Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone trying to travel east from wothing by train

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
Been a jumper at southwick. I've not moved for an hour and emergency services not long arrived, so could be a while.

That's screwed my job interview in. London!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quickly making arrangements to get the kids to school.........

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Very sad but still bloody annoying.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was on the train the person went under (06:22 @ Shoreham to London Bridge) - wasn't nice. Not the first time for me, the third train I've been on that's hit someone, but the first jumper as the other two were accidents. Just got home after travelling 2 miles in 3 hours. A pain for me, but worse for the person who felt the need to do it.

Selfish act. Good riddens

Careful, you can get banned for stuff like that!
Granted, when I once brought up an objection it was because I thought from the preceding statements that the commit-er was taking the rest of the train with him.

True though, the act of using a train does traumatize the rail staff sometimes to the point that they have been known to give up the job after years of service.
But - what if you knew the person who has died?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was on the train the person went under (06:22 @ Shoreham to London Bridge) - wasn't nice. Not the first time for me, the third train I've been on that's hit someone, but the first jumper as the other two were accidents. Just got home after travelling 2 miles in 3 hours. A pain for me, but worse for the person who felt the need to do it.

I'm not going near a train if you're on it then!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm not going near a train if you're on it then!

To be fair that's 3 trains in 23 years of commuting Shoreham to LB, so it's not too high an incident rate, honestly ! Slightly o/t, but out of those 23 years this last year has probably been the worst for all types of disruption - flooding, landslides, poiints failures galore.

Choosing to end your life by jumping under a train, causing trauma for the rail staff and disrupting the lives of 1000's in dam inconsiderate. There are 100's of easier ways.

What's wrong with simply holding your breath for too long?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Choosing to end your life by jumping under a train, causing trauma for the rail staff and disrupting the lives of 1000's in dam inconsiderate. There are 100's of easier ways.

What's wrong with simply holding your breath for too long?

We've been over this many times before, and to be fair, if you're in the frame of mind to be contemplating something like that, I doubt other peoples inconvenience is going to be foremost in your thinking.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We've been over this many times before, and to be fair, if you're in the frame of mind to be contemplating something like that, I doubt other peoples inconvenience is going to be foremost in your thinking.

And no doubt many times again, Tricky you are cursed in my view and I will try to avoid the 06:22 at all times from now on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just to note this was cleared by 8.30, bit of slowness, but travelled from Angmering and nearly at East Croydon, only 10-15mins late

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Been a jumper at southwick. I've not moved for an hour and emergency services not long arrived, so could be a while.

That's screwed my job interview in. London!

Thats 2 in about 2/3 weeks at Southwick. Not nice.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
To be fair that's 3 trains in 23 years of commuting Shoreham to LB, so it's not too high an incident rate, honestly ! Slightly o/t, but out of those 23 years this last year has probably been the worst for all types of disruption - flooding, landslides, poiints failures galore.

A guy I know that's a train driver once told me they if they hit 3 jumpers during their career they get early retirement on full pay. I'm not sure how true that is but I imagine it's pretty distressing for the driver.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A guy I know that's a train driver once told me they if they hit 3 jumpers during their career they get early retirement on full pay. I'm not sure how true that is but I imagine it's pretty distressing for the driver.

Unlikely in my view as they would be paying into a 2/3 pension.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Not true.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Clearly it is distressing for the driver, I know todays guy was pretty shaken up, according to the guard - but as the frequency of these events are unfortunately quite high, I think in practical terms, early retirement doesn't sound likely, but with their unions, who knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here