Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applause for away fans

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Bollocks to the applause, whatever happened to that old chant, "Come in a taxi... did you come in a taxi?"

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Many have travelled a long way, good of them to make it.

It's the decent thing to do, i.e. effectively saying "thanks for coming".

Obviously we don't extend the same pleasantries towards certain teams :D
The decent thing to do would be to kick there heads in on the way back to the train station. :lolol:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The overall attendance as well as the away attendance is announced at the same time. I'm sure an awful lot of those clapping are clapping the home/overall attendance.

Absolutely. I'm mostly applauding the arithmetical creativity that goes into claiming that over 27,000 are present in a ground that holds 30,000 when around a fifth of the seats are empty.

Feb 14, 2010
Absolutely. I'm mostly applauding the arithmetical creativity that goes into claiming that over 27,000 are present in a ground that holds 30,000 when around a fifth of the seats are empty.

Very odd post. Brighton sell 27000 tickets for the game, then they have 27000 paying punters. To record otherwise might er make the Revenue want to know why! Its also how every club does it, so this little whine is very wide of the mark.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
The claps come from the East Stand, the boos from the North so depending on your position, your experience of boos/claps differs. I sometimes clap, I sometimes boo. Depends what mood I'm in.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
I remember 2 seasons ago against watford (2-2) the attendance was announced a bunch if fans clapped then a bunch belted out "is that all you bring away!!" Had a laugh at the time.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Very odd post. Brighton sell 27000 tickets for the game, then they have 27000 paying punters. To record otherwise might er make the Revenue want to know why! Its also how every club does it, so this little whine is very wide of the mark.

Incredible post. To suggest that the club can not announce the real attendance due to tax reasons demonstrates either a shocking level of faith in the club or just simple stupidity.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Incredible post. To suggest that the club can not announce the real attendance due to tax reasons demonstrates either a shocking level of faith in the club or just simple stupidity.

It makes no sense, other than it's what all other clubs in the top two divisions do, perhaps there is some reason that all clubs do it, maybe an email off to mr Barber might clarify.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The claps come from the East Stand, the boos from the North so depending on your position, your experience of boos/claps differs. I sometimes clap, I sometimes boo. Depends what mood I'm in.

Plenty of people booing Leicester in the east I can assure you. More generous reaction to Huddersfield though.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It makes no sense, other than it's what all other clubs in the top two divisions do, perhaps there is some reason that all clubs do it, maybe an email off to mr Barber might clarify.

Because it looks better to say you had 27000 through the gate than 22000. That's all it comes down to. Barber will spout some spiel about being a truer representation of our earnings from the match - which is true. But no one cares how many tickets we gave away, all anyone cares about is how many bums on seats.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Because it looks better to say you had 27000 through the gate than 22000. That's all it comes down to. Barber will spout some spiel about being a truer representation of our earnings from the match - which is true. But no one cares how many tickets we gave away, all anyone cares about is how many bums on seats.

Both figures must be available given modern technology. I'd like to see clubs forced to declare both. The argument "everyone else does it" always strikes me as odd. If everyone went for trap two by default at sexytime we'd die out as a species.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I'd like to see clubs forced to declare both.

Why would the club or in fact any organisation, put information out there that makes them look bad...why would or should they publish negative spin that could affect their marketability going forward......its not a lie...its a fact that 27k tickets were sold and a fact also that the inland revenue will tax the club on that figure, not just on those seats that end up having bums on them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why would the club or in fact any organisation, put information out there that makes them look bad...why would or should they publish negative spin that could affect their marketability going forward......its not a lie...its a fact that 27k tickets were sold and a fact also that the inland revenue will tax the club on that figure, not just on those seats that end up having bums on them.

Why would it make them look bad? If the two were close to each other it would stop speculation about what the bums on seats might be. If there was a vast difference it would give the club leverage against people who block book seats and don't turn up. I'm interested in getting as many people as possible actually at the game and making some noise to help the team.

Besides I'm a pedant and what we announce is the ticket sales, not the attendance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here