Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
But it's also the knock-on effect on those of us who haven't stock-piled. I'm now 'WFH' so popped out to the Co-op much earlier than I normally would. Once I had navigated the hordes of over-70s all standing about three inches away from each other, I found that not only are there no loo rolls (down to just under one in the house now) - but there is a sign saying 'next delivery expected Tuesday 24th March'. So, all those like me who haven't stockpiled will now be totally out, and will have to be there to get some on Tuesday morning. So, they will then run out again by 8am......

Yep, and the hoarders will be there too, topping up their stocks! Shit isn't it...

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've made mash for dinner tonight and used up the last of my potatoes. Have the stockpilers left any in the shops? I will check tomorrow but I bet they haven't unless I get lucky and get there when they are restocking.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
But it's also the knock-on effect on those of us who haven't stock-piled. I'm now 'WFH' so popped out to the Co-op much earlier than I normally would. Once I had navigated the hordes of over-70s all standing about three inches away from each other, I found that not only are there no loo rolls (down to just under one in the house now) - but there is a sign saying 'next delivery expected Tuesday 24th March'. So, all those like me who haven't stockpiled will now be totally out, and will have to be there to get some on Tuesday morning. So, they will then run out again by 8am......

Yeah this.

Popped out to pick up a few bits over the past few days, knowing that i will need to pick up toilet rolls, pasta, bread at some point soon, but been unable to do so.
Beginning to worry today because fresh fruit and veg has started to disappear.. Not sure if this is panic buying or shops are struggling to source these items.

It did make it suddenly seem a whole lot more serious.

But it really isn't.. In reality I have enough food in the house to feed us for a month comfortably... so we might not have bread or pasta for a while..

So easy to get sucked into the mindset that you have to stock up.
The idea that our first world comforts disappearing for a couple of months is causing such strained behaviours.

ridiculous really

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
You Tobies use reports from Imperiearl Colledge London and facts but we patriots know the TRUTH comes from the University of Live (fist class honors) and Facebook so im going all in on toilet roll and if any 70 year old gets in my way their will be blood on the streets

Regards

DF

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The OH popped into Tesco Hailsham on the way home. No loo roll as usual, staff told her people have been getting round the restrictions by putting their stuff in the car, then going back in, or going with their partner/friend and going to separate checkouts. Little they can do to police this. Situation brings out the best in some and truly the worst in others

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Did my weekly shop yesterday at Waitrose, Hove.

All fresh veg except tomatoes, onions and loose carrots gone. Fresh fruit was more varied; no bananas, few oranges, but plenty of apples and berries. In the frozen aisles there was no veg except a couple of bags of edama beans but plenty of oven chips. Little frozen fish except mackerel. Some vegan and veggie stuff but no veggie sausages. Milk limited but plenty of dairy produce and fruit juices. No pasta, few tins of anything. Rice gone as were most of the curry sauces. Plenty of jars of pickled gherkins. Breakfast cereal by and large gone except those strange brands from the US. Biscuits and other snacks limited but plenty of doughnuts, fresh or packaged. No bread.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Fell foul of similar at Asda, whereby they will only allow you 3 of any item.

Wanted to purchase some small cans of Sprite, which are in their 5 for £1.50 offer, but could only buy 3... got round it by buying 3 sugar free cans and 2 full sugar! Meanwhile I could have bought 3 packs of 24 cans of Pepsi Max...

Don’t think the supermarkets have got this quite right yet, but at least they are trying, but clearly failing!

Yes they should try harder to deal with mass panic buying, silly supermarkets.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes they should try harder to deal with mass panic buying, silly supermarkets.

I know, it is silly to moan, but it's when they are dogmatic about it - you know, rules is rules.

Witnessed today in Aldi, who have a limit of 4 of any item. Customer attempts to buy a hand of 5 bananas, only to be told she can only have 4 and will have to remove one from the hand - she asks if she could buy 4 sealed bags of bananas, each containing 5 bananas (20 in total), and was told that's ok, as you are only buying 4!

Also, as an aside, buying 5 cans of Sprite is hardly panic buying. Don't just blanket apply the restriction across everything!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Went to the bakery about 11AM, bread gone but got a couple of rolls. They were letting people order a load for tomorrow. I ordered a large sandwich, that'll do us for a couple of days. Went to the Co-op and got milk, cheese, chocolate and BOOZE. No tins in there. Then went to the garage to get petrol and they had baked beans.

Best of all though, The Lamb in Eastbourne is doing take away Harveys (take your own container). I shall drink well tonight.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I know, it is silly to moan, but it's when they are dogmatic about it - you know, rules is rules.

Witnessed today in Aldi, who have a limit of 4 of any item. Customer attempts to buy a hand of 5 bananas, only to be told she can only have 4 and will have to remove one from the hand - she asks if she could buy 4 sealed bags of bananas, each containing 5 bananas (20 in total), and was told that's ok, as you are only buying 4!

Also, as an aside, buying 5 cans of Sprite is hardly panic buying. Don't just blanket apply the restriction across everything!

Our co-op has a 2 item limit but sells large beers at 3 for £5 so does that mean I could buy 6 bottles but not 5 ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Agreed.

Our ASDA today had tons of fruit such as bananas, shoppers seemingly disinterested in perishables, similarly in abundance all the unhealthy breakfast cereals, sweets, chocolate, ice creams, yogurts.

Whereas rice, porridge, paracetamol, uncooked meats, chilled pasta, loo rolls .... all the usual items .... had been obliterated by the swarm of silver locusts from 6am to 9am in their special slot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports