Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone trying to travel east from wothing by train

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
I was on the train the person went under (06:22 @ Shoreham to London Bridge) - wasn't nice. Not the first time for me, the third train I've been on that's hit someone, but the first jumper as the other two were accidents. Just got home after travelling 2 miles in 3 hours. A pain for me, but worse for the person who felt the need to do it.

I gave up when we got kicked off at Portslade. Got the coach back to Shoreham as instructed and then saw trains overtaking us! Job interview rearranged for tomorrow so will be on same train tomorrow. "Working" from home now...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
True though, the act of using a train does traumatize the rail staff sometimes to the point that they have been known to give up the job after years of service.
But - what if you knew the person who has died?

giving it a more positive slant, the railway staff and police attending get a trauma payment by way of a bonus in their pay packet depending on how gory the injuries are - seriously!

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
I saw one at Fishersgate station a few years ago. He just got up from the bench as the fast train came through and went over the edge in front of it. No way the train could stop. Truly horrific! The driver got out, shaking like a leaf and threw up. Horrible for everyone involved.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Clearly it is distressing for the driver, I know todays guy was pretty shaken up, according to the guard - but as the frequency of these events are unfortunately quite high, I think in practical terms, early retirement doesn't sound likely, but with their unions, who knows.

Having said that I may just have been remembering the plot of a film!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_and_Out

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Thats 2 in about 2/3 weeks at Southwick. Not nice.

I went to Southwick Station around 9.30am to buy a ticket for travel tomorrow and there was a very distraught female in 20's by the taxi rank. Went to buy ticket from the ticket office and on way back to road another female asked if there were trains running. When I said there was a fatality and she should enquire at office - in a loud voice she said 'Not again'. I politely pointed out that there maybe somebody connected to the death within earshot. She wasn't impressed.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I gave up when we got kicked off at Portslade. Got the coach back to Shoreham as instructed and then saw trains overtaking us! Job interview rearranged for tomorrow so will be on same train tomorrow. "Working" from home now...

I too got off at portslade, as we all did, I crossed straight over the line to get back to Shoreham. They were directing us to the buses, but the Southampton train looked to me like it was still running, so I waited for it, and it did, and yes, we beat the replacement coach back to Shoreham.

I didn't really understand the hold up after the elec was switched back on. We were sat there for almost 2 hours with it switched off, and I assumed, once it was back on, and our train taken out of service, that the backlog would flow though, both ways, quickly after that, but the offloadees were still standing on the East bound Portslade station platform half an hour after we were turfed off.

giving it a more positive slant, the railway staff and police attending get a trauma payment by way of a bonus in their pay packet depending on how gory the injuries are - seriously!

I don't think they could pay me enough.

I had a friend whose father was killed in a nasty industrial accident where I worked, and several people rushed out to look at the aftermath.
No way would I want that in my memory banks - and I didn't go to look.

Having said that, if a person got hurt at a football match or an accident where I am there and able to help out, I would not shrug away from a personal responsibility to take action.

Where the life has already been lost though, it's not a job I'd want to accept.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here