Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Appreciation for Iñigo Calderón

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Always remember his early impact, scoring at Charlton when we were poor, and seeing that huge grin of delight that he had made a contribution. He's gone from strength to strength.
How perfect would a 5 minute contribution at "Boro be as we secure promotion?
PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Let's not get carried away.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
From an interview, found at:
http://www.football-league.co.uk/ne...-league-unsung-hero-of-the-month-2799686.aspx

“I don’t consider myself as a hero at all. The real heroes in this story should be the top players because I think they have real power to change things.

“If they just said one day that you have to eat a red apple, then 80% of the kids in the world are going to start eating red apples. They could use their power to change things and to do things for the benefit of human beings, instead of just trying to get more and more money with advertising.

“I feel bad about it because I don’t have any power to change things. Maybe if I have a chat with 20 kids and one of them listens to me and changes something in his life to be a better person I am more than happy but these guys, Messi and Ronaldo, they could change the world if they want and they are not doing it. I feel they should do more.

“It doesn’t need to be in their contracts. At the end of the day, they are going to earn the same money. If they want to advertise underwear they can still get millions and millions but at the same time they could say something about peace, or they could tell kids: ‘Please listen to your parents’ or ‘Be good in school’, something simple like that, because society needs that now.

“For me the real heroes should be the ones who save lives, doctors who save the life of a child with cancer.

“Unfortunately the world is such that footballers are the heroes, so I think they should say: ‘Okay I am Messi and I want to change things and do something good for the world.’”

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
You can rate a player by their energy, skills, flair, flexibility and loyalty. Calde has shown all of these in abundance. Then there is that X factor where someone's true character comes through in the way they play and the effect they have on their team. There are few players in the ~40years that I have been supporting Albion who have had this X factor like Calde. He puts his heart and soul into every game whether he starts - or plays for just 10 minutes. I have no doubt that without him we would have gone down last season. He has been a wonderful TEAM player and a joy to watch. I find it hard to imagine an Albion team without him being at the very least in the background.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's been incredible this season.....did a good job out of position when we were desperate, and since he's not been making the matchday squad he's a constant encouraging presence in warm ups, during the game and afterwards - he has seemed at least as excited if not more so than the players trooping off the pitch after another win. Can't begin to imagine the effect he has on the dressing room, new players, younger players etc. Hope he is in line for a long-term role at the club when he hangs up his boots. Truly inspirational figure on all levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

therealdsg

Sep 3, 2011
Preston Park
With the club in the running for automatic promotion to the premier league it's worth bearing in mind that without Calde's passion, commitment and drive last season we'd be in league 1 now. The way in which he dragged a struggling side bereft of confidence and togetherness up by the boot straps to stay in the division says everything that needs to be said regarding this brillaint man. Off the pitch he comes across as a genuinely good guy (a rarity in the sport) and I truly hope that when he finally decides to hang up his boots he'll have a role to play within the club and AITC for as long as he wants.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the best I can say us that Calderon will be rembered for many years to come and whenever he appears on the pitch before a game or during halftime the ovation he receives will be rousing heartfelt and appreciative of his time with us both on and off the pitch.
A true fans favourite.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
When on my one-time-only pre-season trip a few years back in and around Madrid, I texted a friend, with the wish to make his envy of my jaunt ever more effervescent, to say I was to watch Albion train in the searing heat and then meet a few players. His amiable and fan-hearted reply was simply: STROKE THE BEARD. This meant for me to approach Calde and caress, more than likely ever so briefly, his behaired cheeks and chin. I thought of various tactics to somehow persuade Calde to allow this to happen, including me being wheeled to the training pitch by my girlfriend under the pretence that I was handicapped both physically and mentally in a number of ways, meaning the impossibly decent Calde would not fight off my shaky massage of his follicles. But in the I decided I would just show him the text, deliver a wink and say "may I?".
After avidly watching our heroes saunter around a baking field and climbing into an ice-filled paddling pool to cool, I sadly viewed our Spanish contingent waddle gently to their hotel, the likes of Ashley Barnes and JFC coming to share a few words in their stead. Whilst it was an anxious pleasure to share space and the briefest thoughts with them, there were no beards for me to tamper with and a mild sense of disappointment has loitered within me, some of it even to this day. So, Calde, I will ask you to forgive me if I ever see you wandering the streets of somewhere I happen to be, because my instincts will holler at me to thrust my hands toward you face. My full-speed hobble and arms out-stretched might seem in essence, at first, to be heavily tainted with maniacal malice, but remember that I do so with respect and admiration and these gentle crooked paws won't hurt you.

PS - if you ever tell this almost-tale to Bruno, let him know I also had mild intent softly pat his pristine scalp, so not to respond with violence if he one days catches me doing it in passing.

Thanks for everything Calde, and everything more.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
If I were to choose a few men for a statue outside the Amex, it'd be Ward, Reinelt and Calderon. Simply because of Ward's status as possibly our best striker, Reinelt for saving this club with that goal and Calderon as I believe he exemplifies what this club is all about.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Remember his debut at an ice cold Walsall all those years ago and I said to my mate this is an episode of Miami Vice called Calderon's Return as he was Tubbs' nemesis if you followed the series.

Meanwhile my mate proclaimed I must be on serious hard drugs, think we won 2-0 or 2-1 and he looked a great player from the off.

Calde really has been a revelation for us and more importantly a true gentleman.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
http://www.football-league.co.uk/ne...-league-unsung-hero-of-the-month-2799686.aspx

“I don’t consider myself as a hero at all. The real heroes in this story should be the top players because I think they have real power to change things.

“If they just said one day that you have to eat a red apple, then 80% of the kids in the world are going to start eating red apples. They could use their power to change things and to do things for the benefit of human beings, instead of just trying to get more and more money with advertising.

“I feel bad about it because I don’t have any power to change things. Maybe if I have a chat with 20 kids and one of them listens to me and changes something in his life to be a better person I am more than happy but these guys, Messi and Ronaldo, they could change the world if they want and they are not doing it. I feel they should do more.

“It doesn’t need to be in their contracts. At the end of the day, they are going to earn the same money. If they want to advertise underwear they can still get millions and millions but at the same time they could say something about peace, or they could tell kids: ‘Please listen to your parents’ or ‘Be good in school’, something simple like that, because society needs that now.

“For me the real heroes should be the ones who save lives, doctors who save the life of a child with cancer.

“Unfortunately the world is such that footballers are the heroes, so I think they should say: ‘Okay I am Messi and I want to change things and do something good for the world.’”
This is just wonderful.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He made my 6 year old daughter giggle by doing a funny dance whist warming up on the touch line at Swindon. A little thing but it made me smile.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

What wonderful words and sentiments. I had always thought his contribution to the club in every way has been outstanding, but especially his willingness and eagerness, apparently, to get involved in and take a major part in all sorts of community stuff. He is a genuine diamond.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
See you all there

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What a splendid evening. Lots of love for the man and Orlandi via video as well.

Thanks to Al and El Pres and Merry Prankster and all involved.

Top night. And bugger off all the naysayers.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
What a splendid evening. Lots of love for the man and Orlandi via video as well.

Thanks to Al and El Pres and Merry Prankster and all involved.

Top night. And bugger off all the naysayers.

I would love to see that video. Is it available anywhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here