Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone playing bar billiards regularly?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Good players can rack up several thousand on a good break. I have seen people make this look very simple indeed. As an occasional and limited player, I am delighted with anything over 500, when my nerve starts to go and those pins seem to grow bigger with every shot. Great game of skill, I just wish I had some talent for it.

Good players can rack up several thousand on a good break. I have seen people make this look very simple indeed. As an occasional and limited player, I am delighted with anything over 500, when my nerve starts to go and those pins seem to grow bigger with every shot. Great game of skill, I just wish I had some talent for it.

I was watching some guy last night must have racked up 5,000 points plus,bloody machine left me open mouthed:facepalm: JUST WONDERED IF THAT WAS NORMAL FOR A PUB TEAM?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Love bar billiards but hardly any pubs have a table these days.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Depends on the standard. My dad plays, won his game last night with 9000 and was still the lowest score on his 5-man team.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
My boss went couple of weeks ago to World Champs in Guernsey (goes every year) and the top guys can get 15000+ from the break. They play two legs so player 2 has a chance, winner is highest total.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
I play in the brighton league and my best break has been around the 9k mark with top score about 14k. To give an idea i think the top break last year was around 21k in around 19 mins. Still a few pubs in hanover / elm grove area have tables. Montreal, Albion, Horse and Groom and The Branch.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
My boss went couple of weeks ago to World Champs in Guernsey (goes every year) and the top guys can get 15000+ from the break. They play two legs so player 2 has a chance, winner is highest total.

Yes that was the other weekend in Jersey. Around 140 entries this year and the final was won 17k - 15k, this version is played off the spot. Playing every shot off the spot and not the D makes the game even harder.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've seen players get 20,000 + time and time again. On automatic pilot. Other player does not get a look in at all.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s I used to play in the Worthing League for a variety of pubs and the general rule was if you could get a total score of between 4500 to 5000 you'd win more games than you lost. For ordinary players (which I most definitely was) a break of anything over 2000 was considered 'good', but there were a select group to whom that was a poor score, they were the ones who would play out the table from first shot to potting the last ball. Can't remember all the names but Terry Denyer was one. Also Dave France (or Francis), plus Tony Lewis and Mark James

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s I used to play in the Worthing League for a variety of pubs and the general rule was if you could get a total score of between 4500 to 5000 you'd win more games than you lost. For ordinary players (which I most definitely was) a break of anything over 2000 was considered 'good', but there were a select group to whom that was a poor score, they were the ones who would play out the table from first shot to potting the last ball. Can't remember all the names but Terry Denyer was one. Also Dave France (or Francis), plus Tony Lewis and Mark James

I worked n The John Selden Durrington part time as did Terry Denyer in the late 60s . We had a pub by 1970 so Terry worked with me and played bar billiards before then. I thought, but maybe wrong, when he worked at The John Selden he had virtually packed up playing bar billiards so surprised you say it was the early 80s.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic

Dave France is correct , they are all still playing . I gave up a year and a half ago as moved to Czech , played in Worthing and Mid Sussex league , great old game , not so good if your on the other end of a battering but in my book its a very social game , everyone knows everyone and if you lose 99% of people are very graceful in defeat. My highset break is about 15,500 and have played the table out a couple of times. Normally played in good boozers too with Real Ale .

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dave France is correct , they are all still playing . I gave up a year and a half ago as moved to Czech , played in Worthing and Mid Sussex league , great old game , not so good if your on the other end of a battering but in my book its a very social game , everyone knows everyone and if you lose 99% of people are very graceful in defeat. My highset break is about 15,500 and have played the table out a couple of times. Normally played in good boozers too with Real Ale .
Glad it's still going, it seems that now that the casual 'make up the numbers' players like me wouldn't get a look-in now. I can't remember the last time I saw a table. But yeah, it was very social. If you lost you always bought the winner and drink, and the home team used to provide a plate of sandwiches or stuff.

Is Terry still playing as he must be best part of 70 now.
I last saw Terry about ten years ago. He remembered me as he once lost to me. Note I said 'lost' not that I 'won', as he was absolutely thrashing me when with the bar down he knocked over the black! That must have been about thirty years prior and he still remembered it as if it were yesterday!

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Brovion , there are teams looking for players still , some young players coming through the ranks but still short of players , even teams with a full team still need reserves so you will easily get a game , 2 or 3 teams are really good but the rest you will have a chance to win after a bit of practice.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Brovion , there are teams looking for players still , some young players coming through the ranks but still short of players , even teams with a full team still need reserves so you will easily get a game , 2 or 3 teams are really good but the rest you will have a chance to win after a bit of practice.
My current working arrangements mean I can't be sure if I'll be around on the evenings, I'll have to wait until I retire! The other thing with bar billiards of course was that women played on an equal footing with men. There was woman I remember who I THINK was called Anne Richards who was a decent player. Pretty sure I'd heard she'd sadly died as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here