anyone knowledgable on amps and speakers?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
cheers for the response everyone

Just out of interest, how long have you had your Technics stereo? I've had one that seems to have lasted forever. 9 years in fact and seems as good as new in terms of how it works. So old it boasts a cassette deck.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Just out of interest, how long have you had your Technics stereo? I've had one that seems to have lasted forever. 9 years in fact and seems as good as new in terms of how it works. So old it boasts a cassette deck.

i think i got it in the late 90's so bloody ages (has a dual tape deck)!!. never had a problem with it either thats why ive never really thought about buying anything else but i think i really need to upgrade by now

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So you want to buy a gramophone then do you grandad ?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I know bhawoddy went to Sevenoaks hi-fi, but I found them rather sniffy. Went to Richer Sounds instead and they were brilliant. Made an appointment and took down my own stuff and CDs to try out and they were very competitive. Ironically I kept my own speakers and bought Cambridge audio amp & CD player. But service, facilities and pricing all great and really friendly.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Have always been more than happy with my Arcam amp and Mordaunt Short speakers. Due to moany neighbours it rarely gets a good run out nowadays but it never disappoints when needed.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
I know bhawoddy went to Sevenoaks hi-fi, but I found them rather sniffy. Went to Richer Sounds instead and they were brilliant. Made an appointment and took down my own stuff and CDs to try out and they were very competitive. Ironically I kept my own speakers and bought Cambridge audio amp & CD player. But service, facilities and pricing all great and really friendly.

did you go to the one in brighton? i think the reigate one is closer to me . i think i saw on their website theyll beat any offer you can find on the web

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I did the Brighton one. I had a Marantz CD player, amp and speakers (Wharfedales with a Marantz badge). The amp packed up so I took the CD player, speakers and a few fave CDs while they hooked up two or three choices of amp. I've had a Creative MP3 for a few years which I liked, so I tried the Cambridge Audio (same Co) amp. Then I couldn't resist trying the Cambridge CD player for size and the difference compared to the Marantz was even clear to Mrs Earle! The speakers couldn't be beaten and Richers threw in £30 worth of quality cabling to clinch the deal, so I bought Cambridge 640s. Haven't regretted it for a moment. Can't speak for the Web offer though.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
From my experience, Yamaha are pretty good. Not top of the range but good value and I can't fault them for the quality you get.

Speakers? - you just can't beat Bose.

Try these babies. I have a pair and let me tell you, they urinate all over BOSE.

Harbeth UK

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry to be vague, but there's a second-hand place in Hastings that sells absolutely amazing, done-up sound equipment. The guy has got years' worth of classic stereo stuff in there and sells it all for sod-all. I'm not allowed to know where it is because so many people have bought stuff for me in there, but I've powered an entire sound system for (apparently) about £200 from there. At the risk of shattering the mystery every Christmas from now on, I'll try and find out where it is for you.

Within a 15 minute walk of my house :)

Steve's Hi-fi

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
my old technics stereo is getting old so i need to upgrade. recently bought some pioneer cdjs so want to pair it up with something half decent.ive had the technics for ages so am alittle behind the times on who are the good brands etc. at the moment im looking at a yamaha as500 amp paired up with tannoy mercury v4 speakers. they seem to get good reviews and are well priced on amazon . i like my music pretty loud and bassy .

i know its a boring 'anyone got any advice ' thread and a bit random but if anyone has any input that would be great

cheers

I have Yamaha amp and Tannoy speakers and they are excellent together and have amazing sound. The Tannoys beat pretty much everything in their range and many above them. Not much more to say other than you wont be disappointed.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Whenever buying hi-fi seperates it's always best to :-

Identify your price range.

Research models in that range in hi-fi mags and internet forums.

Seek out a decent hi-fi shop and book the audition room to try out the models that they have in stock that you've short listed. Make sure to take along familiar pieces of music to you to play on the set ups you're auditioning so that you get the sound that YOU like.

It's all so subjective, sometimes cheaper models may have a sound that you prefer to more expensive models - only ever believe your own ears and not the sales pitch or blurb. Oh, and don't forget to budget in quality cabling too (if you've not already got some) as that makes a massive difference. If you have interconnects that you're happy with, take them along to hook up with. :thumbsup:

Happy hunting.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Incidentally, I think it's possible to pair up decent dj equipment with decent audiophile equipment for a home set up without going to the extreme of both. For instance, I have some old Monitor Audio floorstanders paired up with a Roksan Caspian power amp and then use a 7 channel Citonic mixer (as the pre amp) to feed a Roksan Caspian CD player, 2 Vestax decks, Marantz ki signature cd player, pioneer cd recorder for recording duties only, a Technics tuner and a Nad twin cassette deck. All cabled up with cable talk interconnects and speaker cable.

Bit of an odd set up in many ways, and it's pretty old now, but it all works for me :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports