Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Appreciation for Iñigo Calderón

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I used to take a Basque flag to every game, home and away - My friend lives down there in the summer and got the flag.

We used to hold it up pre match when the teams came out and after the game. I remember when we drew 1-1 away at Palace (two penalties) he came over, saw the flag and punched his heart and pointed at us.

I spoke to him on twitter and said I was going to the Barnsley game (last day of the season) , for some reason their fans ran on the pitch - they were already safe. And I don't know why but I went over the barrier and just ran towards Calde carrying the flag with me. He saw me - laughed, said 'Hello Billy' (that's me) - he must have remembered my name from twitter and took off his shirt and gave it to me, i just blurted out 'I love you'!

I've seen him a couple of times after games and at some events, and he still says hello by name to me, he's always very polite and is a proper gent.

10298781_10154085639715301_7669864141894941848_n.jpg

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He took the time to have a photo with me after we won promotion to the Championship but aside from that I'd like to make sure he knows just how much we love him here. His tireless community work, not to mention his unrelenting devotion to the team despite not playing regularly just make him a blue and white legend.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Never met the player, but whether watching him play live or on tv, you do get the impression that he enjoys playing football, especially Brighton, and that says it all for me :)
Also you can see this in the video.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I saw him in North Laine with his little boy just before we played Burton Albion. I spoke to my friend saying,' that's Calde', and he turned round and smiled. We chatted for about 10 minutes, and felt like he had all the time in the world for us.

He does so much for the club off the field, with his lectures in sports psychology, Albion in the Community work, visiting Chestnut House etc, I'm sure we don't know the half of it. He spent his summer holiday doing a triathlon to raise money for Chestnut House, and for that I think he should have an honorary knighthood.

I won a Cult Zero tshirt last year in the REMF raffle. I chose Calde with the words 'He scored with his face'.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I got a high five from him as he walked down the tunnel once. Suffice to say the hand has not been washed since.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don't think he will get another player contract next season, however,I wonder if Nathan Jones not being replaced, has been done to leave a space for the Basque God to fill on the coaching staff. He was at both Brum and Forest, unusual for a player to go to away games, when not involved in the first team,or on the bench, I would have thought

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Please. Don't. Go.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Would love him to stay in some capacity. He took my daughters hand (as mascot :) at the Reading game. The work he does as AITC is amazing

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Love the bloke!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Does 'every player' truly give 100% for the Albion cause, however sporadically they are playing?

Does 'every player' give up hours of their time on a very regular basis, to assist with the club's community programmes?

Does every player go knocking on the charity's door asking what they can help with next, rather than just fulfilling contractual obligations?

Is 'every player' a qualified teacher / sports psychologist who in their own time, delivers lectures to community groups and back-to-work schemes?

Does 'every player' get involved with the National Citizenship Scheme for young people?

Does 'every player' pay very regular visits to the Chestnut Tree House children's hospice?

Does 'every player' run a sponsored triathlon in their summer break to raise money for charity?

Because, if they do, then yes, they truly DO deserve such 'adulation'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Always remember his early impact, scoring at Charlton when we were poor, and seeing that huge grin of delight that he had made a contribution. He's gone from strength to strength.
How perfect would a 5 minute contribution at "Boro be as we secure promotion?
PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
My eldest son,Stuart (23) currently in Mildura,Victoria read and used I/C into and views on modern football let alone sport as a centre piece for his final lecture and inspiration into sports and the position that it can not only benefit yourself.but the wider public.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I often reminisce of the amazing Saturday nights/Sunday mornings that we spent making passionate love to each other, then we would just sit for hours in each others arms, as I picked little bits of paella from his beard. Wonderful memories. Thanks Inigo.

Fxxkin brilliant! If you are there on Sunday avoid my Mrs, she will kill you with jealousy.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Presented the awards at out junior football club last season, was just so brilliant with the kids and gave a really unplanned motivational chat to them to do their best, not just for football, but for life. Always smiling and seems so unflustered by everyone wanting a piece of him. A true ambassador for the club and his country. Selfless - a role model for others to aspire to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here