Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone still in denial?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I forgot the season has already ended and we are bottom 3. Whatever happens I am Potter in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Vast majority? Latest poll says just under 61% are Potter in (at time of posting). Whether you are in, out or fence at the moment, that is not a vast majority.

Whilst Junior might be a bit more hardcore than most on here when it comes to his views about Potter, there are plenty more who are not as enamoured with him as you are.

145% more voted for than against. Seems like that's a vast majority.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Whether it is likely or unlikely that we’ll get relegated then either way I’ll continue to support my team thanks. You enjoy the doom & gloom you’re obviously craving

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
- 9 transfer windows have left some unsolved squad weaknesses.

I think the current problem is having to play a back 4, given that Webster, Lamptey and March are all out injured, The lack of a quality LWB and cover for that position has been well known for some time, but our current transfer approach is buying in youngsters to develop to ensure a resale value in the future, Nothing wrong in this, bit it does require a period of time until the depth is there.

If we are unable to get Webster back soon to at least enable us to play 3CBs and 2WBs we will have more of a struggle to stay afloat.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I agree he is taking us down and he should have gone in November. I have said so all along. But comparisons with Archer and Bellotti are wide of the mark! Need a minimum of 4 points from Stains and the Toon. Minimum. And even that may not be enough, tough run of games after the break.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I think the current problem is having to play a back 4, given that Webster, Lamptey and March are all out injured, The lack of a quality LWB and cover for that position has been well known for some time, but our current transfer approach is buying in youngsters to develop to ensure a resale value in the future, Nothing wrong in this, bit it does require a period of time until the depth is there.

If we are unable to get Webster back soon to at least enable us to play 3CBs and 2WBs we will have more of a struggle to stay afloat.

We are definitely better playing a back 3 and not exposing BDB at left back.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I rate those 3 players very highly. Love Solly, he gives balance, drive and tenacity to an Albion team.

It has hit us, but some other EPL clubs have also lost so many key players to injury. I can only recall two Albion seasons where we had relative strength in depth in every position - 2015/16 and 2016/17 eg 4 great CB’s, 4 great CM’ers.

The admirable youngsters-focused transfer policy seems a huge gamble. I’m sure cerebral TB never envisaged that we’d be in our current league position almost 2 seasons into the Ashworth/Potter project.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, but you have to wonder how well this is working. We've just let the promising Max Sanders go for a 'nominal fee' - we've got the likes of Ostigard, Clarke, Gyokeres and Molumby looking likely to do similar in the not too distant future.

Perhaps in retrospect it would have been better to push Leeds up to 30M and sold them White - that would at least have established that Brighton nurtured youngsters go for a few million rather than a few thousand.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In fairness to Junior, he pointed out we were in trouble early in the season, didn’t quite believe the hype etc and got dogs abuse for it. probably just wants a apology from those that gave it out and who, fast forward to March, look like ending the season with egg on their faces. However nobody is comparable to Archer and the mouth of Archer. That’s plain ridiculous. Frustration boiling over I’d say.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Anyone still in denial that we are not going down this season?

It's been on the cards for months and Fulhams results today has sealed it. They are on the march and we are in freefall. Hard to see where our next point is coming from.

I've been pointing it out for months that this clueless ****wit is taking us down, yet everybody else seemed in denial. I think most people have come round to realising now that our Premier league days are coming to an end.

Potter will have to be replaced next season as he's clearly lost the dressing room. He's the most uninspiring manager we've ever had bar Hyppia. Churns out the same twaddle every week in his pressers, sucking through his teeth and telling us we are learning...which is clearly bullshit.

Turning some decent players into absolute donkeys, coaching out the ability to score goals, random substitutions, playing Dan Burn every week which should be a criminal offence.

Can't think of anyone who has damaged this club more since Belotti and Archer.

:):bowdown:

Loving the reference to Bellotti and Archer. You missed out Satan though. Apart from that 9/10

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Come on junior. Show us yer betting slip.

Put your money where your mouth is.

I’ve taken the 11/2 at betfair. Kicking myself I didn’t back it after the West Brom horror show to be honest. I hope as much as we all do that I won’t be collecting but that is a still a great risk/reward bet and will be a small consolation if we end up kicking off the season against Coventry or Luton.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Who would you have replace Potter, who would you suggest is better placed to move us up the table with our budget?

There are two vastly experienced managers in Big Sam and Steve Bruce who are both struggling, the latter with a much more costly squad than ours in terms of wages?

Farke at Norwich has proven himself very able in the 2nd tier but was an abject failure in this division yet still probably holds the highest stock outside of the top flight. Would he be on your shortlist??

Scott Parker is now proving himself to be a good coach and is showing himself to be up to the challenge of managing at this level, he's also had a bit to spend. They have been in a perilous position throughout this season, we have spent zero days or weeks in the bottom 3. Would you take him?

Last year Chris Wilder looked to be the messiah yet with the same squad of players his team have been one of the weakest teams in the Premier league era.

I've waffled on granted but we have started the season with a wage budget that sits in the bottom 4 of the most competitive league in the world. Everything to all but the most deluded, pointed to a season of relative struggle. Sure we could have done an Aston Villa but we were just as likely to do a Sheffield United!

I don't think I'm deluded or in denial to place myself firmly in the Potter IN camp because I believe he's shown enough to bring us success, even if we have to go down to come back again. I have more faith in him than the realistic alternatives.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, but you have to wonder how well this is working. We've just let the promising Max Sanders go for a 'nominal fee' - we've got the likes of Ostigard, Clarke, Gyokeres and Molumby looking likely to do similar in the not too distant future.

Perhaps in retrospect it would have been better to push Leeds up to 30M and sold them White - that would at least have established that Brighton nurtured youngsters go for a few million rather than a few thousand.

Pretty much just takes one successful case (like Sanchez or BW) to "compensate" for buying x youngsters who never become anything (which is going to be the majority). Most players are going to leave for free or very cheap, its the same in every academy regardless of how successful it is.

Take one of the best academies in the world (for a very long while), Jong Ajax. In their 2016 squad they had De Ligt (now Juventus) and Justin Kluivert (Roma) and they made the club ca £80m. The rest? 0 - some of them are no longer playing professionaly, two are in the Ajax senior squad, some left for smaller clubs for free. Thats all you can hope for really. In the case of Sanders he had a decent loan spell at a poor League One club and now he is 22 years old. Theres no "few millions" in his case no matter what you do with Ben White.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here