Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
They remind me a bit of Talking Heads? QUOTE]

That was my first thought with this record & I think some of that could be the work of the producer James Murphy (of LCD Soundsystem fame, you really should check them out as well.)

Thr earlier stuff is a more familiar indie rock template but unmistakably them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I wonder what brought about Win Butler's change from serious earnest musician/artist into the fun-loving happy-go-lucky party guy he now seems to be? It reminds me when Moby had a similar make-over.

PS picking up my tuxedo for the Tuesday night gig tomorrow!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's a cracking album but I can't understand why it is on 2 CDs. There doesn't seem to be any particular theme running through each one and they could have easily fitted all the tracks on a single CD.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for this tip. I will definitely buy this. To reciprocate I presume you're familiar with Apparat? He's the "rat" of Moderat; Modeselektor being the "Mode". His last album (Krieg und Frieden) was a theatre score and was more drone than beats so maybe start off with his regular albums.

Yeah - I'm just getting into the whole modeselektor apparat stuff at the moment, Thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm also new to both Arcade Fire and Reflektor and I'm enjoying it muchly although it is being played slightly less than Chvrches currently, who were suggested by @wozza.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Yes. I did not think anything would top RAM but this has.

Really? Not getting it yet, a bit underwhelmed frankly, I also have it behind Wise Up Ghost, AM and Spektor At The Feast presently, as well as RAM natch. That Jonathan Ross sample just shits me to tears...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Really? Not getting it yet, a bit underwhelmed frankly, I also have it behind Wise Up Ghost, AM and Spektor At The Feast presently, as well as RAM natch. That Jonathan Ross sample just shits me to tears...

How many listens have you had?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm also new to both Arcade Fire and Reflektor and I'm enjoying it muchly although it is being played slightly less than Chvrches currently, who were suggested by @wozza.

Chvrches are good - got to them via Baths, then Moderat actually. Would suggest you give both the bands I've mentioned a go.

starting point songs:
Moderat - Rusty Nails
Baths - Miasma Sky

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a cracking album but I can't understand why it is on 2 CDs. There doesn't seem to be any particular theme running through each one and they could have easily fitted all the tracks on a single CD.

Disc 2 definitely has a different feel to it though. Sonically disc 1 is a bit out and out party but disc 2 is more down beat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That was my first thought with this record & I think some of that could be the work of the producer James Murphy (of LCD Soundsystem fame, you really should check them out as well.

I second this. His sound and influence is all over Reflektor. IMHO they were the best band of the past 10 or so years and Murphy is one of the best lyricists period. I Cannot think of many writers who are so perceptive and can also evoke so many different emotions with words. LCD Soundsystem is/was James Murphy. Check him/them out.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I may check it out as you have good taste in music HT.

Thank you. Give it a few spins and it should start to work for you. Daft Punk is great but this is next level.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thank you. Give it a few spins and it should start to work for you. Daft Punk is great but this is next level.

I have had RAM on loop for about 2 months now. I am now sure the best track is Touch as that is an Epic, poignant and meaningful with a range of musical styles in 7 minutes. This song is just amazing. Also Get Lucky, 4 minutes of pop about as perfect as you can get it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have had RAM on loop for about 2 months now. I am now sure the best track is Touch as that is an Epic, poignant and meaningful with a range of musical styles in 7 minutes. This song is just amazing. Also Get Lucky, 4 minutes of pop about as perfect as you can get it.

Johnny Marr summed up Get Lucky by saying it's one of those songs when everyone can drop their music prejudices and just enjoy as a great pop song. I agree. Touch is brilliant. Georgio By Moroder is great and Contact does it for me. A fantastic album.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Fantastic album from a fantastic band. I'll never forget the 1st time I heard anything by them - U2 used Wake Up from Funeral as their curtain music for their 2006 stadium shows - as soon as it came on it sounded like something I recognised from way back - but also the newest and most exciting thing I'd heard in years. Funeral stands out as one of the great debut albums of the last decade.

They have a great ability to reinvent themselves whilst still being instantly recognisable as Arcade Fire. I loved Reflektor when it came out as a single but currently Here Comes the Nighttime, Normal Person, Afterlife, Joan of Arc and It's Never Over are the stand outs for me.

But the albums are only half the story. They are a band that HAVE to be seen live. I'm gutted to have missed the current Reflektor dates and the announcement of a mammouth US tour next year is a bit worrying:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/arcade-fire-bringing-reflektor-to-arenas-20131114

I just hope they fit some UK dates into one of the gaps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fantastic album from a fantastic band. I'll never forget the 1st time I heard anything by them - U2 used Wake Up from Funeral as their curtain music for their 2006 stadium shows - as soon as it came on it sounded like something I recognised from way back - but also the newest and most exciting thing I'd heard in years. Funeral stands out as one of the great debut albums of the last decade.

They have a great ability to reinvent themselves whilst still being instantly recognisable as Arcade Fire. I loved Reflektor when it came out as a single but currently Here Comes the Nighttime, Normal Person, Afterlife, Joan of Arc and It's Never Over are the stand outs for me.

But the albums are only half the story. They are a band that HAVE to be seen live. I'm gutted to have missed the current Reflektor dates and the announcement of a mammouth US tour next year is a bit worrying:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/arcade-fire-bringing-reflektor-to-arenas-20131114

I just hope they fit some UK dates into one of the gaps.

Well put and I totally agree. Looking at their current schedule there is a huge gap in May, June and July which is certainly set aside for the European festival circuit and touring. The UK helped break Arcade Fire, they have stated on numerous occasions hoe much they respect and are influenced by our music...they will tour here without a doubt. As an aside I have a suspicion they will headline Glastonbury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here