Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arcade Fire - Reflektor

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Fingers crossed for the rest of the record. For me they've never quite managed to top the emotional depth & consistency of Funeral but have written plenty of great songs since then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It really is very, very good. I'm excited for the album now!

It's epic. It's a tune only a confident band a few albums into their career can really pull off. For me, the new album is more hotly anticipated than Daft Punk was and this is saying something.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fingers crossed for the rest of the record. For me they've never quite managed to top the emotional depth & consistency of Funeral but have written plenty of great songs since then.

Agree with this. Great band but Funeral is easily their best in terms of songwriting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree with this. Great band but Funeral is easily their best in terms of songwriting.

For me Suburbs is up there. It is a departure from the sound and songwriting of Funeral but I really liked the whole artistic concept of that album. That said it was a slow burner for me and I initially felt it was quite flat. As an aside I think they're going to be around for a long time and we will still be enthusing about them in years to come; I think they're quite special.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
For me Suburbs is up there. It is a departure from the sound and songwriting of Funeral but I really liked the whole artistic concept of that album. That said it was a slow burner for me and I initially felt it was quite flat. As an aside I think they're going to be around for a long time and we will still be enthusing about them in years to come; I think they're quite special.

Completely agree, they'll be around a long, long time. I also agree that Funeral was perhaps their strongest album so far, but I absolutely love Neon Bible and Suburbs (which took more time, as you said) too.

Live, they are one of the best bands I've seen. It's hard to think of a band that means more to me at the moment, and I can't wait for the new album.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Albums out today. Not had a chance to listen to it yet.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Albums out today. Not had a chance to listen to it yet.

I am listening to it right now. Sounds like a winner so far - I have been listening to the first disc on repeat, and it sounds like it will be up there.

Not touched Disc 2 yet.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Listened this morning. Some top tunes, a couple more average (on first go), but all round could def be a contender for album of the year. You can tell James Murphy has been invovled.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've heard bad/mixed reviews. Someone reassure me it's good.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

I was far from blown away, but then I don't much like LCD sound system so I wasn't expecting to, as said you can hear James Murphy throughout most of the songs. There were a few I liked but overall not to my personal tastes.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

It's a complete grower, I've listened to the stream about 10 times now & I've gone from minor dissappointment to 8/9 out of 10. Really good, if slightly sprawling & over-ambitous record. To be fair I was bored stiff with The Suburbs so I'm gald they changed things up a bit. It reminds me a bit of the Arctic Monkeys record in the way that it breaks the shackles of genre, freeing them up to step a little outside their comfort zone.

Notice how the poor reviews are tending to be the ones that came out early. I think a lot of publications reviewed it from the embargoed listening party. Tragic idea, any album needs more than one listen FFS.

Talking Heads is the reference point I keep coming back to.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Thats for flagging this up, just offlined it on Spotify for the drive home. Looking forward to it, as I've yet to hear a song they have done that I don't like.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Stand out tracks for me in first listen normal person and Joan of arc but generally a very good album that is gonna get better with more listens.

Could sneak into my albums of the year quite easily.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Can't believe there's a whole thread dedicated to this record. I heard it repeatedly in the background while i was working via 6Music and thought nothing more of it other than another pleasant middle-of-the-road rock tune. However the piano at the end made me take a closer look (Arcade Fire have passed me by previously) At home with decent headphones however,this song has morphed into a beast. 'Epic' and 'grower' are words used in this thread so i'm delighted others share my views. I think its got real staying power. I will want more Arcade Fire eventually (when i'm finished with Reflector) but i cant see where this band can go from here? The video is the perfect addition also, makes the song EVEN better. Brave and outstanding

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, doesn't quite work for me as a single of any length. Too self conscious by far, trying too hard to do a Blue Monday without a strong enough song. Love Arcade Fire but not this. 6/10 for effort.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
How can you be luke warm to this epic Tom? ? Instant contender for tune of the year for me. (Savages - 'Husbands'will run it close though)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here