Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I downloaded it.
You people overrated it, a completely underwhelming album.

Do you mean Funeral or Reflektor? Either way you need to give it a few listens.

When I first heard Funeral I ocsillated between thinking it was rough and amatuer or unbelieveably good. After a short while it got under my skin and the rest is history. its always a pleasure to go back to it after a break.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm another in the 'somehow passed me by camp'. I've just ordered the first three albums from Amazon, for a total of £15, based purely one the evangelical strength of feeling on this thread.

Reflektor is on my Xmas list.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I'm another in the 'somehow passed me by camp'. I've just ordered the first three albums from Amazon, for a total of £15, based purely one the evangelical strength of feeling on this thread.

Reflektor is on my Xmas list.

Oh blimey.

You don't think it might have been better to put your toe in the water with a fiver or so for Funeral first?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh blimey.

You don't think it might have been better to put your toe in the water with a fiver or so for Funeral first?
There's enough people on the thread whose music tastes I'm familiar with, for it to be no gamble.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I downloaded it.
You people overrated it, a completely underwhelming album.

Unless you've spent at least a good week with it, you're judging it too early. Or it's just not your sort of thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hot off the press - tonight in Glasgow.....

I've watched this a few times now. I cannot get over how loud that crowd is. To say I'm excited about Tuesday night is an understatement.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Arcade Fire have passed me by up to now, but something tells me i'm missing something......where is a good place to start?

Same here mate. I've got no time to delve into their past right now so it will probably have to wait till christmas but thats ok because there's still plenty of mileage in their only two songs i know so far;Reflektor and Afterlife. I was gobsmacked to find they're massive in the US and disappointed (and surprised) to learn they're not British. If it wasnt for the piano at the end of Reflektor i might not be here but what i've found is an extremely accomplished band that is nailed on to headline Glastonbury. I'm suspicious though that the reason they haven't is the same reason as i have; Nothing they've done so far is up to the standard of Reflektor. Alot of time,effort and money went into this song clearly, which they may not have had previously
And i've heard Wyn Butler hasn't presented himself very well in the past. No matter, they have EVERYTHING now including the endorsement of the thin white duke.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Same here mate. I've got no time to delve into their past right now so it will probably have to wait till christmas but thats ok because there's still plenty of mileage in their only two songs i know so far;Reflektor and Afterlife. I was gobsmacked to find they're massive in the US and disappointed (and surprised) to learn they're not British. If it wasnt for the piano at the end of Reflektor i might not be here but what i've found is an extremely accomplished band that is nailed on to headline Glastonbury. I'm suspicious though that the reason they haven't is the same reason as i have; Nothing they've done so far is up to the standard of Reflektor. Alot of time,effort and money went into this song clearly, which they may not have had previously
And i've heard Wyn Butler hasn't presented himself very well in the past. No matter, they have EVERYTHING now including the endorsement of the thin white duke.

That's a very funny post. You'll find over time that Reflektor is the latest in a succession of songs that every bit up to that standard - its an evolution.

They haven't just gained the endorsement of the Thin White Duke - he was on to them well before the rest of us were.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Enjoy tonight in Berlin you lucky b******. I'm expecting thrilling HD quality footage to be up by this time tomorrow!

Many thanks. Not sure about footage but I shall certainly report back tomorrow. Tuxedo is ready, Frau's ballgown is sorted, a bit of disco glitter, some face paint, a few beers and we'll be ready for whatever they throw our way. I have been to hundreds of gigs over the years but I cannot recall being this excited in a long long time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh my word. That was incredible. And just to top the night off one of the band members cadged a fag off me in the bar afterwards. Proper and full report tomorrow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The morning after the night before:

Well, that was much fun. I have not enjoyed a gig as much for ages and it fully lived up to the hype (mostly self-inflicted I have to say). 99% of the crowd followed the dress request and wore formal attire or costume; I literally saw about 8 people all night in civvies. Notable outfits included a banana, a strawberry, a man dressed as a Devo member with the Devo hat and plenty of guys and gals in very elaborate evening costumes, ball gowns and masks etc. They also had face painting available and I ended up with some weird disco glitter 70s Bowie thing on my head.

The venue (like a few in Berlin) is a maze of rooms with a bar, lounge, ante-room and the main room which is a little bigger than the size of Concorde 2 and the whole venue had been dressed up for the night with glitter balls, silver foil backdrops and curtains adorning most walls and pillars, a neon Arcade Fire sign behind one of the bars, a mariachi band performing in the anti-room, a The Reflektors photo opportunity thing where you stick your heads through.

Upon entry we were seranaded by the mariachi band and then greeted by the paper mache head Reflektors who were all rather surreally busting moves to house music in the initially main room.

No support, just some great music to get everyone in the mood and then the lights went down, a drummer played at the back of the room and Win sang the vocal to Body is a Cage (I think) and then they bounded onto the main stage with Reflektor. I'm crap with song titles but notable tunes were Normal Person, Here Comes the Night and Wake Up. They also did a cover which I did not recognise; Win 'sang' this with his paper mache head on.

At the end they encouraged the crowd to hang back and dance to the DJ which we and about 800 others did. I also got talking to Owen Pallett who cadged a smoke off of me; we spoke about the brilliance of the costume idea and how it liberates the crowd. He said the band want to continue this idea to the bigger venues but will assess at the end of this mini-tour.

Get the album, go see them live. They are one very special band currently on a creative high.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, and what I can only presume was a thank you for my evangelical enthusiasm for the band and a nod to my love of craft beer, Win Butler went on some rant against Budweiser.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just found out the cover was Uncontrollable Urge by Devo. Not a song I know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here