Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apple airpods

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
And then there's the ridiculously excellent customer service. I dropped my iPhone onto the concrete floor of a bar in New York and cracked the screen. Picking it up, I was able to open the Apple app and book an appointment at the Grand Central Station Apple store at 8am the next morning. Whilst I had breakfast in a lovely nearby New York diner that the Apple chap recommended to me, they sorted my phone out with a new screen, for no charge, and well before 9am I was off to enjoy the day with a phone that was as good as new.

If you'd dropped your Android phone, you'd have picked it up, dusted it off and carried on with your day...

:whistle:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Forgot to say, that is probably my favourite scene in my favourite film. Although the "funny guy" scene or the one where Henry batters the jock idiot both run it close. Or anything with Mory. Damn I'm going to have to watch it again for the 450th time!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Dunno whether to be mightily impressed or scared shitless. [emoji38]

Does it sync up with a VCR?

Asking for a friend. [emoji38]
Scared.

Anyone wearing one of those watches goes straight into the same category as peaky blinders style hat wearers.

As in yes, some nice people wear them. But the vast majority are wankers.

In the case of the cock bonnets, it's usually those who wear them with a skin tight Hugo Boss t-shirt, those jeans that hover around the shin (with turn ups) and espadrilles or similar, no socks obviously.

Top of that outfit with an Apple watch and you've achieved peak ****.

[emoji23]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Scared.

Anyone wearing one of those watches goes straight into the same category as peaky blinders style hat wearers.

As in yes, some nice people wear them. But the vast majority are wankers.

In the case of the cock bonnets, it's usually those who wear them with a skin tight Hugo Boss t-shirt, those jeans that hover around the shin (with turn ups) and espadrilles or similar, no socks obviously.

Top of that outfit with an Apple watch and you've achieved peak ****.

[emoji23]

"I'm not being rude".

There's only one obsessed person on this thread, as has already been pointed out to you.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"I'm not being rude".

There's only one obsessed person on this thread, as has already been pointed out to you.
It was a joke. However I realise that when it comes to Apple, you have no sense of humour. So, again, I apologise.

Oh shit, you've got one of those hats as well haven't you.....

Yes - if you don't have an iphone or similar, then it is pointless getting airpods. But I assume the OPs son is in the Apple ecosystem so would benefit. And actually airpods 'won't be the only thing that works really well for you' you can use literally any bluetooth headphones with an iPhone no problem

I'm sorry. "The Apple ecosystem" . Maybe, as a 53 yr old, this sort of language is not aimed at me but surely that is what the rest of us call "having some Apple stuff"? :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm sorry. "The Apple ecosystem" . Maybe, as a 53 yr old, this sort of language is not aimed at me but surely that is what the rest of us call "having some Apple stuff"? :lolol:

Yes and specific integration / features that tie into the products.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

No, I posted about this somewhere higher up, but it's lots of little things that happen, or you can do, because of using multiple pieces of Apple kit. Most of them are largely inconsequential, but when compounded these little conveniences all add up.

Just a little thing like, if I'm using an app and want/need to enter a chunk of text, instead of using the phone with my fat fingers to enter a load of text, slowly, and making numerous errors I can type the text on my laptop, copy, and then paste on the phone. I don't need to select "paste from my laptop" or anything like that - the phone knows I've just copied some text on my laptop so that is what it pastes on my phone.

It's a tiny convenience, and maybe the same exists with other hardware/software, but I'd bloody miss it if I couldn't do it. And there are loads of little things like this.

I'm 49 BTW.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Nailed it.

At 50 and budgeting none of this is aimed at me.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s detailed list of everything 'talking to each other' is mightily impressive.
There's the possibility my tech (such as it is) could be considerably more 'connected'.
I almost feel sorry for my phone, it's probably screaming "but I also do all of this..."

To Luddite Stat it feels like if you miss a cycle of innovation you're done for.
Sadly I missed the cycle after Blue Ray, CD's and the wheel :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Nailed it.

At 50 and budgeting none of this is aimed at me.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s detailed list of everything 'talking to each other' is mightily impressive.
There's the possibility my tech (such as it is) could be considerably more 'connected'.
I almost feel sorry for my phone, it's probably screaming "but I also do all of this..."

To Luddite Stat it feels like if you miss a cycle of innovation you're done for.
Sadly I missed the cycle after Blue Ray, CD's and the wheel :lolol:

50 is the new 35. :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
50 is the new 35. :thumbsup:
Not with my knees...

...shoulders...

...left wrist (odd one that)

... and so on.

For me the word 'why' is looming large in the 'apple ecosystem' (that really is twatty).

I think I can live without my watch talking to my clock, no matter how impressive that might be.
In fact the clock in the kitchen has been saying 2:30 most of this year despite a replacement battery being in the draw directly below it. :lol:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not with my knees...

