Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Appealing a rail penalty fare

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
So do I and the key card would be great if it wasn't for the complete botch job when it comes to loading the ticket. Purchasing a ticket is great but my local station has 2 terminals which are regularly broken when ever it rains (who'd expect them to be weather proof?). So then I have a ticket but it's not on the card, the conductor does not have the ability to load tickets and I can't load it elsewhere as it can only be loaded at one location. So I end up phoning customer services to have it changed to a location that does work and I wait of 24+ hours Not a smooth process for the 21st century.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My key card is at the back of a drawer somewhere. I seemed to spend more time on the phone to customer services so stopped using it.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Which is totally within their jurisdiction. The OP admits to being ‘all over the place’ for a few weeks and buying tickets on an ad hoc basis. At the booth/machine, on the train (could get a penalty there) or at the destination (again at risk of a penalty). So your one off is nothing like his ongoing reluctance to purchase a valid ticket for his journey now is it?

Seems a wee bit harsh, the OP says he has always paid, he’s not evading payment, just not playing the system quite the way it should be...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Was just about to download the Northern app for android but it has mostly 1* reviews and basically doesn't work so so much for that idea.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Which is totally within their jurisdiction. The OP admits to being ‘all over the place’ for a few weeks and buying tickets on an ad hoc basis. At the booth/machine, on the train (could get a penalty there) or at the destination (again at risk of a penalty). So your one off is nothing like his ongoing reluctance to purchase a valid ticket for his journey now is it?

Maybe I didn't explain myself that well. Monday I was in Manchester (I went by car) Friday I was in Leeds ( I went by train and bought my ticket from the machine) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I was in birmingham/London and Birmingham again (my company booked me tickets in advance). For the advance bookings I had about 25 tickets as it's considerably cheaper to book singles to Sheffield then derby then Birmingham rather than a return from Leeds (another bloody stupid thing about the railways).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Expect the railway morons to be on here in a bit with their 'can't do' attitude.

About time that industry got up with the times when it comes to selling tickets.

And keeping smelly freeloaders out of first class.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe I didn't explain myself that well. Monday I was in Manchester (I went by car) Friday I was in Leeds ( I went by train and bought my ticket from the machine) Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I was in birmingham/London and Birmingham again (my company booked me tickets in advance). For the advance bookings I had about 25 tickets as it's considerably cheaper to book singles to Sheffield then derby then Birmingham rather than a return from Leeds (another bloody stupid thing about the railways).

If you have broken the letter of their law they will do you. If they can generate a heartwarming headline out of it (are you pregnant, for example, or a bit doolally?) they may accomodate in return for a photo op. Useless money grubbing shitweasels, that they are.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As a daily commuter, I regularly see tickets purchased on trains. If you have to buy a ticket before you get on by law, why does the guard carry a ticket machine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Correct, don't want riff-raff

Don't want to be unable to sit because 10 gits have chosen to sit in first class without a valid ticket. As they do. Every day. And the guard just wanders past smiling. I can't run the risk of standing owing to my back. And I'm 60 FFS. So I pay extra (discounted but only if I travel after 9). The guards don't enforce because they have no back up if a nobber says eff off. The company (French rail SE) don't care. What a load of old bollocks.

Today the two builders occuping seats near me (one next to me) spent the whole journey watching for the guard, drinking Bud (FFS) and when we got to Fav one of them sparked up on the platform while waiting for the connection. The scum. Still, he failed to manspread on me, out of deference, good boy. The worst of these shitters are the women who keep elbowing me as they fidget with their handbags and faff with their make up. In big coats. Just **** the ****ing **** off, for ****ing ****'s sake. :rant:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a daily commuter, I regularly see tickets purchased on trains. If you have to buy a ticket before you get on by law, why does the guard carry a ticket machine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two tier strategy. Ordinary guards with machines. Enfocers with penalties. Same punter, different outcome. Because they can. Like the absurd parking fees in hospitals. We are fast becoming a tin pot third world shit hole.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It costs more to get on a sodding train than a sodding flight. That’s privatisation. Thanks Thatcher you ****ing witch.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It costs more to get on a sodding train than a sodding flight. That’s privatisation. Thanks Thatcher you ****ing witch.

airline 100% private. rail part private, part nationalised. you'll have to explain how the cost is related to privatisation. maybe air is simply cheaper?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just a reminder that all railway franchises are THE enemy. Evade, cheat, abuse as much as you can and hopefully you may get close to being on a par with how much they do the same to you. May...

