Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applause for away fans

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Because we want the ground to be an intimidating place for opposing teams and players to come?

With you on that. Getting large swathes of the ground making a loud noise for sustained periods is tough but not surprising. Clap the away fans, do your nonsense Mexican waves but first and foremost - get behind the team.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I haven't been to many away games recently but when the attendance figure is announced for the away fans do the home supporters applaud

We don't normally hear the figure at away games because we're singing "There's no-one there , there's no-one there" :lol:

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The overall attendance as well as the away attendance is announced at the same time. I'm sure an awful lot of those clapping are clapping the home/overall attendance.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I think it is out of thanks for the support all the other 91 clubs (not to mention other non-league) showed the Albion when it was needed. Let's not forget the Valentine's Day flower show in Whitehall, letters, marches, Fans United. We had a lot of support from other clubs, surely the least our fans can do is applaud the opposing fans for making the effort to come. Fair enough when Ipswich (remember that banner) or Palace got a boo, but the other clubs, I love the fact Albion fans clap them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The reason is (was) to show respect to all the fans of clubs all over the country that supported us at a time when we needed it, when they helped out by signing petitions, protesting alongside us, canvassing those who would have seen us disappear. Then again, there's not that many of us who'd understand that.

Anyway, that's the reason.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's bloody expensive going away these days. I applaud the away fans if they seem a decent bunch. I'm a football fan before I'm a Brighton fan

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I think it is out of thanks for the support all the other 91 clubs (not to mention other non-league) showed the Albion when it was needed. Let's not forget the Valentine's Day flower show in Whitehall, letters, marches, Fans United. We had a lot of support from other clubs, surely the least our fans can do is applaud the opposing fans for making the effort to come. Fair enough when Ipswich (remember that banner) or Palace got a boo, but the other clubs, I love the fact Albion fans clap them.

The reason is (was) to show respect to all the fans of clubs all over the country that supported us at a time when we needed it, when they helped out by signing petitions, protesting alongside us, canvassing those who would have seen us disappear. Then again, there's not that many of us who'd understand that.

Anyway, that's the reason.

Both of these

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Looks like manners are dead. Seriously, before long it will become like a pantomime, with the childish boos ringing out as soon as the away attendance is announced. The ESU appeared to mostly clap, the Hudds fans were in better voice than the home supporters at times last weekend.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We're thanking them for giving us their money. And because we're better than the people who boo us at their grounds.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its great. The Liverpool fans often clap their opposition and its always appreciated and commented on. I'm glad we do something similar, any old shower of shite club can boo but it takes a bit of class to give them a bit of appreciation.

I'm all for it. Classy on the field and off of it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've never applauded away fans. Why would I ? Because they are here to support their team.

Don't get it but each to their own I suppose.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
If it's a lower-league team in the cup and they've brought a decent number, I'll give them a light clap.
If it's a Championship-side then I'll boo them if we're losing or their team has been dirty, otherwise I'll just sit there and do nothing, maybe a few sympathetic claps if we're tonking them.
If it's a Premier League side then balls to them, they're getting the boo treatment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here