Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A limit of two boxes per person has been in force for years as a half hearted attempt so stop suicides (one box is enough to kill you if taken all at once anyway)
Why are supermarkets allowing this? Why not have them at the pharmacy counter and sell two boxes at a time manually?

That would appear to be a supermarket voluntary things as Poundland sold 3 for £1 for quite a while.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ah! Yes, despicable behaviour.
I bought four boxes over two days as I get headaches on night shifts sometimes if suffering from shift-lag at the start of end of a shift rotation.
When I went to get them in Asda the shelf appeared empty but I hit down on my haunches and both days there was a load of packets right at the back.
Clearly the hoarders are too stupid/lazy/fat to get down and have a look.
Anyway, do check next time, there was an untapped seam at the back.

I’ve had similar luck with rice and porridge of all things. A sea of shelves blitzed by locusts, but at the very back of the bottom shelf a lonely pack waiting for me :smile:.

Missed by the greedy stiffs at 6am.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That would appear to be a supermarket voluntary things as Poundland sold 3 for £1 for quite a while.

I think the law focuses on the amount of pills (29 I think, not sure) that you can but at any one time. They would have been breaking the law selling above the legal limit so must have been 8 in box or summat.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I think the law focuses on the amount of pills (29 I think, not sure) that you can but at any one time. They would have been breaking the law selling above the legal limit so must have been 8 in box or summat.

Boxes have 16 so can't be 29. And it was definitely 3 of these for £1 for both paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I’ve had similar luck with rice and porridge of all things. A sea of shelves blitzed by locusts, but at the very back of the bottom shelf a lonely pack waiting for me [emoji2].

Missed by the greedy stiffs at 6am.
I had similar with flour as well last Friday.

Not a packet available anywhere.

But when I got on my knees and looked right at the back of the foot level shelf, there was 1 packet lost, lonely, and left behind. I gave it a good home.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There's 16 in a pack so two boxes = 32.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have you looked for cold and flu treatments as they are all paracetamol based and none of the shops I looked in recently had run out of those?

Yep, tried for the lot. As a father of a daughter who’s prone to colds, plus my own man-flu’s, I know all the products with paracetamol in. Plus you always get that verbal health warning on repeat “you aren’t taking any other paracetamol based products are you?”.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just had a look online and it appears it is only illegal to sell above 100 in one transaction.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had similar with flour as well last Friday.

Not a packet available anywhere.

But when I got on my knees and looked right at the back of the foot level shelf, there was 1 packet lost, lonely, and left behind. I gave it a good home.

A funny byproduct of this crisis is I suspect is that shoppers carefully guard their trolleys as they shop.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

None of the old relaxed meandering with the trolley sometimes left on its own.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yep, tried for the lot. As a father of a daughter who’s prone to colds, plus my own man-flu’s, I know all the products with paracetamol in. Plus you always get that verbal health warning on repeat “you aren’t taking any other paracetamol based products are you?”.
People must have finally cottoned on then as there were shed loads a few days ago whilst normal stuff was stripped bare. I did list the weird contradictions I saw the other day - this was one. No pasta but loads of microwaveable pasta. No eggs but loads of pickled eggs. No sliced bread but loads of fresh bread. No long life milk but loads of filtered milk that lasts 3-4 weeks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The paracetamol/Calpol hoarding, still going on, is selfish and presents a danger to those who can’t get any.

Shop staff have told me that when their doors open at whatever o’clock, the same old early-birds every day, literally sprint to the paracetamol shelves to strip them bare within minutes.

Some t*ssers must have huge stockpiles at home, not giving a toss about everyone else.

Bought a box at Lidl in Burgess Hill yesterday afternoon (we were out completely, not stockpiling !), plenty on the shelves then.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People must have finally cottoned on then as there were shed loads a few days ago whilst normal stuff was stripped bare. I did list the weird contradictions I saw the other day - this was one. No pasta but loads of microwaveable pasta. No eggs but loads of pickled eggs. No sliced bread but loads of fresh bread. No long life milk but loads of filtered milk that lasts 3-4 weeks.

I go straight for the filtered stuff. Got 6 pints for £3.20 (in two 3pnt bottles). And there was loads left.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Rice especially basmati - for the first couple of weeks, plenty. Then another COVID-19 self fulfilling prophecy, it became THE thing to hoard. Lemmings must've been three giant bags of the stuff each.

Tonic water for gin - this was getting raided weeks ago. An ASDA delivery driver disagreed with me at the time, but then it became common knowledge that this was the Hoarders must have item.

You've got at laugh at these tw*ts.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Control is the key word. 5live managed to speak to many of the initial hoarders, some of whom are openly Domesday predictors. They candidly admitted to being control freaks in their lives in general.

Having cupboards full of paracetamol, rice, baked beans, loo rolls, porridge gives them a sense of control.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think the f***wits must have finally succeeded in filling every cupboard, garage and attic they own as I did the weekly shop this morning and nearly everything was back available.

No skimmed milk except for the filtered stuff and no low sugar healthy baked beans so had to get two cans of the full fat, but I'm guessing it will be completely back to normal in next few days.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think the f***wits must have finally succeeded in filling every cupboard, garage and attic they own as I did the weekly shop this morning and nearly everything was back available.

No skimmed milk except for the filtered stuff and no low sugar healthy baked beans so had to get two cans of the full fat, but I'm guessing it will be completely back to normal in next few days.

.......Until pay day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here