Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apple airpods

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I don't use AirPods right now though - I'm using Anker Soundcore because I couldn't justify the expense on another set when my launch day pair started getting a bit flaky.

I strongly disagree with much of what you've said though, but there's little point me wasting much time. You think Apple kit is a con and that people who buy it are stupid. You won't spent a penny (or the many pounds) to discover the utter delight the closely-coupled ecosystem provides. Many of the things are small and quite insignificant by themselves, but it all compounds.

For example I open the lid of my MacBook Pro and it immediately unlocks itself because it knows it's me by virtue of my Watch.

We go to someone's house we've not been to before and their iDevice senses mine and shares the WiFi code with me - no typing in long strings of numbers and letters, and probably getting it wrong.

I can set my phone up on a wall and take a photo using my watch as a viewfinder and shutter release.

I can type something here, copy it, open my phone and paste it there immediately.

And then there's the ridiculously excellent customer service. I dropped my iPhone onto the concrete floor of a bar in New York and cracked the screen. Picking it up, I was able to open the Apple app and book an appointment at the Grand Central Station Apple store at 8am the next morning. Whilst I had breakfast in a lovely nearby New York diner that the Apple chap recommended to me, they sorted my phone out with a new screen, for no charge, and well before 9am I was off to enjoy the day with a phone that was as good as new.

The whole experience is just exceptional and, for me, worth paying more for, and that ignores the fact that the resale value of my kit, when I upgrade, is far higher than anything else out there.
As you say, you're preaching to the inconvertible.

It's not an extra few quid though. My phone is as good or better than the latest iPhone was when it came out.

To get the same spec iPhone I would have had to pay £1100. My phone cost £430.

Add in the fact that Android has always been years ahead of Apple on things like facial recognition, Swype etc etc and I'll stick with what I have thanks. So many things that Apple trot out as new and groundbreaking and everyone else is going "Er, I've had 3 phones already that did that?".

I get that you're immersed in Apple world and you love it. No problem.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Don't think I've used iTunes in five years, possibly a lot longer.

We get it though - you're superior and those who buy Apple kit are stupid and are being conned. You can move on now.
I've touched a nerve. I apologise and yes, I'll leave you to it. X

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Youngest Potting wishes to buy some of these for big sister for Christmas. Both are racking up lots of extra shifts in their "key worker" roles (sounds more impressive than "working in a supermarket"), both are very careful with their money, a trait that has carried on down the Potting generations.

Cheapest Apple ones I can find on line comes out at around £175. A couple of weeks ago whilst on a break in Cornwall I purchased, from the semi legendary Trago Mills, a pair of Bluetooth ear pieces that look and behave in the same way as the Apple ones - the price was £14.99! They might not last as long but at that price I could change them every 6 months for five years and still be ahead1

Is it me or does this seem bonkers, can the Apple lovers convince me ! :)

There are plenty of earphones as good as the Apple ones , just look at the reviews on which . Apple ones are def very good but you are also paying for the Apple branding . If I was young and working in a supermarket and earning around £12 an hour I def would not spend £175 on a pair when you can get as good or very close for under £75

I thought you said they were careful with money !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's not an extra few quid though. My phone is as good or better than the latest iPhone was when it came out.

Add in the fact that Android has always been years ahead of Apple on things like facial recognition, Swype etc etc and I'll stick with what I have thanks. So many things that Apple trot out as new and groundbreaking and everyone else is going "Er, I've had 3 phones already that did that?".

Yawn.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

It is incredible to think other technology companies are capable of innovating and not just following. :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You have to admire the bollocks to call people 'fan boys' of certain technology, when coming onto a forum with a thread about a specific technology and talking about how much better 'other' technology is... like a errrr fanboy

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've touched a nerve. I apologise and yes, I'll leave you to it. X

You've not touched a nerve - you're just being rude - telling people who are happy with their purchases that they are stupid, have wasted the money and been conned, and acting like a 12-year-old involved in a debate about whether the Xbox is better than a Playstation - "the fact that Android has always been years ahead of Apple".

I've made no claims the iPhone is better than any Android phone, either the flagships which are also £1k+ (you don't seem to have an issue with these it seems) nor cheaper ones like your own.

It's not possible to buy a phone that isn't highly capable and can do all we could ever want. Any differences on things like camera quality, screen resolution and battery life are marginal now and, in day-to-day usage, make no difference to most people.

I've also not suggested that anyone should buy an Apple device over any other. I've tried to explain the benefits and convenience that the ecosystem can bring, any or all of which may be available elsewhere. I've touched on the exceptional customer service Apple offer, which I'm not sure can be equalled. But these things come at a price. Some can't, or don't want to, pay that price. That's cool. No one is right, no one is wrong. No one is stupid. No one is being conned.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You've not touched a nerve - you're just being rude - telling people who are happy with their purchases that they are stupid, have wasted the money and been conned, and acting like a 12-year-old involved in a debate about whether the Xbox is better than a Playstation - "the fact that Android has always been years ahead of Apple".

I've made no claims the iPhone is better than any Android phone, either the flagships which are also £1k+ (you don't seem to have an issue with these it seems) nor cheaper ones like your own.

It's not possible to buy a phone that isn't highly capable and can do all we could ever want. Any differences on things like camera quality, screen resolution and battery life are marginal now and, in day-to-day usage, make no difference to most people.

I've also not suggested that anyone should buy an Apple device over any other. I've tried to explain the benefits and convenience that the ecosystem can bring, any or all of which may be available elsewhere. I've touched on the exceptional customer service Apple offer, which I'm not sure can be equalled. But these things come at a price. Some can't, or don't want to, pay that price. That's cool. No one is right, no one is wrong. No one is stupid. No one is being conned.