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
The public transport here is great. I have a card which I just tap on when I start my journey and tap off when I finish. No need to worry about pre-booking tickets to a certain destination. The current charge is $4.40 for 2 hours (or $2.20 for concessions) Maximum of $8.80/$4.40 per day. Auto top-up set so no worries about not having enough credit on the card. This applies to trains and buses. Over 60s travel free all weekend. Trains run right through the night on Fridays and Saturdays (only 1 an hour between midnight and 6.00 am) Trains are clean and are over 90% run on time. One time the driver apologised as the train was running 7 minutes late! Stations in the suburbs have massive free car parks.

Since I’ve been here they have built a sky rail on our line so there have been rail replacement buses at times. Dozens of buses and even more dozens of staff directing you to the correct bus!!

The only time I had a real issue getting home it was 40° and the lines do seem to have problems in severe heat. Thank goodness for aircon.

Oh, and $8.80 equates to around £5:thumbsup:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Two tier strategy. Ordinary guards with machines. Enfocers with penalties. Same punter, different outcome. Because they can. Like the absurd parking fees in hospitals. We are fast becoming a tin pot third world shit hole.

In my local hospital the staff have to pay, at a very generous 20% discount from the usual exorbitant peasant prices. Scurrilous.

Bet that’s one of Rhys-Mog’s ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
airline 100% private. rail part private, part nationalised. you'll have to explain how the cost is related to privatisation. maybe air is simply cheaper?

Do you really need me to explain how an aeroplane differs from a train? OK..I’ll start with basics.

A train runs on a track. The track was built by a nationalised railway (usually) but this was sold for pence in the pound to some rich people who now run a train on it.

Because the track is VERY expensive to build and requires annoying fripperies like planning permission and compulsory land purchases to erec (how many billions is HS2 running to just now?) it is prohibitively expensive for competitors to challenge the incumbents by building and running cheaper trains...hey presto...the cost to use it is spiralling because the train operators have a captive audience.

An aeroplane is different. You don’t need a hugely expensive “sky track”to get from A to B so, many providers have to do this thing called “compete” often with cost being a Key differentiator therefore costs are lower for passengers. Once you see this dynamic you’ll understand. Trains are cleaner than planes, they run into city centres and are convenient. Knowing this the operators have chosen to anally rape their passengers because...they can.

Other nations run these services as a key infrastructure requirement. They subsidise the fares and encourage passengers out of the cars which are poisoning the environment and clogging our roads.

The same government that sold off this vital plank of the economy to profiteers and chancers is now busily punishing the car drivers,it forced off the trains in the first place, with levies on fuel, congestion paid carriageways and vehicle tax to try and force the very citizens it robbed of the family jewels to pay for that folly over and over again. We should be rewarding rail users for choosing this service over cars and planes. Not screwing them.

You have not been charged for this summary.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
The public transport here is great. I have a card which I just tap on when I start my journey and tap off when I finish. No need to worry about pre-booking tickets to a certain destination. The current charge is $4.40 for 2 hours (or $2.20 for concessions) Maximum of $8.80/$4.40 per day. Auto top-up set so no worries about not having enough credit on the card. This applies to trains and buses. Over 60s travel free all weekend. Trains run right through the night on Fridays and Saturdays (only 1 an hour between midnight and 6.00 am) Trains are clean and are over 90% run on time. One time the driver apologised as the train was running 7 minutes late! Stations in the suburbs have massive free car parks.

Since I’ve been here they have built a sky rail on our line so there have been rail replacement buses at times. Dozens of buses and even more dozens of staff directing you to the correct bus!!

The only time I had a real issue getting home it was 40° and the lines do seem to have problems in severe heat. Thank goodness for aircon.

Oh, and $8.80 equates to around £5:thumbsup:

You’ve just settled my lesson to Beothelm regarding railways. Australia has an almost 100% state owned and operated railway network.

Thanks cobber.:wave::wave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here