Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone playing bar billiards regularly?

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
My current working arrangements mean I can't be sure if I'll be around on the evenings, I'll have to wait until I retire! The other thing with bar billiards of course was that women played on an equal footing with men. There was woman I remember who I THINK was called Anne Richards who was a decent player. Pretty sure I'd heard she'd sadly died as well.

There is some good women players out there , and yes Anne Richards was one , she was the one i played the table out against :( not very gentlemanly i know . She past away sometime ago correct , and recently her then husband Brian Richards won the World Bar Billiards Plate competition in Jersy at the beginning of the month.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I played Bar Billiards for the Long Man of Wlmington 2nds back in the mid-80s. Great game. My stepfather was a very good player and played for the Crabtree for years before he met my mum and moved to Hollingbury. There was a pub just behind the level which was the mecca for Bar Billiards in Brighton. I'm sure they had four teams. I wasn't very good but it was a really enjoyable evening's entertainment.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I played Bar Billiards for the Long Man of Wlmington 2nds back in the mid-80s. Great game. My stepfather was a very good player and played for the Crabtree for years before he met my mum and moved to Hollingbury. There was a pub just behind the level which was the mecca for Bar Billiards in Brighton. I'm sure they had four teams. I wasn't very good but it was a really enjoyable evening's entertainment.

Was that the Crabtree in Lancing ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes that's the one.

Who was your stepfather if you don't mind me asking? These names are coming back to me now and I seem to remember there was a guy called Ian Lelliot who was pretty good. I played for the Balltree and the Britannia and various times, but never the Crabtree.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
They've got a table in the New Sussex Hotel in Lancing, I've watched the guys in there make the exact same shot dozens and dozens of times in a row. I don't see the fun in it to be honest, too repetitive. Surely if you can play one shot you can play them all?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They've got a table in the New Sussex Hotel in Lancing, I've watched the guys in there make the exact same shot dozens and dozens of times in a row. I don't see the fun in it to be honest, too repetitive. Surely if you can play one shot you can play them all?
Where the hell is the New Sussex? I lived in Lancing for twenty four years and I've never heard of it. (EDIT: It's not the place that used to be The Sussex Potter is it?)

But yes, you need to master the break (which you can only play three times), and then master the art of getting them both balls back down. And then do it again and again. It's a lot harder than it looks!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Where the hell is the New Sussex? I lived in Lancing for twenty four years and I've never heard of it.

But yes, you need to master the break (which you can only play three times), and then master the art of getting them both balls back down. And then do it again and again. It's a lot harder than it looks!

The New Sussex is the new name for the Three Horseshoes, changed a couple of years ago.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Who was your stepfather if you don't mind me asking? These names are coming back to me now and I seem to remember there was a guy called Ian Lelliot who was pretty good. I played for the Balltree and the Britannia and various times, but never the Crabtree.
Peter Reeves. I think he lived there in the early to mid-70s before his first marriage broke up but definitely played for them about that time. He took me back there a few times. I remember it being a huge barn of a place. Peter passed away in 1994. I'm pretty certain he would have known all those names from that area mentioned earlier in this thread.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Peter Reeves. I think he lived there in the early to mid-70s before his first marriage broke up but definitely played for them about that time. He took me back there a few times. I remember it being a huge barn of a place. Peter passed away in 1994. I'm pretty certain he would have known all those names from that area mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks. I don't remember the name specifically but I'm sure our paths would have crossed as I played against the Crabtree a few times.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeh think Peter was before my time , i knew the Colin and Barry Barnett and Mick Moore and a few others .

Brovion , if you don't mind me asking what is your name and who you play for ? RAFA club i also remember Terry Denyer playing for.
PM sent!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here