Calm down. Where was I rude? You're putting words in my mouth and getting all shouty because I dared to mention that Apple products aren't good value for money, in my opinion.

I also said that you're happy so that's fine AND that Apple products are good, but overpriced.

"Being rude" "acting like a 12 year old"???

"ecosystem" used in this context is a really horrible business speak style term btw. But again, if it makes you happy.....

And yes, you've told that story about the cracked screen about 100 times. My son screwed up the charging point on a Samsung tablet a few years ago. I took it to the Samsung shop in town and they fixed it for free. I don't bang on about it though.

I clearly have touched a nerve as you are Apple obsessed and take it as a personal affront if anyone questions that obsession. It seems to be the only company that has such devotion from it's customers. Which is interesting.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Calm down. Where was I rude? You're putting words in my mouth and getting all shouty because I dared to mention that Apple products aren't good value for money, in my opinion.

I also said that you're happy so that's fine AND that Apple products are good, but overpriced.

"Being rude" "acting like a 12 year old"???

"ecosystem" used in this context is a really horrible business speak style term btw. But again, if it makes you happy.....

And yes, you've told that story about the cracked screen about 100 times. My son screwed up the charging point on a Samsung tablet a few years ago. I took it to the Samsung shop in town and they fixed it for free. I don't bang on about it though.

I clearly have touched a nerve as you are Apple obsessed and take it as a personal affront if anyone questions that obsession. It seems to be the only company that has such devotion from it's customers. Which is interesting.

You seem as much obsessed with being against Apple as those that are for it.? FFS. lol.*

It's just a consumer choice. You're not massively enlightened because you know there are better alternatives to Apple. Apple airpods are expensive, but cheaper than Bose. :shrug:

The other thing I find odd is why you think people who might buy Apple also can't have a high regard for Google, Samsung and other technology brands on offer. I've got a lot of Apple stuff, but subscribe to Google Drive rather than iCloud because I prefer that. I may go Android phone next if I use the Google suite even more. I have an LG tv, use Microsoft OneDrive to good effect as well for other stuff.

It's all good these tech companies pushing each other right? I can't say I've ever been bothered by someone paying over the odds for Bose kit, but it does seem Apple attracts as much resentment as a brand as it does fans of it.

*that's poking fun at your earlier post.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You seem as much obsessed with being against Apple as those that are for it.? FFS. lol.*

It's just a consumer choice. You're not massively enlightened because you know there are better alternatives to Apple. Apple airpods are expensive, but cheaper than Bose. :shrug:

The other thing I find odd is why you think people who might buy Apple also can't have a high regard for Google, Samsung and other technology brands on offer. I've got a lot of Apple stuff, but subscribe to Google Drive rather than iCloud because I prefer that. I may go Android phone next if I use the Google suite even more. I have an LG tv, use Microsoft OneDrive to good effect as well for other stuff.

It's all good these tech companies pushing each other right? I can't say I've ever been bothered by someone paying over the odds for Bose kit, but it does seem Apple attracts as much resentment as a brand as it does fans of it.

*that's poking fun at your earlier post.
I'm really not that bothered. But if someone starts calling me rude and childish when I haven't been then I feel the need to point that out. That's all.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There will not be any XBox deals at all this Christmas - they're in extremely limited supply, probably until next Spring.

I’m talking XBox one - as in not the new one! They’ve already come down £20 but last year they had the Xbox S All digital at £99 but they’ve stopped doing that one now. Hoping an XBox one s will come down to £150 in Black Friday which isn’t unrealistic.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I’m talking XBox one - as in not the new one! They’ve already come down £20 but last year they had the Xbox S All digital at £99 but they’ve stopped doing that one now. Hoping an XBox one s will come down to £150 in Black Friday which isn’t unrealistic.
I should hope so too, given I paid £160 for a 1TB One S with Forza Horizon 4 - 2 years ago.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I should hope so too, given I paid £160 for a 1TB One S with Forza Horizon 4 - 2 years ago.

Yeh that’s the console I want just so daughter can play a couple of download games. But they’ve been sitting at £250 for a while - strange one!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't use AirPods right now though - I'm using Anker Soundcore because I couldn't justify the expense on another set when my launch day pair started getting a bit flaky.

I strongly disagree with much of what you've said though, but there's little point me wasting much time. You think Apple kit is a con and that people who buy it are stupid. You won't spent a penny (or the many pounds) to discover the utter delight the closely-coupled ecosystem provides. Many of the things are small and quite insignificant by themselves, but it all compounds.

For example I open the lid of my MacBook Pro and it immediately unlocks itself because it knows it's me by virtue of my Watch.

We go to someone's house we've not been to before and their iDevice senses mine and shares the WiFi code with me - no typing in long strings of numbers and letters, and probably getting it wrong.

I can set my phone up on a wall and take a photo using my watch as a viewfinder and shutter release.

I can type something here, copy it, open my phone and paste it there immediately.

And then there's the ridiculously excellent customer service. I dropped my iPhone onto the concrete floor of a bar in New York and cracked the screen. Picking it up, I was able to open the Apple app and book an appointment at the Grand Central Station Apple store at 8am the next morning. Whilst I had breakfast in a lovely nearby New York diner that the Apple chap recommended to me, they sorted my phone out with a new screen, for no charge, and well before 9am I was off to enjoy the day with a phone that was as good as new.

The whole experience is just exceptional and, for me, worth paying more for, and that ignores the fact that the resale value of my kit, when I upgrade, is far higher than anything else out there.

Dunno whether to be mightily impressed or scared shitless. :lol:

Does it sync up with a VCR?

Asking for a friend. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here