required. This could delay the project in order that design proposals for the method of protection can be agreed.

My experience of this was on a significant housing project in Colchester, where archaeologists unearthed the only Roman Circus (chariot racing arena) in this country. Due to the significance of this discovery, further investigation was warranted (Time Team also got involved for a "special programme").

But the Archaeologists still HAD to complete their work by the set deadline.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Two bald Dunlop Tyres, an old toilet, a complete but rusting set of spanners and assorted shit.

I'm talking about our team, not what they'll find in that field.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Wasn't that supposed to be north of the A27?

Most of the Downs round Brighton was used by the military in the last war for training, particularly the Canadians - there are weapons ranges all over the place, and if you walk the Downs regularly you'll often see spent rounds, mortar fragments, shell casing, etc,as well as occasional unexploded munitions. Dunno if there was a range where we want to put our stadium, though, as it seems a bit close the the scenic railway and A27.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Most of the Downs round Brighton was used by the military in the last war for training, particularly the Canadians - there are weapons ranges all over the place, and if you walk the Downs regularly you'll often see spent rounds, mortar fragments, shell casing, etc,as well as occasional unexploded munitions. Dunno if there was a range where we want to put our stadium, though, as it seems a bit close the the scenic railway and A27.

I am pretty sure the range was up behind the uni ground where the club trains. Will try and get hold of my uncle soon to find out for sure.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Three people who are considerably older than myself remember the Canadians firing mortars there, and two of them are in the Bib & Tucker at the moment, and are very heavily into local history.

Now awaits flaming, or is that Falmering.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Looking for further information I have found this interesting snippet in Dave Bangs book "A Freedom To Roam Guide to the Brighton Downs." on his comments on Falmer he does not mention shell practise or anything else in this part of the book, which maybe elsewhere, but i thought this was worth sharing.

"The thatched barn is one of the best vernacular buildings surviving in the on the Brighton Downs. In cultural terns it is more worthwhile than somewhere like Stanmer House, whose future has been so publicly debated. Yet scarce anyone in Brighton has visited it, despite it being sited on a Council-owned farm, for the farmyard gate tells you to keep out of this private place. In 2006 the barn and Court farmhouse were quitely sold by the Labour Council to the tenant farmer, who promptly sold it on to a property developer. Conversion to an entertainment centre for corporate and private functions is planned."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looking for further information I have found this interesting snippet in Dave Bangs book "A Freedom To Roam Guide to the Brighton Downs." on his comments on Falmer he does not mention shell practise or anything else in this part of the book, which maybe elsewhere, but i thought this was worth sharing.

"The thatched barn is one of the best vernacular buildings surviving in the on the Brighton Downs. In cultural terns it is more worthwhile than somewhere like Stanmer House, whose future has been so publicly debated. Yet scarce anyone in Brighton has visited it, despite it being sited on a Council-owned farm, for the farmyard gate tells you to keep out of this private place. In 2006 the barn and Court farmhouse were quitely sold by the Labour Council to the tenant farmer, who promptly sold it on to a property developer. Conversion to an entertainment centre for corporate and private functions is planned."

Top researching by the Dover boy :clap:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
DK lost a thrupenny bit , somewhere near the pond in 1957 and is anxious to retrieve it before works begin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here