Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 'Anywhere but here' Albion moments

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wimbledon away when we were having a lovely time in the Young’s pub by the station (Alexandria?) in the dry and warm as it was monsoonal outside. In the open at Plough Lane where the ball was launched into the air at every opportunity as the pitch disappeared below the water table. We were soaked. Alan Cork scored the only goal for the Dons. Nightmare.

Good thread.

There was another game at Plough Lane in the mid to late 80s that was 0-0. Bloody freezing on that open terrace and only two cubicles in the toilet and no urinals. Probably the worst ground I have ever seen us play in.

Edit; just remembered Fratton Park. Sorry Wimbledon !

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
The 5-1 hammering down at Plymouth in January 2005 was particularly depressing. It was a terrible drive down there, made it with about 15 mins to spare and we were 3-1 down within 20 mins. Think we had the fella Shaaban on loan from Arsenal in goal. My memory had him sent off early, but the stats say it was Carpenter on 68 mins, so what do I know.

The other one that sticks in my head was the 0-0 up at Carlisle in 2001. Dreadful match, nothing happened until the last minute when Lee Steele was put through one on one with their goalie and I thought, this is it, this'll make the whole trip worth it, and he spoons it.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Fulham in the FA cup, away then home in the dark days. ****ing freezing and 0-0- after a reply and extra time. Then so misty we couldn't see the penalties from the south stand.

My memory says we lost but who the **** knows. It was freezing though

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Oldham away - 1990. Week before Christmas , minus temperatures , lost 6-1 on that plastic pitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Brentford away - 3-0 down and I had to drive to Bristol so left early. Got back to find my card had been broken into with a smashed rear window, Had to drive back home round M25 with a gale force wind coming through the back. Only found out the next day it ended 4-0.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
#twats 5 Albion 1 1984!

And weren't we 1 nil up at half time? I was there too.

The only time I've left a game early was away at Brentford, 4 nil down just after half time. It was so good I did it twice.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oldham away - 1990. Week before Christmas , minus temperatures , lost 6-1 on that plastic pitch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one. Absolutely chuffing freezing. Andy Ritchie hatrick as well IIRC. To top it off, on the way home the alternator went on my mates clapped out Fiat Uno we drove up there in.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Memory has gone of all the disappointments of the 70's. That 0:0 draw at Saints v Spurs whilst we played Blackpool was a real heartache though.

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
Coach journey Selhurst 1978. Among our fellow travellers was a belligerent group of primitive hunter gatherers.The headman of this collective thought it would be fun to walk down the length of the coach and ask each individual loudly which part of Brighton they were from.When it was my turn to join in the fun I replied ‘Westdene,’
“Ooooooh Westdeeeeeene” responded my new best friend.To cleanse his mouth he let out the battle cry “Come on you Whitehawkers.” When we stopped for a comfort break the younger elements of the tribe trashed the toilets.Headman started to admonish the scamps but then dissolved into laughter.
The match ended 0-0. One of the elders had been arrested so headman told the driver which police station he had to drive to.
We sat outside for ages while a deputation went in to liberate this Herbert. Hey ho.

The Optimist

NSC Patreon
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Lincoln away in the FA Cup. Late 90s I think. We were awful and it was freezing.

Edit: just checked and it was November 2003.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Brighton 0 Doncaster 0 at Priestfield. “Fans United 2”. The worst professional football match ever played.

Michael Mahoney-Johnson’s infamous 45 minutes.

It is no exaggeration to say it was probably two of the worst professional football teams to ever play in the football league. No shots - on target or otherwise.

Finished 23rd and 24th respectively.

I remember coming away from the game feeling genuinely depressed.
Yes, I was there - and I couldn't face going back to Gillingham again after that.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Definitely the 5-0 defeat at Selhurst, i was enjoying myself until the match started. Closely followed by the FA Cup 3-0 defeat at Stoke that has been mentioned a few times already on this thread.
I went to the Fans United match at Priestfield against Doncaster, for me this wasn’t anywhere near as bad as the above, the match was rubbish but it was not a bad day out and nice too see a few thousand more at the ground.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Geting to Spotland to discover it had been abandoned due to weather (snow), didn't listen to the radio due to latest ELP cassette! Getting to Ewood Park snowed off as I drove into the car park, didn't even stop the car drove round the car park and away!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The most miserable I ever felt at an Albion game was when we put 4 past Millwall at Withdean. Thought I was more or less immune to the shitty Withdean micro-climate, but apparently not. My GOD the rain was of biblical proportions. Spent half-time sheltering in a turnstile entrance in the South Stand like it was a sentry box or something. Uttered completely inppropriate profanities at the little kids splashing in the puddles outside me sentry box. Stuck the game out to the end but was long past caring about the result, just wanted the damn thing to end. Four of us Albion fans and a Millwall husband and wife couple retired to the Brewery Tap. We were the only customers. Clothing was draped over radiators. Rounds were reciprocated. All was going good. Then their swivel-eyed Begbie-lookalike mate turned up looking for action. We didn't hang around for long after that...

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
And weren't we 1 nil up at half time? I was there too.

The only time I've left a game early was away at Brentford, 4 nil down just after half time. It was so good I did it twice.

Yep 1 nil up at halftime. Poured with rain as well. You were lucky to leave early as we was held in and they kept playing the radio commentary of the goals over the tannoy.
#twats

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Brighton 2 Warboys and Bannister 8.

Still got the programme ..................................

I seem to remember enjoying that game! As opposed to the defeat at Scunthorpe in 1997.

boik

Wrexham 0-0 Brighton. 1978 opener. So optimistic after just missing out the previous season. Nightmare journey, tediously boring match. Scorching hot with no shade. My sister feinted in the heat and I was actually glad to have to take her to St John ambulance and avoid watching the match. Long, long journey home with all optimism extinguished.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Wrexham 0-0 Brighton. 1978 opener. So optimistic after just missing out the previous season. Nightmare journey, tediously boring match. Scorching hot with no shade. My sister feinted in the heat and I was actually glad to have to take her to St John ambulance and avoid watching the match. Long, long journey home with all optimism extinguished.

I was at that one.
As you say, a boring game in scorching heat, but I have been at much worse games involving the Albion.
For example, away to Millwall in November 1972 at the old Den.
A 3-0 defeat with Brighton barely venturing into the Millwall half.
I was stood on the terraces on my own, and didn’t dare leave early in case I outed myself as a Brighton fan.
At the end I just shuffled out among a group of older Millwall fans.Never been so glad to get on a train and away from that God-forsaken dump.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here