Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone knowledgable on amps and speakers?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
my old technics stereo is getting old so i need to upgrade. recently bought some pioneer cdjs so want to pair it up with something half decent.ive had the technics for ages so am alittle behind the times on who are the good brands etc. at the moment im looking at a yamaha as500 amp paired up with tannoy mercury v4 speakers. they seem to get good reviews and are well priced on amazon . i like my music pretty loud and bassy .

i know its a boring 'anyone got any advice ' thread and a bit random but if anyone has any input that would be great

cheers

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
From my experience, Yamaha are pretty good. Not top of the range but good value and I can't fault them for the quality you get.

Speakers? - you just can't beat Bose.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Speakers? - you just can't beat Bose.

The Bose brand has been created around an image and lifestyle. Many people are taken in by the advertising hype. They are nothing more than OK.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Sorry to be vague, but there's a second-hand place in Hastings that sells absolutely amazing, done-up sound equipment. The guy has got years' worth of classic stereo stuff in there and sells it all for sod-all. I'm not allowed to know where it is because so many people have bought stuff for me in there, but I've powered an entire sound system for (apparently) about £200 from there. At the risk of shattering the mystery every Christmas from now on, I'll try and find out where it is for you.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
my old technics stereo is getting old so i need to upgrade. recently bought some pioneer cdjs so want to pair it up with something half decent.ive had the technics for ages so am alittle behind the times on who are the good brands etc. at the moment im looking at a yamaha as500 amp paired up with tannoy mercury v4 speakers. they seem to get good reviews and are well priced on amazon . i like my music pretty loud and bassy .

i know its a boring 'anyone got any advice ' thread and a bit random but if anyone has any input that would be great

cheers

if you like base then JBL's could be the one for you.......rotel or denon do a pretty good amp for a reasonable price.

Best I ever heard were KEFS, and it was a pair of their mid-range and priced speakers.

In my opinion if you want really good imaging from your speakers, then you don't want too much power behind that sound.
If all you want is to whack it up to 11, then what do you care about speakers other than that they can handle the decibels?
Obviously big bass noise is going to require some strong woofers that can take the wallop all day and night....... or a subwoofer 'satellite' speaker system.
I have a Bose setup that did really well for me, currently stored away.

Yamaha? They sounded good with a matched Yamaha system, when I heard them.

For amplification I have heard little better than Quad, and Mackintosh amplification - and tube (aka valve) amps top the lot.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
It sounds like you are not really in the Hi fi arena - more disco. So you want something able to handle high power over long periods, JBL also gets my vote.

BUT most high output speakers are very inefficient so you will need an amp with plenty of watts to get those speakers really singing.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Well, this may not be of much use. But this Amp/Speaker combination has done me PROUD over the years:

p35613h-c2bcc6495908fa9eb216daf97ef68542.jpg

:jester:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Are you looking at home or taking them out to play? Just had a quick look on eBay, would definitely recommend these, stupid price. I had a pair of them when all the pubs up north seemed to use them as budget speakers, good power and bass...I think you'd enjoy.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Out of interest what Pioneer CDJs did you go for? Did you get them second hand? If so do you mind me asking for how much? I have a pair of Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3 that I'm going to sell shortly, but cannot price them up. I paid £3,000 for them new a few years ago, no idea what they would go for now. I also have two Technics 1210s MK2 that I'm also looking to sell.

That being said, I have a Cambridge Audio amp with some Mordaunt Short speakers to go with them. Very good value, I think I only paid about £500 or something. The Cambridge Audio is more than good enough for home use (if that's what you're using them for) and as for speakers your best bet would be to go and listen to some. Also, depending on the music you play, would depend on the type because not all speakers deal with the frequency range as well as others.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
i have kef speakers from sevenoaks hi fi and they are superb, around £125 per speaker from memory and i bought a marantz all in one amp. all sounds amazing TBH.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Bowes and Wilins (aka as B&W) make the best speakers AND they are based in Worthing.

Now, if I had ten grand knocking about and a re-inforced floor to put these one .................................
02-nautilus-image_l2_w2256_h2291.jpg

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Find a Rastafarian carpenter and build four bass bins, and 4 midrange bins..then, place American 1000w 18" Electro voice speakers in the bass bins, 15" in the mid-range..
:thumbsup:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
As others have said, B&W and Mordaunt Short have always been top line speakers. I have some Acoustic Energy ones which are pretty good (albeit 14 years old now).

Very much a case of auditioning the amp/speaker combo's with the style of music you like, as the differences are huge. Sevenoaks Hifi have always been good for spending time in to do that.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Bowes and Wilins (aka as B&W) make the best speakers AND they are based in Worthing.

Now, if I had ten grand knocking about and a re-inforced floor to put these one .................................
02-nautilus-image_l2_w2256_h2291.jpg

seen them before bet they sound f***ing unreal...!!

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i was also looking at kef speakers and a marantz (think it was a 6004 amp or something ). think the reason i plumped for the yamaha is that it could kick out a bit more volume. was also going to put a sub on the system too. maybe i should pop down to sevenoaks hifi to have a listen. can you listen to any combo you want to try?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Out of interest what Pioneer CDJs did you go for? Did you get them second hand? If so do you mind me asking for how much? I have a pair of Pioneer CDJ 1000 MK3 that I'm going to sell shortly, but cannot price them up. I paid £3,000 for them new a few years ago, no idea what they would go for now. I also have two Technics 1210s MK2 that I'm also looking to sell.

That being said, I have a Cambridge Audio amp with some Mordaunt Short speakers to go with them. Very good value, I think I only paid about £500 or something. The Cambridge Audio is more than good enough for home use (if that's what you're using them for) and as for speakers your best bet would be to go and listen to some. Also, depending on the music you play, would depend on the type because not all speakers deal with the frequency range as well as others.

i bought the cdj 350's with djm 350 mixer and flightcase for £1000 they were 6 months old and in really good nick. have a look on ebay for a rough guide. music i go for most of the time is dark psytrance and some pretty hard techno and drum and bass. thats why i ws looking at the tannoy mercury v4 's . reading reviews it seems to say that they handle deep bass very well but was also gonna put a sub on the system anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here