...shoulders...

...left wrist (odd one that)

... and so on.

For me the word 'why' is looming large in the 'apple ecosystem' (that really is twatty).

I think I can live without my watch talking to my clock, no matter how impressive that might be.
In fact the clock in the kitchen has been saying 2:30 most of this year despite a replacement battery being in the draw directly below it. :lol:

Yeah but secretly you'd like to have a watch on your wrist that could tell you halfway up Cobb Lane that your heart rate was already in the red zone. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah but secretly you'd like to have a watch on your wrist that could tell you halfway up Cobb Lane that your heart rate was already in the red zone. :lolol:

I don't need a watch to tell me that.

I should imagine at that point the watch face would be flashing 'you're going to die, you're going to die'.

Hardly motivational.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I was given a pair for my birthday 3 years ago, and I've probably used them every day since. In that time, they've not diminished at all in terms of performance or battery life. I've tried quite a few different headphones over the years and these ones are STREETS ahead.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't need a watch to tell me that.

I should imagine at that point the watch face would be flashing 'you're going to die, you're going to die'.

Hardly motivational.

Hard enough getting up it with your legs screaming at you to stop, let alone your watch as well! :mad:

No, I posted about this somewhere higher up, but it's lots of little things that happen, or you can do, because of using multiple pieces of Apple kit. Most of them are largely inconsequential, but when compounded these little conveniences all add up.

Just a little thing like, if I'm using an app and want/need to enter a chunk of text, instead of using the phone with my fat fingers to enter a load of text, slowly, and making numerous errors I can type the text on my laptop, copy, and then paste on the phone. I don't need to select "paste from my laptop" or anything like that - the phone knows I've just copied some text on my laptop so that is what it pastes on my phone.

It's a tiny convenience, and maybe the same exists with other hardware/software, but I'd bloody miss it if I couldn't do it. And there are loads of little things like this.

I'm 49 BTW.

Fair enough, it that is what is important to you, fill ya boots. Personally I don't feel the need to have so much of my life controlled/enhanced (delete as you personal viewpoint allows) to such an extent. I don't spend my life hooked up to technology so the requirement is not there. That and the fact that living in North Norfolk most mobile data gizmos wouldn't work anyway as we still have large parts of the county that can't even get a mobile signal, let alone 4 or 5G :hilton:

I don't use AirPods right now though - I'm using Anker Soundcore because I couldn't justify the expense on another set when my launch day pair started getting a bit flaky.

I strongly disagree with much of what you've said though, but there's little point me wasting much time. You think Apple kit is a con and that people who buy it are stupid. You won't spent a penny (or the many pounds) to discover the utter delight the closely-coupled ecosystem provides. Many of the things are small and quite insignificant by themselves, but it all compounds.

For example I open the lid of my MacBook Pro and it immediately unlocks itself because it knows it's me by virtue of my Watch.

We go to someone's house we've not been to before and their iDevice senses mine and shares the WiFi code with me - no typing in long strings of numbers and letters, and probably getting it wrong.

I can set my phone up on a wall and take a photo using my watch as a viewfinder and shutter release.

I can type something here, copy it, open my phone and paste it there immediately.

And then there's the ridiculously excellent customer service. I dropped my iPhone onto the concrete floor of a bar in New York and cracked the screen. Picking it up, I was able to open the Apple app and book an appointment at the Grand Central Station Apple store at 8am the next morning. Whilst I had breakfast in a lovely nearby New York diner that the Apple chap recommended to me, they sorted my phone out with a new screen, for no charge, and well before 9am I was off to enjoy the day with a phone that was as good as new.

The whole experience is just exceptional and, for me, worth paying more for, and that ignores the fact that the resale value of my kit, when I upgrade, is far higher than anything else out there.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm another 'full kit wanker' when it comes to Apple tech. Both my own stuff and work provided including iMac, MacBook Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, AirPods, iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV... it all just works, works well, works seamlessly and the updates and quality mean they last for years.

I'm not an early adopter that has to buy the latest item whenever it comes out, I only got Watch and AirPods after my wife had hers for over a year and I realised how good they were, only bought an Apple TV during lockdown and having been sceptical because we already had a Smart TV I've actually found that I've used it a lot more than anything else.

The AirPods are great, use them whenever I'm out walking, or around the house when I'm cleaning or washing up or gardening etc. The integration with all the devices means when my phone rings I can see who is calling and answer it on my watch with the sound coming through on the AirPods all without taking my phone out of my pocket, or going to get it off the side etc.

Another thing I found useful with my Watch is that all the alerts I have setup on my phone with apps like FlashScore mean that I only have to glance at my watch to see scores from other games whilst at the Amex, rather that having to keep fishing my phone out of my pocket every time it buzzes etc.

Lots of little things that all add up to a big difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here