Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone own a Smart car?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Just had one behind me for most of the trip home.... through the wilds of Maine, no less.

Not a common sight here in the States, and certainly not up heah in the woods -- the home of pickups and Subarus and clapped-out Volvo 850's...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Iv'e just got rid of my Merc A190, steering, suspension, £300 for one sensor, cost a bloody fortune for parts/ labour. Small cars which Merc are involved in are shite imo.

odd isnt it? a mate drove A190s as private cab, dropped three gearboxs and an engine in six months or so. he was one of the lucky drivers apparently.

also note the Smart is actually made in France, so accounts for less than Germanic quality.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Hi
Have a smart roadster coupe - boot in front and the back
Sporty looking
Handling great
100 Quid road tax
Petrol 50mpg
Drives really well and had no problems
797Cc power pocket
I service every 6k

Mate of mine has a C1 and loves it! He also gets about 60/65 mpg so much better than the smart, it can also go on a motorway and is cheaper in road tax. Just as a comparison not trying to undermine

Jul 5, 2003
My Wife drives a Peugeot 107. Clone of the Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo.

Cheap Tax, cheap insurance, fuel consumption is excellent and you can park it in the smallest of spaces. The 3 Cylinder engine is very pokey and the car is easy to drive.

She loves it and you can pick them up at much better prices than the Smart.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My Wife drives a Peugeot 107. Clone of the Citroen C1 and Toyota Aygo.

Cheap Tax, cheap insurance, fuel consumption is excellent and you can park it in the smallest of spaces. The 3 Cylinder engine is very pokey and the car is easy to drive.

She loves it and you can pick them up at much better prices than the Smart.

This!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Two friends of mine one had the other still has one, from what I can see as an observer they both appear to have had their. More than far share of trouble both have had brake and engine managment system faults and both have broken down on route I think one was a fuel pump not shoure. About the other one

Nope, not one word.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Is the answer to the thread title Former Brighton and Hove Albion footballer Kane Louis?

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
50 mpg ,am surprised its not more .I have a 2.0 diesel which isnt far off that .Re changing bulbs ,anyone changed a renault side light.:censored:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I got rid of the Merc A190, thank god. I had a look at the Fiestas seeing as they got very good reports. The 1275 and 1.4 do around 38mpg, so i had a look at the 1.6 diesel that did 52mpg. I happened to come across the 1.6 tdi Econetic, that comes with no road tax. I got a 3 year old one, just finished its 3 year stint as a Motobility ex. Only had 19500 on the clock. I get 67.5 mpg, and that includes queuing through Worthing, Arundel and Chi in the rush hour. I'm pleased with it actually and hopefully won't shit myself when i get the repair bills in like i did with the A190.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
I got rid of the Merc A190, thank god. I had a look at the Fiestas seeing as they got very good reports. The 1275 and 1.4 do around 38mpg, so i had a look at the 1.6 diesel that did 52mpg. I happened to come across the 1.6 tdi Econetic, that comes with no road tax. I got a 3 year old one, just finished its 3 year stint as a Motobility ex. Only had 19500 on the clock. I get 67.5 mpg, and that includes queuing through Worthing, Arundel and Chi in the rush hour. I'm pleased with it actually and hopefully won't shit myself when i get the repair bills in like i did with the A190.

What a load of rubbish Mercedes are amazing cars , yes high parts price, but they never go wrong for me..

I've had a A150 55reg for 5 years best car I've ever had for reliability, done 130,000 miles from new and cost me nothing to repair, I use it for commuting 23,000 miles a year!! ( just bought tyres and brakes and 1 suspension spring and boot switch common fault) , its never missed a beat..

I would recommend it as cheap run about does 46 mpg combined.

From Mercedes to a Ford No Thanks... :ffsparr:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What a load of rubbish Mercedes are amazing cars , yes high parts price, but they never go wrong for me..

I've had a A150 55reg for 5 years best car I've ever had for reliability, done 130,000 miles from new and cost me nothing to repair, I use it for commuting 23,000 miles a year!! ( just bought tyres and brakes and 1 suspension spring and boot switch common fault) , its never missed a beat..

I would recommend it as cheap run about does 46 mpg combined.

From Mercedes to a Ford No Thanks... :ffsparr:

I can only speak from experience Gull, so imo what i posted was not "rubbish". I had an old Toyota that had 183000 on the clock, had it 7 years, cost me next to nothing, same with most cars iv'e had.
I had that piece of crap (Merc A190) for just over two years, only had 83000 on the clock when i brought it, suspension went £500, Engine mounts top and bottom £400, two sensors £ 300 EACH one, steering joints as well. Spent about £1600 on the piece of junk. Apparently gear boxes go regularily as well. Sold it with 107000 on the clock. The thing only did about 30mpg.
Iv'e since learned that many owners of this model and year have also spent a fortune, even a Mercedes mechanic told me that this model is very poor....and pricey to repair.
I do about 25000 miles a year as well so what.

Edit. I had an earlier model than you, maybe they improved them.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Inspired by this thread, being a non-carist, I wondered what cars were Band A so tax exempt.

It turns out it's not all Smart Cars and shoe boxes.
I've now got to wonder why I'm pootling around in the automotive equivalent of the Space Shuttle.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The amount of money I burn on filling up my car each week is starting to really get to me. If I didn't need it for work I'd probably bin it and have lots more money to play with each month. Perhaps a better solution is to get something more economical. Despite being only a 1.7l engine, I'm averaging about 32mpg, which is about the same as a Lotus Elise. And my car is never going to beat an Elise round a track.

I see the latest Ford Ka is quoted at getting 78mpg from a 1.6l engine. How on earth do they do that? Does it have any acceleration?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The amount of money I burn on filling up my car each week is starting to really get to me. If I didn't need it for work I'd probably bin it and have lots more money to play with each month. Perhaps a better solution is to get something more economical. Despite being only a 1.7l engine, I'm averaging about 32mpg, which is about the same as a Lotus Elise. And my car is never going to beat an Elise round a track.

I see the latest Ford Ka is quoted at getting 78mpg from a 1.6l engine. How on earth do they do that? Does it have any acceleration?
Exactly.

What's the catch with the 1.6l Estates that are Band A?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

You have to be a bit careful. The MPG the dealers quote is misleading, done on rolling road i believe, no wind etc.
The Fiesta 1.6 TDi Econetic stated over 80mpg......but as i said 67.5 was fine for me, especially as i spend a lot of time queuing. No road tax either, was paying £225 a year. Mine pulls along nicely, not as quick as the A190, but that was a 1.9. Cheaper to run, cheaper to tax, cheaper to repair.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
Friend has Smart its 7 years old. Travelling into London in it occasionally is a bit of an experience - good once you get there! Not enjoyable on the motorways. He loves the car and can't see a fault with it (a common trait I think).

I have observed over the years he has had it he seems to have at least one semi major problem each year - engine management etc. The latest problem being a battery which being Smart does not sit in an engine bay but under the car - a tricky fit like light bulbs etc.

On balance I've owned a Fiat Panda (not latest shape) and in terms of mpg and ease of drive and fewer mechanical issues I think I'd choose this over a Smart.

But as previously said for both the Smart and Fiat avoid a main dealer as both charge a lot for an interim let alone a major service.

Good luck.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why is it that most Smart Car drivers are really bad drivers?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here