Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Appealing a rail penalty fare

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It is similar to Notters opening post. He went to the booth to pay (as did we) but they handed him over to the revenue penalty taker.

Which is totally within their jurisdiction. The OP admits to being ‘all over the place’ for a few weeks and buying tickets on an ad hoc basis. At the booth/machine, on the train (could get a penalty there) or at the destination (again at risk of a penalty). So your one off is nothing like his ongoing reluctance to purchase a valid ticket for his journey now is it?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
So do I and the key card would be great if it wasn't for the complete botch job when it comes to loading the ticket. Purchasing a ticket is great but my local station has 2 terminals which are regularly broken when ever it rains (who'd expect them to be weather proof?). So then I have a ticket but it's not on the card, the conductor does not have the ability to load tickets and I can't load it elsewhere as it can only be loaded at one location. So I end up phoning customer services to have it changed to a location that does work and I wait of 24+ hours Not a smooth process for the 21st century.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I activate it at the barrier, tap it on and go. That may be why it doesnt always work but that's thier problem.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Offer less seats, more standing cattle capacity, charge the same if not more, make ever larger profits without re-investing properly. A ploy. For shareholders benefit.

so it would be better to have less capacity? im not sure how much less seated capacity they have, no fan of the seats seem to be as many rows as before, dropping the horrid 3/2 of the old Thameslink cattle class, so expect they have lost some numbers. maybe we'd rather have lower capacity, higher fares (to keep people off the rail). or is it just the owner/operator status that is objectionable?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
About 7 or 8 years ago I got a London Midland train from Bletchley in the morning going into Euston, but needed to go one stop further on my way back, to Milton Keynes. The conductor came round, I showed him my ticket back to Bletchley and asked if I needed to buy another ticket to get off at MK, he said it'd be fine as it was only one stop and the guys on the barriers would let me through.

Of course, I got to the barrier at Milton Keynes and showed my ticket to the guy, who starts getting properly aggressive, accusing me of being a liar and all of this before writing up a penalty fare (not sure on the exact amount but it was a pretty big fine, £50 or thereabouts). He took my details, went on the phone and said he was 'checking them with the police' before writing them down- I was pretty sure this was bullshit but I was a naive 19-year-old, so didn't want to chance it.

Argument ensues after I lob the fine in the bin and he follows me out the station shouting abuse. It was all a bit ridiculous.

Got a letter with the fine through in the post, he only went and misspelled my name... I wrote to them saying nobody with that name lived at the address, they apologised and I never heard from them again :banana:

Not really helpful I know, but there you go.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Here we go, another expected response....

The need to do upgrade works like this happens when you’re creaming BILLIONS in revenues without re-investing in infrastructure for the last 50 years...

It’s a service industry and frankly the service to the consumer is dog shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're a card aren't you. First moaning that they don't invest in infrastructure and now moaning that they haven't for 50 years when in fact they have been for a number of years. Think they re-evaluated the network following the crash at, I think, Hatfield.

What is your solution then. Don't tell me, you think they should hike the prices so oiks can't afford train travel. Bring back the old buffet cars with freshly made cheese on toast.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
You're a card aren't you. First moaning that they don't invest in infrastructure and now moaning that they haven't for 50 years when in fact they have been for a number of years. Think they re-evaluated the network following the crash at, I think, Hatfield.

What is your solution then. Don't tell me, you think they should hike the prices so oiks can't afford train travel. Bring back the old buffet cars with freshly made cheese on toast.

Ha ha. Brilliant.

No I’m an advocate of re-nationalisation actually. Plenty of other nations around the world seem to manage balancing infrastructure expenditure, modernisation, capacity, timekeeping capabilities and technological solutions at reasonable cost to the end user.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I have a Southern "Key" card and can buy tickets via my phone. At least half the time the conductor's machine and barriers don't read it properly.

Back to the OP, I appealed against a ticket issued by London Underground in 2000; A colleague and I had to go from Colindale to Islington and we got off the real train to get on the underground, cannot remember where but you could go from the overground platform to the underground without going through a barrier so when we got to the other end we went to the "fares to pay" window where the most miserable c..t I have ever met refused to do anything but issue us a £10 penalty, payable immediately with the added encouragement of a transport copper standing next to us.
An appeal to the head office fell on deaf ears.
Sounds like he might be guesting on this thread

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Sweden.

This is all done.... would you believe it... using.. *gasps* an APP.

Wouldn't happen in Germany

This is all done.... would you believe it... using.. *gasps* an APP

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Expect the railway morons to be on here in a bit with their 'can't do' attitude.

About time that industry got up with the times when it comes to selling tickets.

Bearing in mind the railway closed here in 1931 I am not up to speed on this (get it?)
Don't modern trains have Wi Fi? Surely you can buy your ticket online and show an app in this century?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If there are facilities to buy a ticket before you board , you said there was a machine then you don't have a leg to stand on. Pay the penalty fare before it escalates into a summons and it will do and make sure you buy a ticket before you board in future

Funnily enough, this situation has just been on tv, in Dom on the spot.
This is right. A ticket must be bought before you get on the train.

How do you go on when the ticket machine isn't working?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If there are facilities to buy a ticket before you board , you said there was a machine then you don't have a leg to stand on. Pay the penalty fare before it escalates into a summons and it will do and make sure you buy a ticket before you board in future

It is pretty mad that you have to choose between missing your train and paying a fine because there were too many human beings in front of you in a queue for a computer which prints out paper tickets. It's 2019....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ha ha. Brilliant.

No I’m an advocate of re-nationalisation actually. Plenty of other nations around the world seem to manage balancing infrastructure expenditure, modernisation, capacity, timekeeping capabilities and technological solutions at reasonable cost to the end user.

I’m not averse to rail renationalisation, so this is hopefully an apolitical post. Excluding HS2, the government are investing records sums in the railways per annum of a net £4.2B in grants and £5.9B in loans.

Rail users used to hate British Rail and industrial disputes. I worked with people who commuted in the 70’s and 80’s, who really despised the striking staff.

It’s the age old problem of a complicated, illogical network, created almost 200 years ago and boxed in by millions of dwellings. Other countries had a blank sheet after being bombed to bits, with Marshall Plan money, and/or they industrialised decades later. I saw a documentary about French TGV lines, where they’ll think nothing of buying up stunning untouched countryside cheaply and bulldozing through forests etc in quick time. Everything in the UK is done far more slowly, with public enquiries, high land values = costly compensation, with an army of expensive experts making a killing on new infrastructure.

British Rail in its second life will face all those same costs, barriers, nimbies, delays, enquiries, and the same chaotic network boxed in by homes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here